S/O - What (statement) jewelry are you wearing or wanting?

dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
I tried posting this before and it got lost in the inter webs, so trying again!

What's your latest great statement piece? Where did you get it? Are you happy with it? Are you looking for anything in particular?

I love perusing the "What ___ are you wearing?" threads, and get lots of ideas from the "Rate this Look" threads, even though I don't post often.

My favorite staple items are good statement necklaces (and great shoes...)! They can be dressed up or down and help make a look more cohesive, polished, funky, whatever you're going for!

Here's my latest purchase from Baublebar, which I stared at for a couple of months before finally adding to my cart :).

Currently, I'm searching for a great yellow multi-strand beaded necklace (preferably translucent beads of different sizes and strands of varied lengths), and a jade multi-strand necklace similar to this one (or someone to make me one :-)).
People rise to the standard expected of them. GC

Comments

• TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Currently I'm covered in bugs.

Dragon fly necklace and butterfly hairclip.

(edit: I'm trying to post pictures from my phone, but the app is being a pill)
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    I love tortoise shell!
    3c/4a
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    Me too, Po!

BTW, that necklace is not sold out. There was another really cute tortoise shell necklace at Bauble Bar that was 1/2 the price of this one that is sold out. This one is still in stock.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,732Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I bought this pendant for myself for the holidays. It's a portuguese water dog, which is what my beloved old Splashy is. It's a large silver piece, and I currently have it on just a braided leather necklace, with a few beads on it. I love it.

SHOWCASE%20RET%203%20A_0.jpg
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Also this was recently acquired by me. I bought it "used" on etsy for pretty cheap. It's a 2X3 inch slab of turquoise set in silver. It looks funky and cool on leather, or elegant on a silver chain.

il_570xN.164510206.jpg
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I want some sort of vintage looking necklace on a long skinny chain.

And then I need long chains. I went through a phase when I was younger of short necklaces. Now all my chains are 14" or 16" and they're just too short so I have a jewelry box drawer of pendants w no good chains.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also this was recently acquired by me. I bought it "used" on etsy for pretty cheap. It's a 2X3 inch slab of turquoise set in silver. It looks funky and cool on leather, or elegant on a silver chain.

il_570xN.164510206.jpg

I like that a lot.

My dad was in NC and we did some gem mining there a couple years ago. I have a ton of uncut gemstones like jade, and some pretty colored quartz, and tiger eyes, that I really want to have cut for jewelry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I got this online from ChichiMe. It is soooo beautiful. It is more layered in person. And sparkly. I love necklaces.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365036760.174362.jpg

Here is one of mine. I rarely wear it. Sorry for the bad coloring. I was too lazy to go in the bathroom in better light lol
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    turquoise-teal-bubble-bib-statement-necklace-freeship-db11.jpg

I finally got one of these bubble necklaces after lusting for months. I am too cheap to buy one at full price, but one of the blogs I follow did a sale code with ilycouture.com so I got it for about $20! I LOVE it and got tons of compliments when I wore it yesterday.

I have this

uploadfromtaptalk1365039933198.jpg

Which I'm meh about

And this

uploadfromtaptalk1365039958384.jpg

Which I love but would rather have on a chain than a cord.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Since I have big/broad shoulders, I usually go for larger stuff. Delicate things look ridiculous on me.

I got this in Venice. I liked the colors.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365043617.730573.jpg

I got this at the cameo factory in Pompeii.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365043646.556110.jpg

I've had this for about 20 years, and the silver really needs polished. I love amber.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365043687.847226.jpg
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

My first 'statement' piece. I got it as a Christmas gift in 8th grade. It was my Dad's idea. I competed in a lot of musical, academic, and spelling bee stuff, and tended to place second in almost everything. I always thought I was lame for not winning, lol.

It was sort of a running joke (not in a hurtful way) that I was #2. My Dad looked everywhere for a number 2 pendant, but all he could find was 1, 10, and 11. Bo Derek still had some influence.

So, my dad got this locket and had it engraved with #2. The joke was that I was the 'number 2 daughter' even though I'm the oldest child. I thought it was hilarious and awesome and fabulous. I told him that it was extra awesome because he never puts actual thought into gifts. That was my mom's job. Friends and extended family were horrified that my dad got me something that alluded to me being 'number 2', but we got it.

If I had to escape quickly in a fire, it's one of the things if try to take with me.

It's not always a statement piece in the true sense, but it's a statement to me. I don't wear it often, but, when I do, I enjoy telling the story to people who notice the #2 engraving and ask about it.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365044406.353057.jpg

I have some crappy lighting. Stupid environmentally friendly bulbs.

• murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    My first 'statement' piece. I got it as a Christmas gift in 8th grade. It was my Dad's idea. I competed in a lot of musical, academic, and spelling bee stuff, and tended to place second in almost everything. I always thought I was lame for not winning, lol.

It was sort of a running joke (not in a hurtful way) that I was #2. My Dad looked everywhere for a number 2 pendant, but all he could find was 1, 10, and 11. Bo Derek still had some influence.

So, my dad got this locket and had it engraved with #2. The joke was that I was the 'number 2 daughter' even though I'm the oldest child. I thought it was hilarious and awesome and fabulous. I told him that it was extra awesome because he never puts actual thought into gifts. That was my mom's job. Friends and extended family were horrified that my dad got me something that alluded to me being 'number 2', but we got it.

If I had to escape quickly in a fire, it's one of the things if try to take with me.

It's not always a statement piece in the true sense, but it's a statement to me. I don't wear it often, but, when I do, I enjoy telling the story to people who notice the #2 engraving and ask about it.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365044406.353057.jpg

that story was lovely. :happy8:

I have that too! It never leaves my room. I Have hoarder tendencies and I don't like to wear things that I consider too nice or precious. :laughing5:

I do have this Supreme necklace

216934_208621349162693_5306127_n_thumb.jpg
    Courtesy of my obsession of kandee johnson, funny I don't like her any more. I don't think I have anything else...

I'm not a jewelry person. I break out over everything.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
    I rarely wear my Time Turner. I've only worn it to HP movies or if I'm in costume for some other reason. It wasn't cheap, and the chain is too long for daily wear. I love looking at it, though.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

TRBL wrote: »

Very pretty!

I love dragonflies. And butterflies. And bees. And birds. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I still can't get my butterfly hairclip to upload. blargh

• dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    RCC, your #2 story is so touching; love it!!

There are some great pieces here! I love great pendants!
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users

I almost bought myself one! I love them!

I have a simple necklace with a Star of David on it that I wear almost all the time. My great aunt gave it to me because I was the last Jewish female in the family. I'm not sure when exactly it was made, but think it was Depression-era. I get questions about it regularly despite it being small and not statement piece sized because it's VERY modern looking, even at that age.

Several years later when she passed away she had pictures in her wallet of her grandchildren and of me wearing that necklace - not even any of her own kids!

I also almost always wear the ring my grandma left me. It's big and... different. I was probably 6 when I noticed her wearing it the first time and asked about it. I even remember that I didn't like it and didn't want to say something mean since I had just been staring at it, so I asked. She always said that someday it would be mine, just like she had another ring she always told my aunt would someday be hers. Grandma had worked with a jeweler to design the ring to her taste and I never wanted to hurt her feelings and tell her I didn't like it because it was just too big, so I'd just smile and say "thank you" when she'd tell me that. When she passed away 4 years ago my aunt and I put on our rings the next day, and obviously I now *love* it - I actually do like the look of it now, but love it even more because of the history.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    iroc wrote: »

il_570xN.164510206.jpg

I like that a lot.

My dad was in NC and we did some gem mining there a couple years ago. I have a ton of uncut gemstones like jade, and some pretty colored quartz, and tiger eyes, that I really want to have cut for jewelry.

You should try mining in the unsalted mines. The salted contain stones that are not native to the area. You still get some pretty stuff, but some have found massive rubies, garnets, and star sapphires in the unsalted. The largest star sapphire in the world was found in WNC. Some emeralds are native too, but it is a different clarity.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have had this bracelet for 20 years, and it is one of my most loved pieces of jewelry. It does not look like it right now :-/ You will have to excuse the tarnished condition. 2 jump rings wore out and I have been looking for good quality jr's to replace them. Most sold now are flimsy. For now, it is put on in a way that makes it look like it's in one piece.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365115413.691441.jpg

I will be back later...
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^ A woman in Mexico made that piece. She sold through different stores in the U.S. She did the most beautiful work, and would repair anything. She went out of business a few years ago, and I hated that. I really like dealing with the craftswoman.

Okay, back to it, and everything needs a good polish.

I love this large mushroom (phallic) like pendant.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365118092.370776.jpg

Another interesting pendant
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365118159.746005.jpg

Necklace, bracelet & ring
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365118213.777994.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365118238.507617.jpg

Flower wrap Earrings and ring
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1365118295.846888.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file