We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

TV Reporter-Not allowed to Go Curly-Need Advice/Pics

Hi everyone....I joined this board recently and all ready have received some great advice from members.
Now I have a new question.

My hair: Layered and not even shoulder length. The top half is curly 3B, the bottom is permanently straightened.

My situation: I work as an on-air reporter for a news station. I've decided to stop straightening my hair because it's completely fried and constantly breaking off. After coming to work a few times with curly hair...my news director very politely mentioned to me how much more "polished" I looked with straight hair. In her words..."you're in the spot light so you need a polished and professional do." This is not the first time I've encountered this. At my previous station in Florida they very clearly told me that curly hair was out of the question...unless I worked on their Spanish station. Well, I did not report for the Spanish station and I don't even speak Spanish.

To conclude, I need help convincing my news director that curly hair can be polished and professional. If anyone has pics of - SHORT curly 3B hair... I would really appreciate it. Maybe I could show her and try to play around with my style until I achieve the look.

Thanks in advance to everyone... :-)
3B-NoPoo,OneC,AnGell,Joiwhip,Jessicurl

event.png

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    I swear have they not watched Oprah? her hair is polished and she's been doing it fabulously curly.
    Seems like our local news station has a curly.
    YOu mean to tell me all the movie stars with curly hair they think aren't polished? I mean it's the news not a corporation, we want to hear what is happening not worry over your hair.
    Now if they want to change something what about those freak men with rugs they let go on the air. Just creeps me out.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • curlylew66curlylew66 Posts: 1,685Registered Users
    After winning the lottery...
    I would do a story on it and embarrass the hell out of them.
    :wink:

Edited to add: Forget winning the lottery...I would do a story and embarrass the hell out of them.
    If you need some curlies to join you in the fight I will lead the pack!!
  • CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    I never do see news reporters with curly hair :(

ETA: Apparently, I just need to watch the news more :oops:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,754Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Have they also told you how long your hair has to be, what color it has to be, which side to part it on, what color your eyes should be? Hearing things like that really gets me riled up.
    Do they really think Alison Stewart doesn't look polished?
    250px-Alison_stewart.jpg
    I've noticed a few curlies on some local news stations lately, like Raychel Vendetti.
    raychel_vendetti_photo.jpg
    They look professional and polished. And unique and interesting.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Victoria Block, WHDH TV reporter & long time curly media person

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww1.whdh.com%2Fnewsteam%2F%3Fid%3D5" class="Popup
    [/img]
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 9,001Administrators, Moderators Administrator

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    hananke wrote:
    At my previous station in Florida they very clearly told me that curly hair was out of the question...unless I worked on their Spanish station. Well, I did not report for the Spanish station and I don't even speak Spanish.

So in their minds only Hispanics have curly hair? That is so DUMB!

I can't believe they won't let you wear your hair how you want to. Did you speak to someone there and tell them that your hair has major damage and by having it straight, the "polished" look will no longer look "polished" if you keep straightening and damaging it? Shame...
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • DarbyDarby Posts: 1,025Registered Users
    WOW - I have no idea what I would do because my hair doesn't straighten!! Well it does but it would look horrible!! I would look bald for one thing since it's so fine and thin. I can't believe they said that to you! Is there someone else higher up you could speak with??
    Once you've gone to the highest possible person and they still say no, I'd get a lawyer. That just seems like you have a case. I can't even think of what it's called right now... not a gender thing but a...... ACK, my brain is not working.
    It's worth just talking to someone about it IF you don't get anywhere on the inside.
    PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
    Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b
  • jada1111jada1111 Posts: 829Registered Users
    hananke wrote:
    My situation: I work as an on-air reporter for a news station. I've decided to stop straightening my hair because it's completely fried and constantly breaking off. After coming to work a few times with curly hair...my news director very politely mentioned to me how much more "polished" I looked with straight hair. In her words..."you're in the spot light so you need a polished and professional do." This is not the first time I've encountered this. At my previous station in Florida they very clearly told me that curly hair was out of the question...unless I worked on their Spanish station. Well, I did not report for the Spanish station and I don't even speak Spanish.

Thanks in advance to everyone... :-)

Wow, this same thing happened to Oprah over twenty years ago and she lost her hair due to the relaxer being too strong.

