CurlTalk

Eating for your blood type

irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I found this article to be pretty interesting. I have type A blood and the article was pretty true I'm describing my personality as well as the foods I don't digest well.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fm.mensfitness.com%2Fnutrition%2Feat-according-to-your-blood-type" class="Popup

I really don't digest meat well, so I'm going to try to eat a more vegetarian diet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CurlTalk App
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm type A too, and found most of that to be true for me also. Interesting article - thanks for posting it.
  • darkbeautyttdarkbeautytt Posts: 448Registered Users
    Very interesting, so your blood type determine how you eat?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlTalk App
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I looked into this before, but didn't know my blood type. I called my mom (when she was alive) and asked her. She was able to tell me her type, my dad's type, and my brother and sister's type, but had no clue what mine was. :confused: I could find out if I gave blood, but I've been told my blood pressure is too low for me to do that. I don't have medical insurance and I don't want to pay out of pocket to find out. Any ideas how I can find out other than the 2 things I can't do?
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    Hahaha I thought this said "Eating your blood type" and I was like "...yum"

ETA: It said for me to avoid bread/wheat. That's like my main food group so...oop.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

• greenjumpergreenjumper Posts: 891Registered Users
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    I looked into this before, but didn't know my blood type. I called my mom (when she was alive) and asked her. She was able to tell me her type, my dad's type, and my brother and sister's type, but had no clue what mine was. :confused: I could find out if I gave blood, but I've been told my blood pressure is too low for me to do that. I don't have medical insurance and I don't want to pay out of pocket to find out. Any ideas how I can find out other than the 2 things I can't do?

Knowing your parent's blood types will narrow it down because certain blood types have certain antibodies that don't mix ( the same logic is used when people immediately know that a man can't be the baby's father based on his and the baby's blood type). It won't give you the exact blood type but it could narrow it down.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lotsawaves wrote: »

Can you call drs or hospitals and ask them to check charts or files from surgeries?

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't remember what my parent's blood types were. They have both passed away and my siblings don't speak to me, so I can't find out from them. I haven't had a surgery in so many, many years. Doubt if they would even have a record on me anymore. Oh well....I know I love red meat, don't do well with wheat or grains or nuts or sugar. Love potatoes and just about all vegetables.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Hahaha I thought this said "Eating your blood type" and I was like "...yum"

ETA: It said for me to avoid bread/wheat. That's like my main food group so...oop.

Haha! Same on both accounts...

Well, it said that I should avoid dairy/wheat/gluten and also beans and legumes, and cauliflower. LOL UH OK, LET ME GET RIGHT ON THAT! All of my favorite foods. I THINK NOT.

I will not give up cheese. I refuse.

Then again, I'm only slightly sure that I'm type O. I've never given blood and I've never thought to ask after having blood-work done. But I feel like my mom told me once that I'm type O...

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Too bad you're not As.

My blood type A says:
    Since your body can easily break down and get optimal nutrition from grains, carbs and proteins, cereal, breads and pastas should be staples of your diet.

tumblr_inline_mjv5z3SG021qz4rgp.gif

Actually, I don't think a blood type diet is scientifically supported, so I say, eat what you want.
    ehLB.jpg
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I remember when I read about this years ago the author claiming that eating the wrong diet for your blood type causes agglutination, which...no. Agglutination is huge, it's what happens when a person is given the wrong type of blood during a transfusion. It's effects are not subtle or gradual, it's not something that would ever be missed by a doctor. I might (okay not really (what, no Type As have Celiac?) but let's pretend) be willing to believe that a person's blood type should determine their diet, but I'm going to need an actual reason for it. Throwing out big words to impress the average lay person isn't going to cut it.

I mean, if one notices a positive difference by avoiding some foods then (I mean real positive differences, not like what Gwyneth Paltrow considers real), yeah, go for it. But basing it on blood type doesn't make any sense.
    Eres o te haces?
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    I had a few friends try it. It didn't work. I really believe what you eat is just as individualized as what you put on your hair. You have to try it and see what works for you.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    I had a few friends try it. It didn't work. I really believe what you eat is just as individualized as what you put on your hair. You have to try it and see what works for you.

agreed.

and if my body don't like it...oh well Imma still eat it. Just plan ahead to avoid people and outings and yoga LOL
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    My blood type right now is cake, so I'm good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    That blood type diet has been around for years. I never bought into it. After reading that article, I'm more convinced that it's BS. I'm type O and I supposedly have trouble digesting dairy, eggs, wheat, beans, cabbage, mustard greens and cauliflower. The ONLY thing I have trouble digesting from that list is dairy. I've never had an issue with anything else. So, whatever.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love reading about different ways of eating, even the weirder plans. This one always sounds weird to me but then I'm always amazed how I naturally eat very true to my blood type.

It certainly doesn't sound like a dangerous or non-nutritious way of eating so if it works for people, good for them.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't think its a 'diet' as in - lose weight fast - or any kind of drastic change, but people do digest things differently. Some people have issues with raw vegetables, some have issues with milk.

Blood types have become what they are based on evolution because of regional changes with people. Regional changes = changes in available food.

Bfs sister is a microbiologist and she's recently been studying gut microbes and the digestion of food. We were discussing if there may be a connection there.

I think its an interesting thing to ponder - not necessarily change your whole life, or act like a ******* about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oh, please. With all the **** that's gone down on this board, you think anything in this thread was *****y?

Stating scientific facts isn't being a *****.
    Eres o te haces?
    legends wrote: »
    Oh, please. With all the **** that's gone down on this board, you think anything in this thread was *****y?

