I feel soooo old this week!

SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'll admit I'm one of the older workers in my department, but I didn't realize how much older I was until me and another coworker my age started quoting lines from movies and the other 3 coworkers (10-ish years our junior) looked at us like we were crazy. *sniff* and they were and are the best lines ever! Everyone chip in, here!

1: "Know what I mean, Vern?"
2: "I want my two dollars!"
3: Now, this one wasn't this week, but they really didn't get this (Romy and Michele's High School Reunion if you need a reference point)... "I have been trying this new fat free diet I invented. All I've had to eat for the past six days are gummy bears, jelly beans, and candy corns." Then the other coworker snorted and said "Geez, I wish I had your discipline!"

I know not many people my age will get that one, so I'll let them go with a buy on that one, but the first two? No!

I think we made another comment from Romy and Michele's High School Reunion about owning a flip-phone, too, one time and nobody got it, either....

Comments

• irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I want my two dollars. Love it.

-N, T. N, T. Big difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm old too and never would have guessed that Romy and Michelle one.

I've (thankfully) never seen one of those "Vern" movies either... although I remember that character.

But "I want my 2 dollars" is a classic! Anytime my friends and I bring up the word French, we start in on ... "French FRIES... French DRESSING ... french bREAD.."
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I know 1 & 3 (only saw the movie a few years ago).

I do not know $2. 'splain, please?
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Speckla wrote: »
    I know 1 & 3 (only saw the movie a few years ago).

I do not know $2. 'splain, please?

I want my two dollars is from an old movie called Better Off Dead with a very young John Cusack (sp?) It's basically a newspaper boy stalking John Cusack on his bicycle the whole time for his $2 for the newspaper (back when the actual newpaper delivery kids had to collect for delivering). Watch it. HILARIOUS!

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm so old that those movie references seem "young" to me. It's all in perspective.
    I'm so old that those movie references seem "young" to me. It's all in perspective.

Very true. I quote movies that are quite a bit older and then I really get the stares.

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Aren't you only in your 30s? I've noticed that most people under 25 annoy me these days, or maybe it's just the people I've met recently. They don't make me feel old but like I'm babysitting.
    Josephine wrote: »
    Aren't you only in your 30s? I've noticed that most people under 25 annoy me these days, or maybe it's just the people I've met recently. They don't make me feel old but like I'm babysitting.

Yeah, I am in my 30's, but have pretty much worked and been around an older crowd my entire life. I never really acted my own age. Now I'm starting to be surrounded by younger people in my work and it's kind of eye opening because I was always the youngest. Now I'm one of the oldest/older. Strange.

For the most part my coworkers don't bother me much because they do their jobs and they do it well. And they usually don't act as young as they are, but when they get into silly giggly modes...yeah...I want to slap the stupid out of them.

I call the ages of 24-27 the 'know it alls'

We all think we know everything about life at that age, and usually think people who think differently just havent got it figured out yet. Cause clearly a 24 year old is more figured out than someone in their 40's! I see it all the time.

Then somewhere around 28, 29, we start to realize how dumb we sounded and we really have no clue.

In my mid 30s I've realized that no one really knows what we're doing. We're just trying to get by.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Josephine wrote: »

Yeah, I am in my 30's, but have pretty much worked and been around an older crowd my entire life. I never really acted my own age. Now I'm starting to be surrounded by younger people in my work and it's kind of eye opening because I was always the youngest. Now I'm one of the oldest/older. Strange.

For the most part my coworkers don't bother me much because they do their jobs and they do it well. And they usually don't act as young as they are, but when they get into silly giggly modes...yeah...I want to slap the stupid out of them.

LOL I was probably one of those at one point. I'm usually around people my age which is great. One company I was by far the youngest and I hated it.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    iroc wrote: »

We all think we know everything about life at that age, and usually think people who think differently just havent got it figured out yet. Cause clearly a 24 year old is more figured out than someone in their 40's! I see it all the time.

Then somewhere around 28, 29, we start to realize how dumb we sounded and we really have no clue.

In my mid 30s I've realized that no one really knows what we're doing. We're just trying to get by.

I'd extend that know-it-all age down to 14. My 15 year old daughter knows every-f*cking-thing.

I'd extend that know-it-all age down to 14. My 15 year old daughter knows every-f*cking-thing.

Ya. I agree. I actually usually say its strongest at an every decade point.

- they seem to know more than anyone!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^ I have to agree. The know it all phase lasts a long time.

I was never too bad about that. I had my moments, but I never had a problem admitting that I honestly didn't know jack, in the grand scheme of things. The older I got, the more comfortable I got with the fact that I was still changing, learning and having those light bulb moments, and hopefully would continue too.

Most of my co workers are Gen X. Over half range in age from 53 to 37. 3 are 30 and under. Luckily the vast majority get each others references.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LuuuuucyLuuuuucy Posts: 146Registered Users
    Ha. I'm 33 and I know #1, but I didn't know 2 or 3. Romy and Michelle might just not be that popular- I've seen it but could recall any lines. I've never seen the second movie though. But I can quote the crap out of Mallrats, Clerks, and Friday whereas my boyfriend (36) isn't as familiar with those as he is Caddyshack, etc. Guess it's just what was particularly popular around you.
    Curly work in progress
    2C with some 3A if all the stars align
    Low porosity, medium to low density and fine
    No sulfates since 2009
    CG since 2013

In my stash:
    Shampoos and conditioners- Tresemme Naturals Low Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Aloe, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave Ins- Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers- KCCC, AG Recoil, KY Lubricant (yup), SM Curl Milk
    Gels- Ecostyler, Biosilk RHG
    Mousse- Devacurl Uplifting Foam, Suave Captivating Curls
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Luuuuucy wrote: »
    Ha. I'm 33 and I know #1, but I didn't know 2 or 3. Romy and Michelle might just not be that popular- I've seen it but could recall any lines. I've never seen the second movie though. But I can quote the crap out of Mallrats, Clerks, and Friday whereas my boyfriend (36) isn't as familiar with those as he is Caddyshack, etc. Guess it's just what was particularly popular around you.

None of my immediate co workers would know lines from those movies if I quoted them, but they were made for a more specific taste. They were not shown on tv when I was growing up. Clerks came out after and graduated and you rented Kevin Smith because you loved his rudeness and randomness.

** Caddyshack however is burned into the brains of millions. :)
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And we just had another moment...about My So Called Life with Claire Daines and Jared Leto. And The Fifth Element movie with Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich.

Yesterday was a moment about The Sound of Music and the holocaust in general. Simply pitiful at the lack of knowledge they had of the holocaust.

• BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm getting old too. I'm 35 now and all the young'uns get on my nerves these days!!
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm 55...still don't know what I'm doing and still trying to get by...it's a process ;)
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file