We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

...you're not black.

Becca7Becca7 Posts: 45Registered Users
Sooo....after weeks of research I finally settled on ingredients and products I wanted to see if our local Sally's Beauty carried. After reading labels I settled on a denman brush, As I Am coconut co-wash conditioner and the moisture milk.

I went to buy my items and the chick at the register asked me if I had the right products...I said yes why. Her response "You're not black".

I just stood there a moment with "WTF are you stupid" look. All I could say was "Really...I hadn't noticed". I am super ghostly pale white girl with wavy-curls. After I got in my jeep, I did kinda wish I told her I was black just because she asked me that.

Comments

• BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    Dumb asses. I hate dumb ass people.
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • Becca7Becca7 Posts: 45Registered Users
    I honestly had no idea how to respond to that...gotta love small town naive girls.
  • CurlyCutie1394CurlyCutie1394 Posts: 348Registered Users
    I'm black and I dnt use the "black" products. If it works for your hair use it and dnt let the stupid people bother you
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Becca7 wrote: »
    Sooo....after weeks of research I finally settled on ingredients and products I wanted to see if our local Sally's Beauty carried. After reading labels I settled on a denman brush, As I Am coconut co-wash conditioner and the moisture milk.

I went to buy my items and the chick at the register asked me if I had the right products...I said yes why. Her response "You're not black".

I just stood there a moment with "WTF are you stupid" look. All I could say was "Really...I hadn't noticed". I am super ghostly pale white girl with wavy-curls. After I got in my jeep, I did kinda wish I told her I was black just because she asked me that.

You should have said "So the Germans would have you believe" and arched your brow at her as you left. That would have really freaked her out. Lol.
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    i dont know if it is my fighting spirit on ur behalf but i feel like picking up some coconut co-wash right now. i used to love that stuff. still do. i just have to apply it a few inches down from my scalp. anyways, that woman is an idiot. i hope you encounter her again and ur gorgeous hair does the talking.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

• LynaeaLynaea Posts: 394Registered Users
    I had a similar experience at Sally's when buying some 4naturals products. The sales lady asked if I was using them myself. I was confused, but I guessed she meant because they were in the 'black' products area. They are labeled for wavies and she was wavy too so maybe that was it, but she seemed surprised I was buying them for myself.
    :nemo: 2A / F / MD / LP / ?E / BSL --- CG since Dec. 2012 :nemo:

This is what I'm happiest with right now.
    Co-wash: CJ DailyFix
    Lo-poo: DermOrganic low-poo
    RO: SS Caitlin's co
    Leave-in: SheScentIt Okra Repair condish
    PT: SS Caitlin's + SS PT
    Stylers: Volumax Mega Gel, Max Green Styling Gel, DermOrganics Spray Gel
    Techniques: Plopping & Pixie Diffusing.
    :thumbdown: glycerin, honey, oils & butters :thumright: Protein!
  • jmartinezjmartinez Posts: 126Registered Users
    How dumb the cashier was. Doesnt she know that hair isnt classified into races? If it were that easy, products would be perfect for each race and all of us would be walking around with butt length hair. How can you work at sallys and not know about porosity, texture, properties, and all that stuff.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    You should have told her to mind her business. I have some friends who are white with curly hair who tell me they get strange looks from Walmart clerks when they buy Pantene Relaxed and Natural. They don't care. They love the stuff.

I'm black but my hair hates most mainstream products marketed to blacks because of the heaviness/greasiness. I should have known better than to buy this Dark and Lovely glaze. My hair was so coated and producty. It's going in the garbage.

:thumright::thumright:but I love me some TN and Trader Joes is my boo.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • RizosMioRizosMio Posts: 141Registered Users
    What an ingoramuse. Even if she thought that the products are for black people, she couldn't have kept it shut and assumed you were giving it to a friend or something?

Next time tell her that ingredients make up products...and last time you checked, ingredients weren't racists :lol:
    Wow, talk about stereotyping. People should use whatever products work for them...

Exactly.
  • fihefihe Posts: 101Registered Users
    Wow, it's sad that someone that ignorant works with the public, especially in a store that sells hair products! For all she knows, you could have been buying them for someone else! I would have responded to her by saying, "Well in that case, I think I'll buy these products somewhere else instead, since I'm apparently not allowed to here" and leave. I'm never that snarky but I think that cashier was pretty rude herself.
    Check out my new blog:
    My Type 2 Hair
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    I experiences a somewhat similar situation at Sally's several months ago. Fortunately, the associate (I think she was actually a manager), was much more tactful and I was able to turn it into a positive interaction. I was purchasing the AIA Coconut Co-Wash and the associate made a comment along the lines of "are you sure this isn't going to be too heavy or your hair?" I very politely explained that I already had the cleansing pudding ad the leave-in and loved them both. She then complimented my curls and said she'd never thought if trying the AIA products (she had obviously borderline damaged curly hair), so I gave a brief explanation of CG and gave her the name of this site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • Becca7Becca7 Posts: 45Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    Becca7 wrote: »

You should have said "So the Germans would have you believe" and arched your brow at her as you left. That would have really freaked her out. Lol.

