I'm a new wavy... Could you help me with a few questions? =D

kaykrekaykre Registered Users Posts: 314 Curl Neophyte
I'm new to wearing my hair wavy... I have always blown it out straight but am trying to get away from using heat. I thought going natural would be easy but it's been a challenge. Below are a few problems I've been experiencing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! If it makes a difference I think I am 2B but IDK. I have the wave pattern of a 2A but the thickness and density of a 2B/C. At the end I'll list products I've been trying and how I've been using them. Sorry this post is so long. =(

1. One of the major issues I've been having is parting. If I apply my products without parting and allow it to dry my hair looks crazy and lays funny. The hair will part naturally on it's own but not in a flattering way at all. If I part either directly before or after applying products my roots are very straight and flat. I've tried clipping and it doesn't seem to work well.

2. I really don't know when/if I am supposed to comb. I have been combing my conditioner through, rinsing, blotting, sectioning (I have a LOT of hair), and applying product and combing it through each section. I'm wondering if all of this combing is breaking up the waves. However, when I try skipping combing completely (except when conditioner is in) my hair is very matted and I cannot work product through. I feel like without sectioning and combing when I apply product it isn't properly distributed.

3. I can't seem to work out a product combo that works for me or a method of application that works well. When I apply product to soaking or very wet hair it ends up pulling out the wave. When I apply to damp hair I end up with a ton of frizz and no definition. If I use a strong hold product I end up with stringy crunchy waves that remain stringy even after I SOTC. If I use a soft hold product it pulls out the curl. I can't seem to win. Any suggestions for what types of product of when/how I should I apply them would be great. The products I've been experimenting with are listed below.. it'd be great if I could find a way to make some of them work.

4. A more minor issue I've been having is second day hair. I can't seem to keep my hair looking decent overnight. If I leave it down it becomes frizzy, matted, and undefined. Buns, braids, ponytails, pineappling, etc. mess up the waves. Wetting it down makes it stringy. I've resorted to washing daily or wearing my hair in a bun on the second day. This is the least of my concerns but tips would still be appreciated.

Product's I've Been Using/Trying/Testing
Shampoo: PM Awapuhi Wild Ginger
Conditioner: PM Awapuhi Wild Ginger Keratin Rinse
Deep Cond./Protein: PM Awapuhi Wild Ginger Keratin Intensive
Stylers (I've just been experimenting with these): AG Recoil (in wet hair), AG Beach Bomb (in wet hair), Garnier Scrunch, Clean, and spray gels (tried in both wet and damp), PM Sculpting Foam (tried in both wet and damp), Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel (tried in both wet and damp), BRHG (tried in both wet and damp), PM Twirl Around (tried in both wet and damp), PM Round Trip (tried in both wet and damp), PM Awapuhi Wild Ginger Sea Spray (damp), PM Awapuhi Ginger Hydrawhip (tried in both wet and damp), PM Full Circle (wet).

**I'm sure there are more products I've tried but these are the ones of the top of my head.
***The PM Awapuhi Wild Ginger shampoo, cond., and tx seem to work great as far as maintaining my hair health.
2A/B. Mix of fine, medium, and coarse (mostly medium). Dense. Mix of normal and high porosity.
Dry climate.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• LauraimesLauraimes Registered Users Posts: 882 Curl Novice
    Hi Kayleigh!

I'm also fairly new to all this so I cannot answer all of your questions, but I do have some advice.

What is really important is that you understand your hair. By that, I mean figuring out your properties. Coarse hair reacts very differently than fine hair, etc. Your porosity, width, density and elasticity are way more important than the type/curlpattern. Knowing your properties will help you determining what products your hair needs and what techniques will more likely be successful. Also, you can look at other people's signatures with the same properties and get inspiration from their routines.

As for the combing: I always comb my hair when it is wet, regardless whether I used a conditioner or not (for 2nd to 6th day hair I spray it wet). However, my hair has to be soaking wet and I only use a wide tooth comb. Breakage is more common when you use a regular comb and on dry hair. Does this help?

About the products: I don't live in the US and we don't have your products here. Also, as I've said, knowing your properties would help a big deal in explaining why your hair behaves in a certain way.

Please let me know if you have any questions :)
    F - LP - HD - L/NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, low/normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
    Detangler/RO: KCKT with 
    Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights