CurlTalk

How much conditioner left in, and how do you leave it in?

I know I have asked this before a long while ago, but I can't seem to find the thread. I do apologise, but I am returning to CG and trying to figure out how much conditioner I should leave in and/or how exactly to do it. :)

Do you use the same conditioner you condition with as a leave-in?

Do I just add the conditioner after washing or rinsing and just rinse a little, leaving it in? Do I rinse all the conditioner out and then add a bit in as a leave in? What are the methods you use?

Also, if you add the leave-in after rinsing out the regular conditioner, do I do it before or after I scrunch out the excess water?

I am an analytical sort of person, and that is why so many questions. :lol:

Thank you so much for your help. I am working toward finding the right routine for my hip-length, fine, wavy hair. :D
~Snowy~

Comments

• medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    All of those methods are stuff we all use. Sometimes I just rinse a few seconds and leave most of my conditioner in as a leave in but usually I rinse well and then apply a leave in to really wet hair, scrunch out some extra water then apply my gel.

You'll have to experiment to see what works best for your particular hair
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    It depends on the conditioner I use. Some just do better as leave-ins than others. The heavier ones tend to weigh my hair down too much if left in. When I use Elucence conditioner, I usually leave some in by just not rinsing it all the way out. I stop rinsing when my hair still feels slippery. Recently, I've been really loving the GF Curl & Shine leave-in or Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana, so I've been rinsing my regular conditioner out thoroughly, then applying leave-in. I scrunch my hair once to get a little bit of water out, but it's still very wet when I apply my leave in and other products.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • SnowyMoonSnowyMoon Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thanks so much. :D

I guess I have some experimenting to do. :)
    ~Snowy~
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Personally I leave the conditioner in. I don't wash it out. I put in the conditioner on the length, and make sure I don't get any on my scalp. Usually when I distribute my gel, a little of the conditioner spreads onto the part of my hair on my crown that I didn't wallop with conditioner in the shower LOL.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • joeyEmmajoeyEmma Posts: 89Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hi Snowy- are you same SM from the LHC forum?

In answer to your question, I am a relatively new CGer, however I use a SKR as a leave in. I literally tip the bottle upside down and wait for a couple of drops to fall in my hand, use that on my canopy, same underneath and on each side. I then stand under the shower for about 5 seconds, just to add a bit of water and help it work along the lengths of my hair.

I probably don't use anymore than 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon. The CG book suggests using 1/2 tsp on each of the 4 sections, but I find that a bit too heavy on my hair. My hair is about 21" long, 2c, M, ii and is relatively dry thanks to over straightening.
    UK curly.

3a-ish, with bits of 3b ringlets underneath and 2b/c waves on canopy. Medium coarse, normal elasticity, normal porosity (now know thanks to Curl Wizard analysis).

No poo- Palmers conditioning cleanser
    DT- Jessicurl WDT or Darcy's Pumpkin
    Styling- John Frieda curl controller gel
    Don’t like- Deva NoPoo, JC CC, JC CQ, KCCC, plopping.
    Loves air drying gentle scrunching with microfibre towels
    Don't like plopping, pixie method diffusing

In answer to your question, I am a relatively new CGer, however I use a SKR as a leave in. I literally tip the bottle upside down and wait for a couple of drops to fall in my hand, use that on my canopy, same underneath and on each side. I then stand under the shower for about 5 seconds, just to add a bit of water and help it work along the lengths of my hair.

I probably don't use anymore than 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon. The CG book suggests using 1/2 tsp on each of the 4 sections, but I find that a bit too heavy on my hair. My hair is about 21" long, 2c, M, ii and is relatively dry thanks to over straightening.
    UK curly.

3a-ish, with bits of 3b ringlets underneath and 2b/c waves on canopy. Medium coarse, normal elasticity, normal porosity (now know thanks to Curl Wizard analysis).

UK curly.

Sorry- triple post#
    UK curly.

• SnowyMoonSnowyMoon Posts: 5Registered Users
    Yep, I am the same Snowy. :D

I used to do what you describe with the SKR, just a bit and then rinse for a few seconds.

It just seemed that over time I had buildup no matter what I did. I would rather avoid that. I want the moisture without the heaviness or buildup. I am tryig to figure out if I need more conditioner or less. >.<
    ~Snowy~
  • bunniee23bunniee23 Posts: 228Registered Users
    Here's what I do, for what it's worth. :)

1. CO wash with White Rain extra body condish or Devacare Low Poo.
    2. Apply a handful of One C or Lamas Soy Hydrating conditioner to my hair, massage in well and leave for a few minutes, then rinse out completely.
    3. Squeeze out excess water and put 2-3 tablespoons of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Jessicurl Aloeba[/buylink] in my hair, concentrating on the ends. Rinse briefly with cool water, leaving most of the conditioner in.

After all that I wrap my hair in a microfiber towel to absorb the excess water for 5 minutes, then apply [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] and whatever gel strikes my fancy. My hair is just above waistlength now, but I used the same method when it was longer.
    Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I rinse all of it out, but then put a little bit back in. I use Robert Craig.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.