LOL--IF she is even knew what I was talking about...what makes it funnier is my heritage has quite a bit of German and Prussian.

I absolutely adore as I am co-wash, I might see about picking some other things in their line. I wasn't all that bothered by what she said...most just taken back. I suppose I can stuff her in a nice neat box by saying she was a dumb blonde with fried hair...lol. I can't wait til my hubby is done with his master's and we can move--I hate living in a tiny town. I will plan on just ordering products on line once I figure my hair out more. I did sorta expect someone working in a beauty supply store to have a bit more knowledge on their products...meh. I got a product I love and I will rock my "black girl" hair products for as long as my hair likes them.
  • BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hate it when people think that every race has a certain hair type and hair products belong to certain ethnic groups.

Hair products are meant for your hair type, not skin color.
  • Always@nightAlways@night Posts: 566Registered Users
    I got the same thing except the lady said " you're not white". I was dumb- founded
    I got the same thing except the lady said " you're not white". I was dumb- founded

Aren't you allowed to call her manager?
    I think Sally should inform its employees on hair products and how ones ethnicity doesn't effect the product.
  • belwillcoilybelwillcoily Posts: 303Registered Users
    Something similar happened to me once at an Indian grocery store.

My hair loves Parachute brand coconut oil and around here, you can't beat the price for the amount anywhere. So I was buying a couple bottles of it because I try to keep on top of products that my hair likes so I don't run out. When I went to the cashier to pay she stared down at the bottles I placed on the counter then looked at me then the bottles again then me; kind of put what my mom calls a crooked grin on her face and asked if I was using the oil for cooking. I told her no. Then she gives me this disbelieving look and says, "Well, it's not for your hair, is it?" When I told her yes she looked at me like she was in total shock then said again, "You use this for your hair?"

Me: "Uh, yeah. You use it in your hair too, right?"

Cashier: "Well yes, but..."

Then she just cut off her sentence, looked flustered, and rang me up. The comment she was probably about to make was finished in my mind...

"Well yes, but, I'm Indian and you're black. What do you know about coconut oil for hair, particularly Parachute brand coconut oil?"

LOL! I found it rather amusing. When people observe you to do something that doesn't allow them to place you into the neat box they've assigned you to based on appearances, mind you, (i.e. race) then they are thrown off.
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense
  • Always@nightAlways@night Posts: 566Registered Users

Aren't you allowed to call her manager?

I'm sure i could have, but i didn't. I was not in the mood to explain to her everything wrong about the statement she made. Or to talk to the manager. I just happily brought my products and went on with my day.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was in Sally Beauty today and a very white girl with curly hair asked to see the relaxers "in the african American section" and I could tell she was a little embarrassed. I wanted to say 1) OMG don't relax your hair!!! and 2) it's really just the curly section. I went to high school with a pale freckled highly fair girl who had curls as tight and kinky as any black hair. And back then in a small city she had NO guidance. She looked like a dandelion most of the time and just despaired. If only we'd known how to coax it!

Damn these sales associates are getting brave these days.

Maybe they need to be trained in the fine art of "The customer is usually right AND know what they want, now get behind the counter, STFU and if they WANT your input, they'll ask you for it."
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users

Maybe they need to be trained in the fine art of "The customer is usually right AND know what they want, now get behind the counter, STFU and if they WANT your input, they'll ask you for it."

Let's be fair tho, clearly customers need to be informed of their ethnicity by unqualified sales assistants, we cannot possibly know it from looking in the mirror, speaking to our relatives and suchlike.

Makes you wonder why the manager would ever employ someone who thinks HAIRcare products are formulated for SKINtone. At best that's sales and marketing not cosmetic science.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Let's be fair tho, clearly customers need to be informed of their ethnicity by unqualified sales assistants, we cannot possibly know it from looking in the mirror, speaking to our relatives and suchlike.

Makes you wonder why the manager would ever employ someone who thinks HAIRcare products are formulated for SKINtone. At best that's sales and marketing not cosmetic science.

It doesn't matter, if a customer is buying a product a cashier doesn't question their use for it based on ethnicity. It's common sense.

You know the mirror lies every time. Only you BS cashier knows for sure. :p
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Totally agree the cashier making this thing about ethnicity was uncalled for. That said, I'll take what may be a slightly unpopular stance (forgetting that lady's crappy comment for a sec):

There are some generalities that can be made about certain hair types. For example, most Africans (who aren't very mixed) have very tight curls. It's why certain companies - like "Dark and Lovely" AA hair care products - get a lot of AA customers by targeting that specific racial group, and probably why that lady was so surprised to see someone white buying a product that was likely marketed toward blacks (most of them have black people featured on their boxes).

I've never heard anyone (offline) ever get upset about the validity of the racially-targeted title of these products. I've never heard anyone offline get upset about MOST commercial hair products featuring mostly white, straight-haired women. (Although, inexplicably, I've heard plenty of people get upset about the name of the "Mixed Chicks" product line, even though GENERALLY mixed-race women do tend to have curls in the 3-range.)

