CurlTalk

What is the one thing you’ve done that has brought results for your hair?

Hi everyone,

A lot of people go through stages of hair problems where all we have to do is a minor or major adjustment that turns everything around and brings us results. Where there’s a hair problem, there’s a solution. Please share with me an experience you had where you made one adjustment to bring positive results for your hair. If you can also mention your hair type plus the problem you had that’d be great. I look forward to reading everyone’s answers.

Pureityhairbeauty

Comments

• claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    Having Type 2 hair, I would say that more than any product, learning to leave my layers long enough to twist into their natural S curve made all the difference. Previously I would chop my layers in order to control the way they'd fly out into feathers before forming a true "S".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 969Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I have 3b hair. Stopping the shampoo has made all the difference in the world for my hair. I haven't shampooed in 4&1/2 years. :-). My hair is not so dry anymore and does not straighten out in the winter months. My hair would always get straight in the winter when I used shampoo.
    Started CG July 8, 2008 :)

3[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Rinse out: Ion Effective Care Treatment
    Leave-in/Styling: Alba Botanica leave in with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner :love2: on top
  • omgstopitomgstopit Posts: 44Registered Users
    For me it's putting any product whatsoever on dripping wet hair.
  • LuuuuucyLuuuuucy Posts: 146Registered Users
    Ditto the products in soaking wet hair. Next up, soft bonnet dryer. It's not exactly easy to use but gives a much better result than diffusing.
    Curly work in progress
    2C with some 3A if all the stars align
    Low porosity, medium to low density and fine
    No sulfates since 2009
    CG since 2013

In my stash:
    Shampoos and conditioners- Tresemme Naturals Low Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Aloe, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave Ins- Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers- KCCC, AG Recoil, KY Lubricant (yup), SM Curl Milk
    Gels- Ecostyler, Biosilk RHG
    Mousse- Devacurl Uplifting Foam, Suave Captivating Curls
  • HootenannyHootenanny Posts: 300Registered Users
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but Luuuucy, what brand of soft bonnet dryer did you purchase? I'm in the market for one myself with the hopes that it'll be what turns things around for me! :)
    :cat: Medium/coarse, low porosity, dense, mix of 3s :cat:
    CG (again) since Nov. 2012

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention, Elucence MBC, KC Come Clean
    Condish: Giovanni DL, Cure Care, Ion Treatment, GVP Balm, AOHR
    Protein: AOGPB, CNPF, SSRPT
    Stylers: KCCC, SM Souffle, AOMM, SS CEJ, JCRR, JCCC

:cat: Trying out steaming! :cat:
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    omgstopit wrote: »
    For me it's putting any product whatsoever on dripping wet hair.

Ditto, game changer.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
  • HouseofcurlsHouseofcurls Posts: 322Registered Users
    Leave in! My hair wouldn't clump and was dry dry dry until one day in early quadrupled the amount of leave in I was using. Everything changed. I still use the same one...just more!
    I have type3a curls, dense but fine, high porosity.
    Rae ~ 2c/3a ~
    Wife to a 3c Curly Guy
    Mom to a straight and a curly.

"The Longer the Hair, the Bigger the Blob."

Porous, very dense but fine hair. Medium everything else.
    CoWash: Tressemee naturals
    RO: Generic biolage and generic joico k-pak
    LI: Tresemee
    Miss Jessie's Pillow soft curls, diffuse 50%, add KCCC and diffuse to 80%.
    Always wash upside down.
  • LuuuuucyLuuuuucy Posts: 146Registered Users
    Hootenanny- the Gold n Hot from Sally Beauty. It's not ideal, like I said. Lots of readjusting but for me, the results are worth it. :)
    Curly work in progress
    2C with some 3A if all the stars align
    Low porosity, medium to low density and fine
    No sulfates since 2009
    CG since 2013

In my stash:
    Shampoos and conditioners- Tresemme Naturals Low Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Aloe, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave Ins- Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers- KCCC, AG Recoil, KY Lubricant (yup), SM Curl Milk
    Gels- Ecostyler, Biosilk RHG
    Mousse- Devacurl Uplifting Foam, Suave Captivating Curls
  • SweetVintageCurlsSweetVintageCurls Posts: 10Registered Users
    Quit brushing my hair a year or 2 ago. I was CG for years in terms of no cones, no shampoo, no blow dryer, but I thought I didn't have time to finger detangle. I continued to (dry) brush my hair with my Denman to get the knots out before getting into the shower and co-washing (I had a deepseated belief that hair shouldn't be brushed wet, too). I don't remember why I finally started finger detangling. Maybe it was when my hair was falling out and I wanted to minimise that. Or maybe I couldn't find my brush :)

I had chronic split ends for over 20 years, even straight after a trim. Lately, I have none, even though all I trim is SSKs. None (except for a rare couple of splits today from some non-brush related damage that won't be repeated).

