We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Porous, fine hair and humidity help!

With humid summer days coming, I need help combating poof and frizz in fine, porous hair--that seems to like protein.

I have heard to stay away from humectants in high dews. In moderate dews I've been having luck with CJ Curls in A Bottle with humectants (propylene glycol and agave nectar--no glycerine). Am wondering if I should stay away from this in humid times? Is there a humectant free gel out there to use?

I also have a gel (CJ Pattern Pusha) with Aloe and should I avoid Aloe in high dews?

I also heard some use oils to seal out humidity to help with frizz. When and how do u apply a sealer? After you have applied all other products or before? Ugh! so many questions!

Comments

• NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    With fine hair, u may benefit from adding a light oil to ur leave in...couple drops, then work ur way up if u need to:). I have fine, thinish hair, so 6-8 drops or so of grapeseed (in high dews) or olive oil (in low dews) to every quarter size dollop of LI seems to work great!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    I have porous hair, and I have had some luck with oils. Jojoba was probably the most successful of them.

BUT! I tried mineral oil on a whim after reading a couple articles on NC - and it has been a TOTAL HG!!! In the humidity it holds out the excess moisture, and in the low dry air it holds in the moisture. It's fabulous!!

I put a few drops in very wet hair (I used 5-10, but my hair is long and dense), over LI, and before any stylers. I typically mix it with a dime or so of LI, just so it's a little easier to distribute.

I have no trouble with build up, even when I co-wash.

Give it a try! I thought there was no way it would work, but now I can't live without it! Lol!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    Jas76 wrote: »
    I have porous hair, and I have had some luck with oils. Jojoba was probably the most successful of them.

BUT! I tried mineral oil on a whim after reading a couple articles on NC - and it has been a TOTAL HG!!! In the humidity it holds out the excess moisture, and in the low dry air it holds in the moisture. It's fabulous!!

I put a few drops in very wet hair (I used 5-10, but my hair is long and dense), over LI, and before any stylers. I typically mix it with a dime or so of LI, just so it's a little easier to distribute.

Give it a try! I thought there was no way it would work, but now I can't live without it! Lol!

Thanks again for this, Jas, I'm looking forward to much better hair days this summer...:toothy10:
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

There's a big thread about it on here... I'll try to find it and post the link!

Found it! :)

http://m.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=145625

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • shellyRN07swavyshellyRN07swavy Posts: 309Registered Users
    Its just trail and error...I tried sealing my low porosity fine hair last summer....and it was a DISASTER! !!!..it just coated my hair, and kept building up...it took me few months to undo the damage...using daily protein products seem the best for my hair...I use Aubrey GPB with every wash....and really control my frizz along with BB styling mudd...but again that's my hair...hope sealing works for you...good luck...jas has great advice on products...always read her posts;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    2b/c CG since 8/12
    I have low porosity and fine/med texture. Easily weighed down and VERY frizzy crown, with straighter under layers

Low-poo:TJ TTT, CJ GCS
    LI/RO/DC: CK Satin Roots,Sevi Pumpkin, SSI Okra reconstructor, CJ SAC,CJ RM
    Stylers: AG Recoil, JC SS
    Jellies: CK Coil Jam, Okra gel(HG)
    Gel: JC CC, Ouidad H&H gel, Ouidad moisture lock gel

Hair loves moisture:love3: protein.
    MUST Pixie diffuse.

My hair dose NOT like oils, butters or polyquats:twisted: Or glycerin in high dews
    I'm just wondering…are my posts showing up?
    Upper Michigan Dews

I believe they are...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    2b/c CG since 8/12
    I have low porosity and fine/med texture. Easily weighed down and VERY frizzy crown, with straighter under layers

MUST Pixie diffuse.

My hair dose NOT like oils, butters or polyquats:twisted: Or glycerin in high dews
    Thanks shellyRN
    Upper Michigan Dews

• Chris1965Chris1965 Posts: 43Registered Users
    Jas-that could work! I say this as I just tried a joico K Pak protein treatment for the first time and loved it and read it has mineral oil--maybe you are on to something!! Thanks!
    Shelly I have heard good things about Aubrey GBP--will have to try it! Thanks! Sorry about your buildup issue--but your curls look great in your pic!
    With fine hair, u may benefit from adding a light oil to ur leave in...couple drops, then work ur way up if u need to:). I have fine, thinish hair, so 6-8 drops or so of grapeseed (in high dews) or olive oil (in low dews) to every quarter size dollop of LI seems to work great!!!

