New 3B, need product help for coarse hair!

jennagjennag Posts: 44Registered Users
Hello. I am having trouble finding people with coarse hair. I am hoping to get by on little/no poo. My friend sent me to the forums to see what people are using, but I feel a little overwhelmed and could use some advice.

I com from a family of very straight and very fine hair. I was diagnosed with type I diabetes at 12 and my hair fell out in huge clumps. When it grew back it was curly and thick and VERY coarse. I have straightened it most of my life since, or pony tails.

I am a swimmer several times a week, and am very fond of plopping. I have had A Line cuts (even shaving the back and chin length in front) until recently and am considering growing it out, most of the back of my hair is just about shoulder length and the front is a few inches lower. I love to plop, not overly fond of gel (although will use if I have to). So far, am using Suave Almond and Shea butter as a co-wash, tresemme gel (can not remember what kind), but need something more moisturising.

Any suggestions?
3A/3B, coarse, low porosity, high density, iii I believe (?), low to normal elasticity.

CoWash/LI: VO5 Ocean Breeze/Shea Moisture
Style:IOkra Gel/KCCC
Plop 10 min / air dry

Comments

• MaggieTMaggieT Curl Novice Posts: 178Registered Users Curl Novice
    Welcome, jennag! I don't have coarse hair, but I do have a cowash suggestion for you: Giovanni Triple Tea Treat Conditioner. A lot of folks use it as a cowash -- the tea tree and peppermint oils really help to clean the scalp. It's fairly thin (kind of like body lotion?) in consistency, so I think you could work it through coarse hair without difficulty; and while it's not V05 cheap, it's not super expensive, so even if you need a fair bit of it, I think it could work for you.

Good luck!
    --
    3b, fine, medium density, normal porosity
    Wash: Deva No Poo, sometime Phytojoba, Avalon lemon when needs clarifying
    Rinse-out: Deva One Condition, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening, Phytojoba (kinda heavy for my hair but good noisture)
    DT: CJ CCCCL, or KCKT
    Leave-in: Phytokeratine, CCCCL
    Styling: Deva Coconut Supercream or their Wave Maker with a little CS over the top
  • jennagjennag Posts: 44Registered Users
    Thank you so much MaggieT! Is that available at Sally's?
    3A/3B, coarse, low porosity, high density, iii I believe (?), low to normal elasticity.

Plop 10 min / air dry
  • LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Posts: 392Registered Users
    If you are truly coarse, I wouldn't use anything with protein to cowash or in a leave in or styling product. Coarse curlies tend to be protein sensitive.

I'm not sure if the Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat is protein free, but before you but anything, check the ingredients. I'm not knocking proteins completely, but advising you to be wary of them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

That is a huge help! I had read that too somewhere? But I have read a lot and am a little overloaded. Thank you!

Plop 10 min / air dry
    So I went to Sally's and was all over the store (I have to use a can right now and was in horrible pain before I left) and bought the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and Soft n Gro nothing but curl sealer and cleansing conditioner. I was looking at the bottles when I got home and realized they contain silicone's (soft n gro)!!! Darn it. I completely missed it, after being in the place so long and going over each ingredient, how did I miss that! Ugh. I hope i can take these back....

Plop 10 min / air dry
  • misbehavemisbehave Posts: 115Registered Users
    Jennag,

I am new to CG too and have your same properties (although, I haven't had the hair analysis for confirmation). There are only a handful of us!

Like LoveInBetween mentioned, if you are coarse and/or low porosity (depending on which site you read) you may be more likely to be sensitive to protein. I've found it's a lot of trail and error so far and am thinking I may have a hard water problem that's complicating my search.

Here is a link from Live Curly Live Free on Pinterest of recs for those of us with coarse hair:
    Curly Hair - Coarse Texture Products

Good luck! Keep us posted if you find something you like.
    CG since 3/1/13
    3B; Low porosity, Coarse, & Extremely Protein Sensitive
    Very high density, waist length

Co wash: Suave Clarifying or Sun Ripened Strawberry
    RO: Sun Ripened Strawberry, TN, or TN w/ veg glycerin
    Sealer: apricot oil
    Styler: 4 Naturals Spring Back Custard, Pantene Curl Defining Mousse, or BB "Mudd"
    Using a hard water filter, microfiber towel, & silk head scarves & pillowcases

Avoiding: protein, coconut, & parabens
    Yay misbehave! So nice to find someone similar! I had seen the pintrest, but most of these seem to be things I can only get online. Now I know I can get these at target, that will help a lot too. Keep me up to date on your search too!

Plop 10 min / air dry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file