They can't "make" you straighten your hair. Tell her the truth - that straightening is damaging your hair and that if straight hair is really what they want then you can purchase a lacefront wig for on-air gigs. In the MEANTIME, begin interviewing for other anchor jobs where your curls will be accepted. Maybe a new cut and color could help?

Can you post a pic of your curls? :)
    Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fjada1111%2F" class="Popup
    PW: flower
  • dabadckgrldabadckgrl Posts: 36Registered Users
    What is your hair type? You really should do a story and sell it to the AP! Maybe it would launch your career beyond what it is now! Then could say you knew me when;)!
    Colored & Highlighted, trying to cover the gray, 2c curls past my shoulders. Shea Moisture Thickening Shampoo, Leave in Kinky Curly Knot, Next day curl refresher spray: kinky curly curling custard mixed with distilled water and Jojoba oil. Pomade Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade. Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz.
  • modegrrlmodegrrl Posts: 273Registered Users
    This is ridiculous. Curls are not unprofessional. Having really long or big hair that is all over the place is, but unfortunately a lot of people automatically associate curls with those things. Geez, you must be in Wisconsin or something. *wanders off, muttering about narrow-mindedness, etc.*
    "For many years the National Pretend Speed Limit was fifty-five miles per hour"--Dave Barry

PW: frizzella
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Gretchen wrote:

I love Lolita's hair! I always get happy when I see her reporting if I have on CW11 news on :)
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • GreencurlsGreencurls Posts: 81Registered Users
    Check out the pic of this local reporter on the lefthand side here:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tpt.org%2Faatc%2Fmarys_page" class="Popup

I love her hair! I've been meaning to email her to ask what products she uses and who cuts her hair.
  • CurlyRuthyCurlyRuthy Posts: 40Registered Users
    Thanks so much for all the feedback and the pictures. I think maybe I might have to go even shorter than I already am....just so the straight ends are cut off.
    Also I'll try to post a picture of myself with straight vs. curly hair(3b).....so you see what I mean.
    Does anyone know how to go about posting a picture on this site?
    Thnx in advance...

event.png
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    hananke, there are various methods for posting pics.

I use /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tinypic.com%2F" class="Popup

I upload a pic, an then they give me links. One is "IMG Link: for forums and bulletin boards"

I post the URL in that box in my message body here, and the pic appears when I post.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • tooj68tooj68 Posts: 471Registered Users
    That's total discrimination, I feel. I would be highly offended. It's like saying people with typically "ethnic" hair are not professional. I am a teacher with long curly hair, and as far as I know, I am a professional! Unbelievable!! Really irks me...
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • strawbegonestrawbegone Posts: 36Registered Users
    IMO, I'm rather sick of seeing the same old sweep to the side that most every female anchor seems to wear these days...I think it's refreshing to see a different, unique look and curls CAN AND DO LOOK POLISHED and PROFESSIONAL when given the right cut!

:shock: :x Shocked and appalled by your news director's opinion!! :P
    2a/2b canopy 3a/3b underneath
    Modified CG, co wash diluted VO5, LOVE Elucence MBC & MBS! Activate's nice too.
    Still looking for a styling product...suggestions welcome!
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Posts: 918Registered Users
    Ok this is just a sidebar, but do you think that they might not think you look polished because half of your hair is straight and half of it is curly? I know the discrimination towards curly heads still exists, but just pondering.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • pro211pro211 Posts: 110Registered Users
    Jaxie , Thats exactly who I was thinking of when I read this thread . Her hair always looks nice.
    The good news is: my news director has agreed to give me a couple of weeks of curly hair to experiment until I find something manageable and professional.

foxycus02....yes you are probably right. I'm sure they don't think it's professional bcs half is straight and half is curly. The other reason is because it's short and curly. Long and curly is much more acceptable than curly short. My dilemna is it will never get long while I have to straighten it.
    Anyway, I have posted a few curly vs. straight hair pictures. If I didn't have a scarf on you would see just how scraggly looking the tips are. I recently got it cut at Devachan. I think I will stop by there again this week to see if he has any more advice.
    Pics here:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnew.photos.yahoo.com%2Fhananke%40prodigy.net" class="Popup

Thanks again for the feedback. :-)

event.png
    Hi Hananke,
    You can always do an "up do" when you are curly.
    That way your bottom half that is straight would be up and not noticeable.
    Just make sure you take it down in the evening so your hair can breathe.
    I have an up do shot in my picture link.

