Comments

• irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just saw that. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
    He will be missed. RIP
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    He had the same type of radiation that I had as a child. They removed my thyroid to prevent what happened to him. I got a brain tumor from the radiation, but I had surgery and did fine.

Forgive me for telling my story, but my heart ached when I first saw that he had thyroid cancer because it could have been me. I have enormous respect and admiration for how he handled it.

RIP Roger Ebert - you were incredibly brave.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    Just saw it too. He will be missed. Both Siskel and Ebert died from cancer. Eerie.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »
    He had the same type of radiation that I had as a child. They removed my thyroid to prevent what happened to him. I got a brain tumor from the radiation, but I had surgery and did fine.

Forgive me for telling my story, but my heart ached when I first saw that he had thyroid cancer because it could have been me. I have enormous respect and admiration for how he handled it.

I understand CP. He was tremendously brave.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    Thank you Juanab.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    RIP....
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sad. I used to love watching the old Siskel and Ebert show.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    he always seemed to me to be a very sweet and joyous person.
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I didn't realize he had been having these health problems. RIP. I loved his show as a kid.

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Sad... :(
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users

Why did he (and you) have radiation as a child?
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users

Why did he (and you) have radiation as a child?

I believe Roger was given radiation in the 50s as treatment for an ear infection. So sad.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
    Answering RCW - I had repeated ear infections as a child. Even though they cured them with antibiotics, they gave me radiation to prevent me from getting another ear infection. Insanity - but nobody knew that radiation was harmful.

I was also fluoroscoped every year - that's radiation to the whole body! to see that I was growing nicely and there was absolutely NO REASON whatsoever to do that. I was perfectly healthy. It was crazy. My dad was a dr. and my mom was a nurse - it was cutting edge medicine.

It's miraculous that I am in one piece after all that.
    Yikes. That is crazy. I'm glad you're here with us now.
    Honestly, RCW you just made me cry. Thank you doesn't even say it.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    Answering RCW - I had repeated ear infections as a child. Even though they cured them with antibiotics, they gave me radiation to prevent me from getting another ear infection. Insanity - but nobody knew that radiation was harmful.

I was also fluoroscoped every year - that's radiation to the whole body! to see that I was growing nicely and there was absolutely NO REASON whatsoever to do that. I was perfectly healthy. It was crazy. My dad was a dr. and my mom was a nurse - it was cutting edge medicine.

It's miraculous that I am in one piece after all that.

CP, my mother had radiation as a child for repeated ear infections. She's told me stories about how they would stick these rods up her nose for the treatment. I didn't realize that's what caused your brain tumor.

I'm so glad that everything turned out ok for you.

RIP Mr. Ebert
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    Honestly, RCW you just made me cry. Thank you doesn't even say it.

Sorry...didn't mean to make you verklempt, but I am very fond of you. I don't say that lightly either...you know my reputation as a crankypants. ;)
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    RIP Ebert.

CP - I am so glad you are here and okay!! Radiation for ear infections? OMG! and the whole body radiation? OMG twice!

Don't let RCW fool you: if she's against you, you cannot win, but if she's on your side (and she is!) you are untouchable :evil1:
    Spring1, your mom is fine, right? {{{Spring1's mom}}} - I wish her to be well!

RCW, I love that word - verklempt. Now you made me laugh! I need a beer - I feel like getting tipsy. :smilebox:

Golden - you are right! Between your warm wishes:sunny: and Crankypants saying she's fond of me :shock: I clearly deserve that beer.

Raising my glass - here's to you, Mr. E.
  • juicyfruitjuicyfruit Posts: 751Registered Users
    So sad!
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    She's got other health problems, but it's good to know this information in case anything ever comes up. She doesn't have health insurance and never goes to the Dr. when she should so hopefully if anything was going on and she told me it might be something I can recognize.

My mother-in-laws sweetie just had his thyroid removed and just finished radioactive iodine treatment and got the all clear on his last scan. Thyroid problems seem to be all over the place these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    I think it goes without saying that this is a "two thumbs down" moment.

(I mean the death, not this thread. The thread is giving me warm fuzzies to last for days).

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    Here's a beautiful statement from his wife. I def cried a bit: A statement from Chaz Ebert - Roger Ebert's Journal
    We were getting ready to go home today for hospice care, when he looked at us, smiled, and passed away. No struggle, no pain, just a quiet, dignified transition.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

• LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I grew up watching his old TV show, so he'll definitely be missed by me.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    Very sad. The result of his surgery kept me smoke free. I'm now working on year 4.
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    a quote that was posted to Twitter overnight:

“To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts.”

--Roger Ebert
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^ That's beautiful, rou. Thank you for posting it.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    Roger Ebert Cancer Battle - Roger Ebert Interview - Esquire

He had every reason to disappear after so many medical problems, but instead he expanded his reach. The article above (Esquire, 2010) tuned me into his blog. I read the "Leave of presence" entry. I knew the diagnosis was bad, and I now realize that was a good bye. I have a lot of admiration for his wife, Chaz.

I had no idea radiation was used for ear infections. I can't even imagine.