Social Security legal question

RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Can Social Security payments be garnished for child support? Any lawyers here know the answer?

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Here is what I found: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1712/~/garnishing-social-security-benefits

It looks like you can garnish social security under certain circumstances: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/659

I do not practice family law. Could you call your divorce attorney to see if its worth pursuing?
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah, I found both those things at the top of the google search.

I think I'm just going to have the enforcement agency pursue garnishing the SS wages and see what happens. The lawyer from this case is long gone.
    I'm sorry I couldn't give you more specific info. Researching on an iPhone isn't very easy.

A woman in my book club, was an assistant U.S. attorney before she became a judge. One night in passing she mentioned that her job included child support enforcement of obligations exceeding some amount (I think it was $20,000). Maybe that is an option for you as well?

Good luck with the recovery.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just called the enforcement agency. They're going to garnish his SS wages. He thinks he's safe from garnishment now that he's retired, so hopefully he'll be nicely surprised to see that I will follow him to the grave to get my effing money.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm glad you're doing this. People who don't support their kids are the worst.

My sister's ex thought he wouldn't have to meet his support obligations if he was unemployed. Thankfully, she has him pay his support through the state so that worked for about a month. The first thing the state did was garnish his unemployment payments. If he ever files his 2012 taxes, they will garnish his tax refund too. Dumb ass.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    Yay! I'm glad you can garnish SS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file