Anyway, that woman was rude about it all and I can see why you'd be ticked off.
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    Totally agree the cashier making this thing about ethnicity was uncalled for. That said, I'll take what may be a slightly unpopular stance (forgetting that lady's crappy comment for a sec):

There are some generalities that can be made about certain hair types. For example, most Africans (who aren't very mixed) have very tight curls. It's why certain companies - like "Dark and Lovely" AA hair care products - get a lot of AA customers by targeting that specific racial group, and probably why that lady was so surprised to see someone white buying a product that was likely marketed toward blacks (most of them have black people featured on their boxes).

I've never heard anyone (offline) ever get upset about the validity of the racially-targeted title of these products. I've never heard anyone offline get upset about MOST commercial hair products featuring mostly white, straight-haired women. (Although, inexplicably, I've heard plenty of people get upset about the name of the "Mixed Chicks" product line, even though GENERALLY mixed-race women do tend to have curls in the 3-range.)

Anyway, that woman was rude about it all and I can see why you'd be ticked off.

I have never seen anyone's picture on an As I Am product label. Just brown packaging. The reason DL has such a large AA following is they deal mostly in relaxers.There are other similar products like Affirm and Motions so references to race in naming products are not necessary so that was a choice MC decided to make. Truth be told the vast majority of African American women I know (offline) chemically straighten their hair so I have no idea what their curl type is. If u can tell the difference between a 3c who relaxes straight and 4a 4b who relaxes straight then u have something that is beyond my expertise. I didn't know what my natural hair looked like until 4 years ago because my mom started chemicals so young and before that she pressed my hair. And I know a lot of AA women (offline) who don't know what their natural texture looks like. Some won't go natural because of it. In my family from the ones I have seen natural we have 3s and 4s but curl size imo is not an all in all indication of what will work in someone's hair. Example mine is tightly curly and fine and has always hated the AA holy grail which is hair grease but I know people with looser hair who swear by it.
    I personally equate "generalizations"with stereotypes which I think is keeping a lot of people from healthier hair and trying out new things that maybe works for them. I have heard white people express disgust to other white people who say they dont shampoo their hair every day. And me being told by family members since I wash my hair several times a week I'm acting like a white girl because black people don't wash their hair that often.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »
    I have never seen anyone's picture on an As I Am product label. Just brown packaging. The reason DL has such a large AA following is they deal mostly in relaxers.There are other similar products like Affirm and Motions so references to race in naming products are not necessary so that was a choice MC decided to make.

Even if companies don't put ethnicity on the packaging or in the name, certain skin tones and curl types are splashed all over the websites and Facebook pages and presumably advertising material (I am in the UK so don't see this with US brands). It's also in the wording, talking about 'natural' hair which is rarely a term applied to caucasian curlies, and some companies let it be known they are a 'black owned business'.
    As I Am Naturally
    Komaza Care - The Complete Hair Solution
    /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FFrizzFreeCurls%2Fphotos_stream" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpages%2FBee-Mine-Products%2F192952336480%3Fid%3D192952336480%26amp%3Bsk%3Dphotos_stream" class="Popup
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    adthomas wrote: »
    I have never seen anyone's picture on an As I Am product label. Just brown packaging. The reason DL has such a large AA following is they deal mostly in relaxers.There are other similar products like Affirm and Motions so references to race in naming products are not necessary so that was a choice MC decided to make.

Even if companies don't put ethnicity on the packaging or in the name, certain skin tones and curl types are splashed all over the websites and Facebook pages and presumably advertising material (I am in the UK so don't see this with US brands). It's also in the wording, talking about 'natural' hair which is rarely a term applied to caucasian curlies, and some companies let it be known they are a 'black owned business'.
    As I Am Naturally
    Komaza Care - The Complete Hair Solution
    /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FFrizzFreeCurls%2Fphotos_stream" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpages%2FBee-Mine-Products%2F192952336480%3Fid%3D192952336480%26amp%3Bsk%3Dphotos_stream" class="Popup
    I am aware of the ethnic marketing and have often expressed my opinion on it on NC about the topic. I have said I disagree with it. I use what works for my hair. I dont limit myself to the ethnic section.now The backlash that Mixed Chicks got was over the name. Some people took it as if you aren't biracial you can't use this and got mad. The point I was trying to make is that there are many companies that target specific racial groups but don't choose to blatantly reference race in name. It is more like read between the lines. I guess something being suggested rather than bluntly stated makes a difference to some people . As a matter of fact I have read the Curls line was created to be mainly marketed to people who are part black part something else but I haven't seen anyone mad at them . IMO MC made a choice to go that route.
    Speaking of the term "natural". When I see natural I think ingredients and not natural hair. For example when that new Pantene natural cowash came out I thought it was going to be like Tresemme Naturals. I was wrong. Since my hair prefers natual ingredients I will be checking labels and not assuming what "natural" is supposed to mean. I think an interesting poll would be asking people what influences them to try a new product. I would have to say for me after ingredients, forums is 1 and yt is 2 and just seeing on shelf and picking it up is 3.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That was ridiculous. Sorry you had to deal with that. But dumb people exist. I hope you complain about that worker.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file