Stating scientific facts isn't being a *****.

I wasn't aiming insult at you. But for the record, I am looking at it scientifically.

But with even science, we're talking about the human body so of course there will be situations where something may not apply, or breaks the rules.

I just don't understand why every conversation has to include someone or someones getting all sarcastic and condescending. Most science is always in tge mode of discovery. We learn things over time. Its interesting to learn and consider the possibility of different things. It gets irritating when every thought gets shot down. Its an article. Read it. Don't. Believe it. Don't. It creates conversation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users
    I've read it's bogus. Let me see if I can find a link.

Here you go:

blood type dietThe Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

I like to poke fun of my friend who swears by the diet. I call it his blood horoscope.

I'm type B. Supposedly I should eat dairy (which I can't) and avoid chicken (heresy!).
    I don't understand the 'it didn't work' statement.

Maybe people are using the word 'diet' differently. I'm using it in term of what you eat. Your diet being the food you consume. Not a particular calorie restriction meant to lose weight.

To me, not digesting food well doesn't just mean you have gas. It means youre uncomfortable, you have an upset stomach, you don't feel well. Sometimes you can't always pinpoint what causes it through trial and error. Its an interesting concept that I may consider to alleviate digestive issues.

If I find there is a connection, then cool. I'd prefer to do what my body likes than what it doesn't.

The other interesting connection is that its being discussed how gut microbes are responsible for your digestion, and people have different microbes that their body is working off of. There are 3 different types of gut microbes - just as there are 3 different types of blood (AB being a combination type). I'm interested in how blood types could be in connection with the microbes in your stomach, therby connecting your ability to digest certain foods with your type of blood.

Yes, in America eating becomes scientific. Because we are a country that focuses on science. And because we eat so many types of food.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Maybe some people consider this nitpicky, but reason matters. Saying, "I follow diet X and it works for me," makes sense. Saying, "I follow diet X and it works for me because of Y," when not only is there no evidence to support Y but every bit of evidence out there directly contradicts it, is something that needs to be called out.
    Eres o te haces?
    I see no reason for that in this situation other than to try and act superior.

LIke many things, even with scientific evidence like this, it may be, or may not be true because they constantly collect data, but does everything here need to be so negative? I mean, whats the point? I wasn't all like - omg I read this and now I live my life by it and you should too!!

It was an article I thought was interesting. There is no reason to 'call someone out' on it. In fact, you are in no position to call me out on anything. I don't answer to you, and I'm pretty sure don't have the answers to everything

I don't think you realize how pompous you sound.

Maybe you should be careful who you go "calling things out on."

Seriously guys, why is it so difficult to have a conversation around here?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Forget it. As with many things on this board, people love to try to prove everyone wrong, so clearly I cant post an article that I thought was interesting w/o being told 'thats wrong, it was PROVEN'.

I sometimes forget who I can and can't talk to.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^ Iroc, it seems like a very b1tchy Monday here in NCland.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    ^ Iroc, it seems like a very b1tchy Monday here in NCland.

Seriously. What the eff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wow. That's an incredibly over the top reaction. I'll just say that when I said "call out" it was in a general sense and not you personally.

Seriously, are you okay?
    Eres o te haces?
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    Cruciferous veggies like cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and mustard greens should be nixed because they inhibit thyroid function.

Yeah, not going to happen.
    I love cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and mustard greens. It's hilarious that the article named my three favorite veggies as foods I should avoid. :joker:

For optimal weight loss, I do well with a high protein, high fat diet. But I feel the best as a vegetarian/vegan.
    3c/4a
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There are other ways to type your body and plan your diet around the type...in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TMC) and also Indian ayurveda. All interesting concepts. IDK which, if any, have validity.

• goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I am blood type A. It contradicts itself: you are calm . . . . . . since you stress easily, you should try something calming like yoga. *giggles*

I am not calm! I am spastic and impetuous and emotional.

It also recommended avoiding violent tv shows or movies. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Also, it says to avoid fish and meat. If I don't eat fish or meat I get low-blood sugar more easily and feel weak and exhausted. It advised me to eat carbs. Yes, I will (have done so in the past) blow up like a whale! I was a vegetarian a long time ago and that was the most sickly I have ever been in my life and I ate balanced proteins and mostly organic. It just doesn't work for me.

Also, although I do love yoga, I also need a physical "cleansing" like kick-boxing, chopping firewood, or interval training to keep my stress level in check and my weight where it should be. I do yoga almost every day, but at least 3 days a week, I do other stuff too. I work better with more diversity! Me and an ax are an awesome workout :blob6:

I think you have to find what works for yourself and your body. Your combination of foods and activities may not work for another single human alive. I believe it can be as individualized as your fingerprints.

ETA: I didn't read the whole thread before I responded. I merely stated why it wouldn't work for me. The most important point I tried to make is bolded.
    legends wrote: »
    Wow. That's an incredibly over the top reaction. I'll just say that when I said "call out" it was in a general sense and not you personally.

Seriously, are you okay?

Who knows. Maybe I'm irritable today as well. But honestly, it was meant as a completely benign conversation. Why was it necessary (and this is not only and specifically for you) to throw some snark in there? Its possible to have a decent conversation without it. Sometimes its nice to talk about stuff and not use it as an attempt to try and make someone else feel stupid. Its just not decent.

Every once and a while the b1tch mob starts marching in and it irritates me. I stay away from that stuff IRL. So I may be taking it out on you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]