CurlTalk

Deva products wreaking havoc on my skin!

Does anyone else have this problem? Every single Deva product breaks me out. And I don't mean normal blemishes, I mean angry, red, swollen, painful bumps on my scalp, neck and back if I use any Deva product. I went for a Deva cut on Saturday, and it had been years since I had used a Deva product due to this reason. The stylist used OneC, BLeave'in, and the volumizing foam. By that night I had the bumps. :sad5: Nothing seems glaringly obvious as the culprit though. Anybody else have this issue? Any ideas on which ingredient is the evil one?
VERY fine 2B/3A hair
Chin-length - growing it out...again.

Comments

• baileyr26baileyr26 Posts: 16Registered Users
    I think I do too. I have been using no poo, one-c, ad the volumizing foam and I have also been getting nasty bumps. I just put 2 and 2 together when I read your post. I will definitely be following this thread. Hopefully we figure something out!
  • ECCurlyECCurly Posts: 285Registered Users
    I'm going to try and compare ingredients for products that don't break me out and the Deva ones. If there's only one thing left, then I know that's the culprit. It's a shame though. The Deva stuff does wonders for my hair, but my skin just hates them. :goofy:
    VERY fine 2B/3A hair
  • bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    All the products seem to have several botanical extracts, including hops, yarrow, rosemary, and chamomile. My first guess would be you're sensitive to one of those... Carnation extract/oil is one that always gives me bumps, but it took forever to pin that down. Some people on MakeupAlley are attributing their DevaCurl rashes to citrus oils/fragrance.

My second guess would be the ever-vague listing "fragrance." It basically means a synthetic chemical with no further description. :confused: If you don't normally have a problem with fragrance, however, it's probably one of the extracts.

I haven't tried DevaCurl yet, and I'm going to stay away from them after reading this because I have super-sensitive skin. So thank you for being a warning!
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
    I know I have sensitivity to certain oils, macadamia is just one example, so it is likely one of those is it. I will still compare my products to try and narrow it down. I would like to know for future PJ attacks.

Sent from my XT907 using CurlTalk App
    VERY fine 2B/3A hair
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't use DevaCurl products because they make my nose run & eyes itch.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    Rosemary is actually a member of the mint family and mints can be incredibly irritating to the skin. I hate when I see "fragrance free" products for sensitive skin and they're full of mints whose only purpose is add scent and give people that tingly feeling (aka irritation).
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
  • creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    Now that you mention it, One Condition might have been the reason I got so many large, painful bumps/pimples on my back. I was always super careful to rinse my back before I got out of the shower since I've battled body acne from some time, but during the time I was using OC, the I got bumps worse than usual.

I've since stopped using Deva and haven't had one of those bumps since.
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
    Now that you mention it, One Condition might have been the reason I got so many large, painful bumps/pimples on my back. I was always super careful to rinse my back before I got out of the shower since I've battled body acne from some time, but during the time I was using OC, the I got bumps worse than usual.

I've since stopped using Deva and haven't had one of those bumps since.

Yep! Neck, scalp, back, the whole nine-yards. If I use anything Deva in the morning, I have the huge, painful bumps. I'm going to start taking my own products with me to the salon. I finally nailed down products that work okay and don't break me out (Elucence MBS & MBC, Batia & Aleeza gel, AG Re:Coil) and if I want to try a new product I just change one at a time to see if my skin can handle it. Lots are a no b/c of the oils, but sometimes I find a winner. Hopefully my stylist won't find it offensive when I tell him to stay away from me with the Deva stuff.
    VERY fine 2B/3A hair