Which car to get?

2»

Comments

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Three cheers for muscle cars!! If I lived in a different location I would have one. I'd probably end up sinking way too much money into it. I know they become addicting, but I would love it.

@Josephine- haha. That is very true.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tomorrow I'm going to see a Honda element. The car dealer has excellent reviews online. I have a good feeling about this one. *fingers crossed* only bad thing is that it's far from my house :-/

I hope it works out.

It sounds like you have researched the dealer, which is good. I lucked out. I was checking dealers for a car when I heard that a friend of their family was selling theirs. The owner is a car collector and mechanic who takes excellent care of his vehicles. At that time it was 3 years old, in perfect condition, and only had 12,000 miles. I had it paid off in 4 years.

It was not what I was originally looking at (wanted a CR-V) but it was a much better deal, and I fell in love with it. 5 years later and it has never been in the shop for anything other than service and one time to have fluid ran through lines.

Just in case... Elements will make a popping noise, during U turns or sharp turns, after so many miles are put on them. Many mechanics trick people and charge them $300 to fix it. It takes 20 minutes and $35 dollars. That is good to know and luckily I have a honest mechanic who shared this with me.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Legally don't all dealers have to disclose salvage and flood titles?

I would, at minimum, be looking for that.

Legally don't all dealers have to disclose salvage and flood titles?

I would, at minimum, be looking for that.

I think that goes on a state by state basis. **Don't 100% quote me on it but that was the situation the last time I checked** Some states have laws where it must be disclosed, and others do not have to say anything. It all depends on where she is and their laws.

I, at minimum, would research the particular make of the car, the blue book value, vehicle safety ratings, the dealership, and ask about anything and everything else I can think of. I'm a research freak like that, though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'm going to see a Honda element. The car dealer has excellent reviews online. I have a good feeling about this one. *fingers crossed* only bad thing is that it's far from my house :-/

I hope it works out.

It sounds like you have researched the dealer, which is good. I lucked out. I was checking dealers for a car when I heard that a friend of their family was selling theirs. The owner is a car collector and mechanic who takes excellent care of his vehicles. At that time it was 3 years old, in perfect condition, and only had 12,000 miles. I had it paid off in 4 years.

It was not what I was originally looking at (wanted a CR-V) but it was a much better deal, and I fell in love with it. 5 years later and it has never been in the shop for anything other than service and one time to have fluid ran through lines.

Just in case... Elements will make a popping noise, during U turns or sharp turns, after so many miles are put on them. Many mechanics trick people and charge them $300 to fix it. It takes 20 minutes and $35 dollars. That is good to know and luckily I have a honest mechanic who shared this with me.

Thanks for telling me! I'm going to go have the Honda element checked out by a mechanic today. If everything pans out, I might just buy it. I'm going to see if I can get the price lowered though, because it is used and not in perfect shape afterall.
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Thanks for telling me! I'm going to go have the Honda element checked out by a mechanic today. If everything pans out, I might just buy it. I'm going to see if I can get the price lowered though, because it is used and not in perfect shape afterall.

Even if the car is brand new & in perfect condition you should negotiate the price. Did you look up the Kelly Blue Book value? Also check out edmunds.com Those are two resources to help you figure out the value of the car and will be a good starting point for figuring out what price to pay for the car.

I've driven over a hr away to get the price I wanted on a car. I did that for both for my new car purchase & new car lease. I negotiated the price over the phone for both cars.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
    Fifi.G wrote: »

I hope it works out.

You are welcome. This can start between 30 and 60k miles, and happen again from time to time. It can be a popping noise or/and a groan or grumbling sound when you take turns. It lets you know service (or a simple change) of the rear differential fluid (I double checked because I could not remember which fluid change it was, for sure) is needed.

Several people have been conned into replacing parts for a MUCH larger fee. This is more common with dealer mechanics but some personal mechanics will try to pull it too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When I was searching for the fluid info I also came across this recall for the 2003 & 04 Element.

http://repairpal.com/honda-element-recall-10v364000

It seems like a quick fix. They *might* know if this was taken care or not. That was the only recall I saw for that particular year, but it was just a quick glance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you Fifi for all the information. I really appreciate it. I wasn't able to get the Element I saw yesterday. I had it checked out by a mechanic and it need to have the exhuast system or w/e (idk much about cars :goofy:) fixed for $500, and it had a crack in the windshield. The dealer only went down $500 to give me the car completely as-is, meaning I'd have to get the windshield and muffler fixed, which retails about $1000 total. Also, he told me yesterday he would have the recall fixed by honda for the ignition switch and get the radio code while he was there (the battery died so it triggered the security code), but when I tried to get the price down because of the repairs needed, he said he wouldn't take it to honda either. So, for all that trouble I really think he should have gone doen at least $800. If he were to make all the repairs he went down $200. Well, what I hadn't realized was how much taxes would add on, so I just didn't have it in my budget. So, I'm looking for private owned Elements for sale since I can use the money I save from a lower price on the taxes. I found one that looks okay. It's a 2003 with 123k miles. More that I was hoping but if I can get it for a good price and it's running well I'll get it. I'm gonna see it tomorrow. Here I go again.... :pale:
    You are very welcome, and sorry that one did not work out. That was a wise decision. It would not have been worth it. I hope you find something soon (sure you will). Just remember to keep your options open. I was dead set on one thing when I stumbled over something else. It's hard to resist the better deal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I PM'ed you fifi. Also, I am keeping my options open. A Honda crv, element, or Toyota rav4 are all in my scope. Thanks :)
    Looks like I'm getting a Honda Element :)
  • longlivecurlslonglivecurls Posts: 271Registered Users

That's great news!!! Hope it's what you wanted and last you many years. :)
    CG NEWBIE :afro:
    curl type: 2c/3a on a good day :love5:
    med/high porosity & high density
    hair strand width: med/coarse
    BSL hair & growing

GOING STRONG!!! SAY NO TO HEAT!!!
    :wav:

That's great news!!! Hope it's what you wanted and last you many years. :)

Thank you. I just got it Monday. It needed some repairs, but nothing major. Luckily my dad knows a great mechanic who charges like a quarter of what most places do

Wow looks very nice and clean. Good job :)
    BSL hair & growing

The inside was absolutely filthy. I spent 3 days cleaning her and she looks like a whole 'nother car!
    Your blue girl is adorable!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The inside was absolutely filthy. I spent 3 days cleaning her and she looks like a whole 'nother car!

You would never guess that by looking at the outside.
    BSL hair & growing

Thanks guys! She's my new pride and joy ^_^

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list