CurlTalk

Rope curls?

Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
Does anyone else get these??

My hair is due for clarifying, so when I co-washed yesterday I assumed it would come out moisturized, well-formed curls, but yet flat all over. I was right. ;) (though if I had diffused for longer than I did there might have been hope for some volume.)

When my hair is well moisturized (and sometimes when left to it's own devices when drying), I get these rope curls. Long, intertwined spirals/ elongated ringlets. They look almost like dreadlocks, but not matted.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1364753670.920504.jpg

What's the deal? Lol
2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
Seal - MO or Jojoba
DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing

Comments

• YoshimiYoshimi Posts: 237Registered Users
    I get some underneath, no idea why, but I love them and wish I could figure out getting them all over.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App
    2C, Medium thickness, Low posity
    Recovering from a year of keratin and bleach with CG

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

Weekly gelatin protien treatments.
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    Sorry, I just wanted your opinion as to wether or not you liked them or despised them.

I got a lot of them (underneath) after I got my first deva cut last week. She left a boatload of conditioner in (trickle rinse = ew) and then added lots of gel. She told me to stop combing my hair after my final rinse as it would pull out my curl. I just feel the need to brush once more after I get out of the shower because of the tangles. I haven't gotten any "rope curls" since, lol.

Hope you figure it out :D
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    Lol! Mine are underneath, too! If my canopy did it, too, I might not mind so much!

Mine are pretty elongated - like someone took a pretty ringlet and stretched it out.

I comb my hair in the shower, then add in my LI, comb again just smooth the hairs that get "caught up" in the clumps, then finger comb and gently scrunch to get the curls started before sealing and applying stylers.

So I don't think it's a combing issue! Lol!!

My hair is mainly 3a, with some 3b (under) and some 2c (canopy). I don't know if I happens underneath bc the curls are tighter or bc the hair is longer. (I have layers)

It's not so much that I mind them either way - I wish they weren't so elongated, or that they were consistent all around my head!

I really was wondering if anyone else got the same thing, and if they knew why! ;)

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • Cristy_amkCristy_amk Posts: 171Registered Users
    I get them too mostly with plopping. It seems when I accordion my hair into my shirt it encourages them. I love them! LOL they're are cute and unique!
  • bluebonnetbluebonnet Posts: 82Registered Users
    That's what most of my curls look like. If I don't want them, I have to dry my hair to damp before putting in my gel, or skip gel and use mousse.

Edit to add: I like them too. I think they are cute. My hubby prefers them too ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG 4/13/2012
    med-coarse texture/med density/low porosity
    (2c/3a)
    Clarifying: TJ TTT shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 clarifying kiwi lime, Suave daily clarifying
    RO: SN or Tresemme naturals, TJ TTT
    LI: SN or VO5
    Styling: Gels - HESMU, AAV; John Frieda & HETT mousse; TIGI Curl Booster, FX Curl Booster * Fan of plopping & diffusing
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,091Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    i also get them and love them. they usually are all around my head. seem to be more likely to get them when i don't blot my hair too much and don't put in any product after i blot. just flip up and scrunch. think it's the moisture that does it and not raking, just scrunching. ???? and not separating curls, letting them clump however they want.
    it's like that today, a perfect hair day. :-)

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • LotusthreadsLotusthreads Posts: 27Registered Users
    I get them a lot as well, mainly on the top and around my face. My underneath layers are 3a, and I never seem to get them underneath, only with the. 2c type curls.
    Hair type: 2c/3a, fine, med density, med-high porosity
    Co-wash: tresemme naturals
    RO: garnier fructis nutri-repair nourishing, matrix cb, ytc
    LI: sukin, matrix cb, kckt
    Sealer: argan oil, coconut oil
    Gel: garnier fructis endurance 24 hr, kccc
    Dt: matrix cb, alchemy masque
    Pt: gelatin, joico Kpak
  • HouseofcurlsHouseofcurls Posts: 322Registered Users
    Surprise, mine do this, but it's just the canopy. My under layers are always large and bouncy, it's the top that does this! I did a post about this a few ago, I think.
    Rae ~ 2c/3a ~
    Wife to a 3c Curly Guy
    Mom to a straight and a curly.

"The Longer the Hair, the Bigger the Blob."

Porous, very dense but fine hair. Medium everything else.
    CoWash: Tressemee naturals
    RO: Generic biolage and generic joico k-pak
    LI: Tresemee
    Miss Jessie's Pillow soft curls, diffuse 50%, add KCCC and diffuse to 80%.
    Always wash upside down.
    WOW! I didn't think I'd get any replies, and here so many of you get these!!

Are you all in the 2c/3a/3b range??

All fine haired??

What about porosity??

