What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
And money was no object, etc etc...
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• HropkeyHropkey Posts: 572Registered Users
    Become a lawyer or professional musician.
    Mod CG as of 10/18/08
    Using: Suave Naturals, L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss, LA Looks Sports Gel.
    "We’ll not live like this. They will try to bury us with false manifestos, inscribe us in wars against false enemies but we’ll sing songs about dying from loving the wrong cowboy and gospel; our bodies will burn in effigies of promise. I swear."

-Ibi Kaslik
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Become a writer
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    reopen (no pun) and post on the 'first time' thread:happy8:
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do what I'm doing now :) just shop more
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I would end all violence, starvation, malnutrician, oppression, abuse, trauma, sickness and unpleasantness in this world. We'd all hold hands, smile and dance and sing Kumbaya. Someone would teach me the words.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    fall in love again.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Write novels.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    Skydive

Apply to medical school

Bid on a date with Alexander Skarsgard
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would also kidnap Jason segel and make him my bride
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    Fantasy:
    Shapeshifter or fly (like superman fly)

Reality:
    Stylish homesteader (think crazy apocalypse is coming libertarian meets Martha Stewart)
    hello.world.
  • curleeangelcurleeangel Posts: 53Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Portrait photography as a career. It's such a competitive field and with the economy as it is it's a luxury many people bypass now.

Sent from my MB860 using CurlTalk App
    2b/c low porosity, coarse, high density and protein sensitive.
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    tumblr_m6qtmo8hOi1qhzmjho1_400.jpg
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    Dance again. Or act.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

• theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    tumblr_m6qtmo8hOi1qhzmjho1_400.jpg

This! I would be unstoppable!

Oh the things I would do!!
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    This thread is making me thing and be a lot more introspective than I think it was intended.

I would love to dance, but I know I have NO talent for that. That's not introspective, that's just truth. But onto the more realistic things...

I'd like to run a marathon. I think fear of failure is what's holding me back from that. I just ran my first 5K. It's hard! I hate that fear is stopping me from something. I should just keep running and see what I can do.

I'd like to get more involved in the community--be on the board of some local health/science type of organizations. Again, fear of failure and the unknown is really why I'm not doing that. I wouldn't even know whereto begin. I could even see myself in some area of local politics, if I wasn't terrified of failing at it.

I think I really need to start taking some steps towards some of this stuff.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I don't know.... the risk of failure is what pushes you to succeed, isn't it? I can't imagine wanting to be in a position where I knew I could not fail - it wouldn't be very satisfying or motivating.

Everything I've done had a pretty high risk of failure. So I just can't picture what it would be like not to have that present. :nike:
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    I don't know.... the risk of failure is what pushes you to succeed, isn't it? I can't imagine wanting to be in a position where I knew I could not fail - it wouldn't be very satisfying or motivating.

Everything I've done had a pretty high risk of failure. So I just can't picture what it would be like not to have that present. :nike:

Yeah, but aren't there different levels of thinking you might fail? Like for me, getting my PhD, of course there was a risk of failure, but I knew I would succeed. I wasn't actually afraid I wouldn't do it, because I knew I would. But training to run a marathon? That's a different level of fear of failure to me. I'm good at school, I'm not good at athletics. I might legitimately fail. And that's way scarier. I've always just stuck to doing things I'm good at, because I enjoy succeeding. But I'm at a point in my life where I want to do more, and some of these things are so scary because the fear of failure just seems so much more possible.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Personally, I like a challenge and wouldn't be satisfied if I always stayed in a comfort zone. There would be no thrill of victory. It would just be an empty, expected, meaningless victory to me.

I agree w/ Amneris.

I couldn't even really wrap my mind around the question...until Amneris posted. If it's something i really, really want to do, I attempt it. Liklihood of success or failure or whatever is irrelevent once I get to the point that I really desire it.

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote: »
    Amneris wrote: »

Yeah, but aren't there different levels of thinking you might fail? Like for me, getting my PhD, of course there was a risk of failure, but I knew I would succeed. I wasn't actually afraid I wouldn't do it, because I knew I would. But training to run a marathon? That's a different level of fear of failure to me. I'm good at school, I'm not good at athletics. I might legitimately fail. And that's way scarier. I've always just stuck to doing things I'm good at, because I enjoy succeeding. But I'm at a point in my life where I want to do more, and some of these things are so scary because the fear of failure just seems so much more possible.