My hair finally got down to my waist this January, when it never used to grow past my armpits.
    Tresemme Naturals Radiant Care is my boring but trustworthy fallback :glasses1:
    Acid rinse (Dr Bronner's Shikakai) stripped my over-a-year-old indigo, and gave me split ends I haven't had since I gave up brushing :pukeright:
    Hair analysis done - surprisingly, I'm normal on all 3 counts :-?
    Trying to balance babying my hair with my newfound PJism. Melbourne curly, CG since 2006
  • Aqua_LilyAqua_Lily Posts: 557Registered Users
    Quitting shampoo and quitting brushing. That was the best thing that ever happened to my hair.
    4-2.png
    Current length: tailbone
    Goal length: mid-thigh (wet)
    3A/2C M iii med por, high elast

HGs:
    Clarify: Nivea
    Lo-poo: Nature's Gate
    CW: Elvive Volume Collagen
    RO: EO Keratin, Desert Essence Raspberry

LI: Elvive volume collagen, KCKT
    Seal: Grapeseed oil
    Gel: Studioline

PT: EO Keratin co
    DT: RO+oils
    Hairgrowth stim.: JBCO+EVCO

www.iherb.com 5-10$ discount code:
    VHT541 Many natural hair products! :D
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    Not brushing anymore
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Excellent thread. I think twirling my curls may be my big breakthrough but I have to try that out more.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • joseybirdjoseybird Posts: 90Registered Users
    Eliminating sulfates, only detangling when my hair is soaked with shampoo/conditioner, no longer brushing my hair, and washing/conditioning at night and re-wetting and styling in the morning
    3a - Fine, thin, non-porous hair - boo! :(

Shampoo: SM shampoos

Clarifying Shampoo: KC Come Clean

Co-Wash: L'Oreal Cleansing Conditioners, As I Am Co-Wash

Hair Gel: L.A. Looks Sport, KCCC, SM Curling Souffle

DT Conditioner: SM Raw Shea Masque, SM Raw Shea conditioner + coconut oil, GVPCB

LI Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, KCKT, VO5 shea + SM baby oil

Curl Enhancers: L.A. Looks Beachy Waves, Organix Moroccan Sea Salt Spray. AG re:coil
  • CurlyIndianGirlCurlyIndianGirl Posts: 161Registered Users
    I second twirling! Best thing happened to my hair
    3a with some 2a-2c, Medium/Low Porosity
    Co-wash:deva no-poo/Vo5 kiwi
    Detangle:Suave
    Leave-in:Shea Moisture/GVP conditioning Balm/AOHSR

Since long hair- I finger twist in big chunks, which helps till 5th day hair:farao:
    Gel:LA sports
    Plop: Old T-shirt for 15 minutes ,diffuse
  • MCoons91MCoons91 Posts: 70Registered Users
    I also agree with applying product to soaking wet hair and NO brushing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlTalk App
    Mostly 2B with 2C elements and quite a few random 3A corkscrews in my underneath layer. Re-tested my hair porosity and it is now low. I have fairly dense, medium thick hair.

Use: Shea Moisture Raw shampoo and conditioner, co-wash w/ suave naturals coconut, aussie ausome volume mousse and Herbal essence totally twisted gel.
  • CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users
    Cutting out harsh sulfates and silicones. Really the whole CG method has taught me how to take care of my curls. :queen:
  • bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    CG friendly low-poo and co-washing. I was CG all through 2010, and now I'm CG again, and both times I saw immediate results just from ditching the "bad" shampoo/conditioner and co-washing instead. I still low-poo once a week with a CG friendly shampoo bar to keep build-up off my fine/low-po hair. But even without products, even on the first few days of doing CG again, it's like... wow, much better!
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    i agree with no brushing! major fizz attack here! and also i do herbal acv rinses. my hair LOVES it. gives me so much shine and definition. i use a number different herbs my faves are marshamallow root, nettle and sage.

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • sexyspiralssexyspirals Posts: 99Registered Users
    Totally agree with the soaking wet application and going CG - completely changed my hair.

Also I think finding two HG products and really sticking with them - my Suave with aloe and BRHG bring me consistently great results, and any time I try a new CO or gel it never works out nearly as well. So not fiddling with what works was definitely a (somewhat obvious lol) breakthrough for me!