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • RytokaRytoka Posts: 309Registered Users
    I get them too for no apparent reason. I am 3a but maybe b since going cg. Only a couple usually. One by my face and maybe a couple underneath. Very odd :)
    Katie
    2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
    Co Wash: As I am
    RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
    LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
    Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
    Color: Henna
    Tools: Diffusing
    :thumright:
  • PomegranateCurlPomegranateCurl Posts: 212Registered Users
    I get those also. I'm 2a/2b but since going CG (2 mo) I've started getting them underneath. I love them! I think they're super cute and wish I had more. I have no idea really what I'm doing to get them other than cowashing... I haven't figured out a routine yet in terms of plopping/scrunching etc. or stylers.

Also I think high porosity, normal elasticity, medium density, medium-fine.
    I get those also. I'm 2a/2b but since going CG (2 mo) I've started getting them underneath. I love them! I think they're super cute and wish I had more. I have no idea really what I'm doing to get them other than cowashing... I haven't figured out a routine yet in terms of plopping/scrunching etc. or stylers.

Also I think high porosity, normal elasticity, medium density, medium-fine.

Well, those are all my traits - except I'd say I'm med-high density, and maybe on the finer side of med-fine - lol! But pretty much the same!

Makes me wonder how many others who get this have similar properties. And makes me wonder again about porosity and how it seems to be the biggest defining factor with hair.

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • turquoisecurlsturquoisecurls Posts: 134Registered Users
    Ugh, I get them too and it seems I am the only one here that hates them:toothy10:
    If I don't comb my hair in the shower and only finger detangle I get them every time. It does not matter what product or technik I use if I don't comb they are there and all over.
    2c/3a cg 01/10/13

Hair Properties: low( first 4 inches) / high porosity, medium density, fine/medium texture Climate : hot humid summer, coastal GA

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut / Everlasting Sunshine, V05
    Rinse out :Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, VO5 ocean refresh
    LI: SMCHM ,SMCS, JCRR,
    Gel: La Looks sport, Volumax mega gel,Biosilk Rock Hard gel my HG

Love ACV , pedaheh's gelatin treatment
    My hair hates everything Deva curl and Curl Keeper,
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Posts: 228Registered Users
    I like them, even though I'm the only one that knows they are there. I've developed two big fat ones on either side at the nape of my neck. They are hidden away. If I pineapple, they often manage to hang in there for one night but rarely make it a second night. I wish my curl pattern was more consistent. Bouncy rope curls are my dream hair.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Posts: 392Registered Users
    I get these underneath too, but it's tighter near my scalp and looser near my ends sometimes I break them up with my fingers, but usually I leave them.

I'm 3b/3c, high porosity.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

I get these underneath too, but it's tighter near my scalp and looser near my ends sometimes I break them up with my fingers, but usually I leave them.

I'm 3b/3c, high porosity.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App

THIS!! Yes, mine are tighter at the top and looser at the ends, too! I assume that's just a damage/older hair issue or something.

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,091Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    my hair properties are different from yours. med texture, normal porosity, low elasticity.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    Weathercurl and I are "tube curl twins!" I get two of these, very wide (they can be up to 2" diameter!), one on either side of my face. The last patch of hair above my ear does this, and it looks like someone used a huge barrel curling iron to carefully wrap a thin section into a spiral, then sliiiiiid it out without messing up the tube. It's kind of cool, but I have tighter ringlets or waves everywhere else. I let them dry and then use my fingers to separate them when I SOTC. I haven't figured out what makes them come and go, yet...
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
  • adorame06adorame06 Posts: 572Registered Users
    I get them too and I tend to get lots more if I plop my hair to dry.
    CG on 2/16/2010
    My curls looks like the 3a pictures
    Hair length is to my bra strap, it's fine textured, but the density is thick, not much elasticity, Naturally Blonde but Color treated because of graying going on

My hair loves
    coconut oil
    Homemade FSG
    Hair one for my co wash
    Ecostyler olive oil

Princess Brandy Brat, Chief Jewel Crafter and Royal Nanny to the Court of the Red and White Rose for the Order of the Curly Crusaders.
  • TrickTrick Posts: 140Registered Users
    I get these, only on the left side under layer. I only get them some days, and I can't exactly pinpoint what causes them some days and not others. I always thought I was the only one!

2c/3a, fine, low porosity.

Poo: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean (yes, it has A Sulfate!!, but I have Teflon hair)
    Co-wash (when I feel so inclined, which isn't often!): VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner
    Conditioner/LI:
    same for both -- whatever I have in the shower at the time (I experiment a lot)
    Style: EcoStyler Olive Oil <3
    Dry: Diffuse or air dry, or both...depends on my mood

• rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    I have them too. When I started to be NC I got two of them, each behind an ear. Now I get them almost allover, but concentrated round my ears and the underlayers. It seems like my hair spirals and end up in a bouncy curl and the shorter hairs curl around the longer hairs and make these "tubes".

I seem to get them more after using FSG or humectants.
    _____
    2b-c/3a med/fine- low porosity- normal elasticity, BSL
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,264Registered Users
    Jas76 wrote: »
    WOW! I didn't think I'd get any replies, and here so many of you get these!!

Are you all in the 2c/3a/3b range??

All fine haired??

What about porosity??

