Mom with curly girls needs help

MomToCurlyGirlsMomToCurlyGirls Posts: 1Registered Users
Hi, I am new here. Wasn't sure where else to find help. I have two girls -- my oldest will be four in June and has long curly brown hair. My youngest will be two next month and has short curly red hair.

I have nearly board straight hair...requires very little maintenance, and so I have no idea how to best care for my girls' hair. I remember a conversation I had with a woman many years ago about her curly hair. I was astounded that she only had to wash her hair once a week...I have to wash mine every day or it looks like an oil slick. So just based on that conversation, my husband and I only shampoo the girls' hair once a week, but we condition it every night.

So I'm really starting from zero. Not sure how often to shampoo, IF I should shampoo, special shampoo/conditioners, what to put in their hair when I style it for the day to keep frizz out...I really would not like to use heavy products that make their hair crunchy...they're just little girls. Currently I use a leave-in curly silkening spray, comb with a wide-tooth comb, and sometimes use argon oil to keep from frizzing. I know I am probably way off the mark.

Help! I'm in foreign territory!! :)

Comments

• mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome, MomToCurlyGirls! There is a ton of helpful info for you on these boards. These links may help you:
    Parents of curlies - CurlTalk
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/97388-start-here.html
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
  • bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    Just wanted to say, as one of those kids who got their hair combed until their eyes watered, that you are one super-cool Mom for learning about your curly girls! :bounce:
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's so great u want to learn to care for their hair! :-)

Exactly how curly is their hair?? There's so many different curl patterns.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • caitlyn.decacaitlyn.deca Posts: 4Registered Users
    Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey has an entire section on caring for curly kids and babies! This sight will help you out a ton and I recommend watching youtube videos- they've helped me a lot.
  • fihefihe Posts: 101Registered Users
    Curly-haired girls need a detangler! I use the apple-scented one from Suave Kids on myself! It should be applied and combed through while the hair is still damp so that their curls can spring back into place before it dries. Brushing curly hair when dry just makes it look really messy!
    Check out my new blog:
    My Type 2 Hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file