And as everyone knows...
    I love Joiwhip mousse.
    I also like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Devacurl no poo[/buylink] and condition one. My hair has been growing like crazy since I switched to these products a few months ago.
    Good Luck! 8)
    Can you tell us your curly routine? What products do you use? Do you let your hair air-dry, or do you diffuse? Maybe we could help you refine your routine.

Maybe you could compromise, until your damaged hair grows out and you get your curly routine down pat. For example, for a more polished look, you could comb some leave-in conditioner through your hair after showering. Then smooth your hair with your hands and then air-dry or diffuse. So instead of choosing between "curly" and "chemically straightened" you can do a "smooth and wavy" style for a while. How does that sound?

If your boss insists on straight hair, you can always just blow-dry your hair straight for on-air days.
    Greencurls --- as for my curl routine... I still don't have a specific one yet. I think I like Redkin curl boost...and I think I don't like Mr. Right or Catwalk Curls Rock. That's as close as I've gotten to a curl routine. My hair is pretty fine and thin so products make it look stringy and see through easily.
    I'm planning on buying some jessicurl products and giving those a try before I completely give up on the curly thing.
    I know a lot of you dont' want to hear this BUT:
    No matter what anyone says....I think I've come to a sad conclusion:
    When you're curly and SHORT haired...it's just not as professional looking as straight. Perhaps society has programed a specific picture of professionalism in my head...I don't know.
    Anyways thanks for asking and sorry for the late response.

event.png
    Don't give up on trying products. Experiment during your off days.
    It takes time to find good products or the right products.
    Some things work for one curly and not for another.
    I like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Devacurl no poo[/buylink] but can't use their styling products.
    And the Devacurl for red hair doesn't work the same as the regular Devacurl. Don't ask me why :lol: but I have the red no poo and condition one right now and I don't think they work the same.
    I loved Finesse products for 99 percent of my curly life.
    But when I come and linger around the hair discussion board I get the urge to try everything.
    The only gel I ever had luck with is The Garnier Spray Gel.
    It is a challenge but so worth it when you find things that work.
    I spent a childhood struggling with this head of hair and did the straightening thing with a damaging iron called a "Curl Tamer." Thank God for the 80's and the explosion of styling products.
    Today when I wear it straight it only gets washed when I go back to curly.
    Good protective products and the best chi iron :)
    Hananke, in asking about your routine, I guess I was wondering, in those pics, did you blow-dry or diffuse or air-dry your hair? Do you leave some conditioner in your hair? Do you "plop"? That kind of thing.

You may be right, straight hair may look more professional in general. So maybe you'll have to use a blow-drier and round brush to "straighten" your hair for on-air days. Then experiment with curly stuff on your off days. The pic I posted the link to shows a reporter who has beautiful curls, and she looks very polished and professional. So it can be done! But it may take you some time to get there. Post more pics as your curly hair develops!
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    Dorothy Krysiuk on Fox tv in Philly wears her hair curly if you eed an example. ( I haven't read the whole thread sorry if she's been mentioned already) and quite honestly I suspect that Kathy Orr is a curly ( meteoroligist on Philly's CBS station) and I wish she'd wear her hair curly becuase it always looks "off" to me.

Dorothy
    82138555_d42e4c8d59.jpg

Carol Erickson on KYW3 in plhiily is also a curly. Curly reporters should unite!
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

• CurlyQTPieCurlyQTPie Posts: 447Registered Users
    I think it's totally illegal for them to like force you not to have curly hair and I work in employment law as a paralegal.

I hope you're able to find some pics that show that curly hair can be professional.

Instead of cutting it, could you just pin sections of it back, so that it's kind of up and away from your face?
    3B with some 3a. Fell off but am now back on the CG bandwagon and looking for my HG products.
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I just love that curly haired girls are so feisty!

My first reaction when I read your post was to suggest an updo, a french twists, twirling / twisting hair away from your face with hair accessories (i.e. headbands, sleek clips, etc.) How boring compared to other posts.

PS - My hair always looks a little more professional, when I streamline some of the curls with a curling iron.

Hope that helps.
    2b/3a.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file