Will try adding to my LI-- good idea as I would think just adding it on top would make me look greasy! Never considered grapeseed oil--will have to check it out. Thanks!
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I seal with jojoba over my LI, and haven't had an issue with it ever looking greasy. I live in Florida where the dews right now are in the high 60's, and its not even summer yet....
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,264Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I LUURVE mineral oil! Joico k-pak reconstuctor treatment has my favourite combo of keratin protein and mo and my hair adores this stuff!
    Always looks great when I use it.
    shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
    I loved the k-pak, too! (Use the GVP version, tho)

Ion effective care is nice, too!

My HG PT, however, is still gelatin!!

But my HG sealer, and perhaps even my overall HG, is MO!!!!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    I loved the k-pak, too! (Use the GVP version, tho)

Ion effective care is nice, too!

My HG PT, however, is still gelatin!!

But my HG sealer, and perhaps even my overall HG, is MO!!!!

I would love to use the GVP version, not sure that Sally's would ship that into Canada tho. The protein products seem to the ones that Sally's up won't carry for whatever reason but I could be out of date on that. I can buy the K-pak at salons but not the Sally's version at the Sally's here. I don't think the Ion Effective care is available here either.
    shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
    That stinks! Yeah, I know they won't ship much to Canada. I wonder why that is?

(One of my best friends lives near Toronto - just visited her last year!)

My hair LOVES protein. In fact, it can't get enough protein, of any kind!

Are you also a porous curly??

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    yes, very! but strangely i never really need to add moisture to my hair-if I do, i have the worst hair days and get OC instantly...I don't understand that.

I have never been over-proteined, but I can get OC'd fairly easily.

If I co-wash I have to use LOTS of protein to compensate.

Honestly, I have to use a decent amount of protein anyhow. But co-wash days it's even more important!

Silly porous hair.

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    I have never been over-proteined, but I can get OC'd fairly easily.

If I co-wash I have to use LOTS of protein to compensate.

Honestly, I have to use a decent amount of protein anyhow. But co-wash days it's even more important!

Silly porous hair.

have you ever found a heavy protein, relatively cheap conditioner with great slip to co-wash with? All the cheap co-washes seem to be more loaded with moisturizers...

Alas, no. That is the great search, isn't it??

Honestly I co-wash with suave coconut since it has protein. I've used Vo5 kiwi lime, too. Then I follow up with a protein heavy RO or LI.

Cure care (also from Sally's) is protein heavy, and I use it as a LI. I keep meaning to try it as a co-wash, but have yet to do so. I'll keep you posted when I do!

I have tried adding a protein filler (Colorful Neutral Protein Filler - from Sally's or Amazon) to my co-wash with great success!!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Just wondering if anybody knows where Aubrey GPB would be considered on the protein scale....since I use it with every wash...I have tried other daily protein conditioners but none as good as GPB...
    2b/c CG since 8/12

MUST Pixie diffuse.

Alas, no. That is the great search, isn't it??

Honestly I co-wash with suave coconut since it has protein. I've used Vo5 kiwi lime, too. Then I follow up with a protein heavy RO or LI.

Cure care (also from Sally's) is protein heavy, and I use it as a LI. I keep meaning to try it as a co-wash, but have yet to do so. I'll keep you posted when I do!

I have tried adding a protein filler (Colorful Neutral Protein Filler - from Sally's or Amazon) to my co-wash with great success!!

Alas, all the great protein things from Sally's are not available to me, either on the ground or online as they won't ship these to where I am. My only hope might be to check ebay.

Bummer!! Well, you could order that CNPF from amazon and then add it to a co-wash! I have had good luck with that!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Bummer!! Well, you could order that CNPF from amazon and then add it to a co-wash! I have had good luck with that!

CNPF from amazon is also not available to Canucks...

Seriously???? No sellers will ship there??

You poor Canadians are gettin the SHAFT!!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Seriously???? No sellers will ship there??

You poor Canadians are gettin the SHAFT!!

visit amazon.ca someday... seriously pathetic what we can buy there.

all the beauty supply places will ship hair dyers etc but not the products that contain protein....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file