I guess. I never think I will fail, yet I always know I can, if that makes any sense.
    For the things I know I'm not good at (and there are many) I guess I've never really had a burning desire to do them, not because of fear of failure but just because they don't align with my interests. There are things I admire that I could never do (like be an Olympic athlete or professional ice-skater) but even if I knew I could do it, I don't think I'd want to, and if I wanted to, I would believe I could do it.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

The key is that there is no financial downside, and that you have resources galore. There are lots of things I would like to and be willing to fail at but my priority is taking care of my little ankle biters.

It's great if you have a support system, financial and otherwise that allows one to pursue dreams and take risks, and allow for failure. Not everyone has that luxury, especially in these times.
    hello.world.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes the question was confusing to me as well. But I can kind of understand it. I'm pretty sure I'd fail as being some type of performer or entertainer. But I wouldn't want to do anything like that. I can't think of anything for me. For things that I think I may fail at that I want to do(such as run my own company), I would do anyways..
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I would end all violence, starvation, malnutrician, oppression, abuse, trauma, sickness and unpleasantness in this world. We'd all hold hands, smile and dance and sing Kumbaya. Someone would teach me the words.

You're a better person than I am.

First thing I thought was "win on my horse in the Olympics!" but the thing is, I actually know I can't do that, and money/time/effort isn't the limiting factor. I wouldn't work full time with no money concerns and would have a gym and would ride more horses, but that wouldn't change the fact no matter how I adore him my horse isn't an international Olympic winning quality horse, and that can't be fixed. At the moment I'm definitely not that quality rider, but with enough time in a gym and on horses I have no idea if that could change or not.

The reason to not try to get to that kind of a level with horses, for me, is more about my physical health than fear of failure. If I could know I would not have asthma attacks or injuries where I needed medical care I might treat riding horses differently...
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    On a more humanitarian vein, I have always wanted to start a home for troubled kids/horse retirement home, combinging kids and horses to help them heal emotionally from their problems.

I would also love to use engineering to help the handicapped - I can't think of a more rewarding way to use the work I love doing than to help others who are in need.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

webjockey wrote: »
    The key is that there is no financial downside, and that you have resources galore. There are lots of things I would like to and be willing to fail at but my priority is taking care of my little ankle biters.

It's great if you have a support system, financial and otherwise that allows one to pursue dreams and take risks, and allow for failure. Not everyone has that luxury, especially in these times.

But I guess for me, the key is that I would not desire the type of goal that hinges upon someone writing me a blank check.

For instance, I could say, if money were no object and I had resources galore, I would want to buy a Concorde and fly around the planet for the next 50 years.

But that would not be a goal of mine.

The goals I set for myself necessarily include my ability to fund them and sustain them. Because that is how I would derive my sense of satisfaction.

Pipe dreams that would be based on someone else's resources would not appeal to me.

• claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    So many things would be different that it doesn't seem comprehensible to contemplate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com

But I guess for me, the key is that I would not desire the type of goal that hinges upon someone writing me a blank check.

For instance, I could say, if money were no object and I had resources galore, I would want to buy a Concorde and fly around the planet for the next 50 years.

The goals I set for myself necessarily include my ability to fund them and sustain them. Because that is how I would derive my sense of satisfaction.

Pipe dreams that would be based on someone else's resources would not appeal to me.

I see a big difference between a regular every day goal and one you would pursue if you had all the resources at your disposal. I thought that was the point of the question, not simply "what goals do you have".

I still am baffled that no body else wants to be a shapeshifter.
    hello.world.
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

and/or invisability.. along with the flying.

I wanna be an all around superhero, without the you know..... responsibility.
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III

I already have trouble coordinating with one shape - with more, I just can't imagine the problems I'd have!

Now, to have Catwoman's body? (Any of them!) That'd be ok....
    -Speckla

• murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    well if we're talking fantasy.

eat endless amounts of food and never gain weight.

become a pizza.

the end.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg

I see a big difference between a regular every day goal and one you would pursue if you had all the resources at your disposal. I thought that was the point of the question, not simply "what goals do you have".

I don't think the difference is that big. If you can conceive it, you can achieve it, right? ;)

But maybe I am overly idealistic.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file