2c/3a/3b range- yep

fine haired - uh huh

porosity - high porosity- if I don't have enough protein, I won't really get them much- hair is looser and frizzier but when well PT; and let my hair air dry, I get these all over my head except for a few loose strands in my canopy(which I hate!!!!). I'd like to know how to incorporate those loose strands into the ropey curls.
    shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
  • jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Posts: 610Registered Users
    I get these two. I'm a combo 2c/3a, fine hair, normal porosity. I always just assumed that this was a 2c trait - the curls form nicely, but just don't get as much shrinkage or spring as true 3a curls. Mine also seem to be tighter at the roots and looser at the ends. Maybe its a common trait to those of us who straddle the wavy/curly fence.
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
  • testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users
    I get them too (mine of course look like much thiner ropes than yours) and mine turn up all over my head in different spots. I have different properties than you as far as porosity (my hair is low to normal porosity).

I don't mind mine on first day hair but I am less of a fan of them on the second day because they usually continue to look defined and perfect while the rest of my curls become more expanded which makes them stand out more. I usually break them up on day two.

I always thought it had to do with the shape of my curls because I tend to get them in the areas where I have more spirally rather than flat S shaped curls (I have a mix of small spirals and Ss all over my head). I always thought it was the result of the spiral curls just sort of spiraling around each other. But now that I am thinking about it, maybe it is also related to density (the denser your curls the more likely you are to have these turn up).
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
  • bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    jsuzkelley wrote: »
    I get these two. I'm a combo 2c/3a, fine hair, normal porosity. I always just assumed that this was a 2c trait - the curls form nicely, but just don't get as much shrinkage or spring as true 3a curls. Mine also seem to be tighter at the roots and looser at the ends. Maybe its a common trait to those of us who straddle the wavy/curly fence.

OMG, I literally just asked about this on the 2 forum... I'm not the only one with "reverse" curl definition!
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
  • jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Posts: 610Registered Users
    bosanbo wrote: »
    jsuzkelley wrote: »

OMG, I literally just asked about this on the 2 forum... I'm not the only one with "reverse" curl definition!

I only get this "reverse" curl thing on these rope curls. Otherwise, my hair is normally less curly at the roots. I usually get these rope curls happening in the sections behind my ears - ironically, these are the sections I will absentmindedly twirl throughout the day - so, does my twirling cause the ropes, or does my hand naturally gravitate to the ropes for twirling? Lol! I love the crazy unpredictablility of my hair :)

I agree that density may play a factor - and these "ropes" seem to show up where my hair naturally clumps together better on its own (vs. my canopy, where the curls seem to naturally break apart more).
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    Also in the 2C-3B range. :dwarf: I get them too usually 1 or 2 once in a while (maybe a biweekly appearance) and didn't know what was causing them. Could it be a need to clarify? I figured it was too much product weighing down a curl and my hair forming a snake. . . I usually fix them by breaking the clump rewetting and a quick scrunch.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

• LadyPlymdaleLadyPlymdale Posts: 24Registered Users
    This happens to my hair quite a lot & doesn't seem to be buildup related.

I always figured it was a natural part of straddling the wavy/curly divide, independent of other hair properties. I am 2C/3A, mostly coarse & porous.

I hated them at first, since they looked like deflated ringlets, but I have come to accept rope curls as part of the wild mix that is my hair. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlTalk App

2C/3A--med-coarse, slightly porous (highlighted), very dry & protein sensitive

No-Poo: Naturally Amari Berry No-Poo (w/o Aloe & Horsetail)

Condition: Suave Daily Clarifying & Sun-Ripened Strawberry

Stylers: 4Naturals Spring Back, L'oreal Everstyle Curl Defining Gel

Avoiding: sulfates, ‘cones, parabens, polyquats/cationics (except stearamidopropyl dimethylamine), most proteins/extracts.
  • Iari78Iari78 Posts: 57Registered Users
    I get that
  • NelekeNeleke Posts: 456Registered Users
    I think (but not sure) I also have some of them...
    I'm 2b-2c (getting more and more 2c but I'm still new to the whole curlything).
    I'm not really sure I have them though... since the picture was a bit unclear for my bad eyesight. I do have something I could call ropes as well.

Can someone make other pictures of the "rope curls" so I can compare to mine?

I also have what I call "supercurls" which sometimes can be really really strange...
    "Supercurls" = like 20 different curls that turn around each other if you now what I mean... that gives me like a HUUUUUGE curl composed of 20 or so different curls (imagine: my whole right side looks like one giant curl composed of 20 different curls..)
    Anyone has these?
    (and my left side and right side are still quite uneven... hope to solve that next)
    2c: fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity, normal-high density
    CG since March 8th 2013
    Low Poo: Rainforest Radiance shampoo
    Conditioner: Yes to Cucumbers
    Styler: BRHG, Garnier Fructis Gel
    PT: Gliss Kur Repair & Volume

iherb.com: get a 5$ discount on orders under 40$ or a 10$ discount on orders over 40$ when you order for your first order by using the following discount code: CFH441