Hair type: Fine, fairly porous, shoulder length when curly. Probably a 3a or 3b with tight ringlets now that it's getting longer. Hair loves aloe, hates glycerin.

Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Aloe and Waterlily (my HG conditioner!)
    Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek and Shine, Trevor Sorbie curl conditioner (UK only, unfortunately)
    Stylers: KCCC, AG Re:coil, TIGI mousse, but open to suggestions!
    Gels: BRHG (my one and only)

CG since 03/28/09
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    I love this thread! For sure dropping silicones. It made all the difference in the world for my hair. Also not touching it when it's wet and just not touching it in general. I love the CG method all in all but those facets were major eye openers for me.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

I have another. I can't SOTC empty-handed because my hair popcorns. Learned the haaaard way. So I do it with a little bit of SM coconut hibiscus milk thing mixed with a couple spritzes of lavender-conditioner water and a couple spritzes of spray gel, just kinda rub it all on my hands and go at it. No idea why that works for me since those aren't exactly finishing products, but there you go.
  • Meme_cheriseMeme_cherise Posts: 15Registered Users
    Cut all my damaging highlights out in a huge chop and started using Cantu's natural line, curl cream. I don't like how short my hair is right now but I can't deny the full turn around my hair has made. I'm getting my curls back after years of extreme heat damage and highlighting. I love it!
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    omgstopit wrote: »
    I have another. I can't SOTC empty-handed because my hair popcorns. Learned the haaaard way. So I do it with a little bit of SM coconut hibiscus milk thing mixed with a couple spritzes of lavender-conditioner water and a couple spritzes of spray gel, just kinda rub it all on my hands and go at it. No idea why that works for me since those aren't exactly finishing products, but there you go.

I use the milk for that too! It works wonders doesn't it?
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Yes! And a little bit goes a looong way which is unusual for me.
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    For myself, using no cones and not combing in the shower. In addition, getting my hair cut when curly. Now all the curls are uniformed.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • AKgirlAKgirl Posts: 341Registered Users
    Not using sulfate shampoo to wash my hair has helped a lot! My hair isn't nearly as dry, so then I'm not using heavy conditioners which would weigh down my fine waves. Changing from brushing to combing with a wide toothed comb has reduced breakage and helped my hair stay healthy. Last, protein!! My hair needs and loves protein! It is limp and lifeless without it. It has made a huge difference in my hair. In fact, I'm still learning how much my hair likes protein, the amount and strength.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
    2a-2bFii NP?

Low poo: Deva Low-Poo, Jessicurl GLS, Moroccanoil Volumizing Shampoo, Aveda Be Curly
    Condish: Cure Care, Redken Body Full, Deva One C, and Jessicurl Aloeba
    LI: Aveda Be Curly Style Prep <3
    Products: Deva FFVF & Jessicurl Spiralicious (LOVE), TRESemme Curl Boosting Mousse
    Hairspray: Aussie Sprunch, TRESemme Curl
    locking Spray
    Experimenting with lots of products in my cabinet...

My hair loves protein, plopping, and diffusing! Trying to find a way to style and air dry.
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users
    Applying products to soaking wet hair, and drying using microfiber towels ONLY (I bring mine with me when I go anywhere, because I'm cool like that).

3b/c low-med porosity hair.

Although not dying with peroxide has helped as well (I still dye, but with non-peroxide semi-permanents).
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • CFcurlsCFcurls Posts: 24Registered Users
    2 things so far for me. One being that simpler is better for me, not using 3-4 products to style my hair. Second being most important is just to love my hair the way it is. Yeah, it will get a tiny bit of frizz on the 2nd day and a little more on the 3rd, but honestly its still my wonderful, sometimes frizzy, sometimes maddening, curly hair. :)
    3a/3b/3c medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity, medium-high density

No-Poo: Keracare cleansing conditioner, Suave naturals, rhassoul clay
    Seal: Jojoba oil, JC N&S, EVCO
    Stylers: KCCC, SS CEJ, Eco Styler argan oil gel
    DT: Currently doing a Ayurvedic routine with - Godrej Nupur 9-herb blend powder, variety of Ayurvedic herbs: Brahmi, Shikakai, Aloe Vera, Methi (fenugreek), Bhringraj, Amla, Neem, Hibiscus

Oils i'm really liking ATM: Vatika oil, Bhringraj oil, Emu oil
  • SVaultSVault Posts: 35Registered Users
    My hair is type 2c..I use leave in conditioner daily and only finger fluff my hair..I also stopped using wigs, ponytails and tracks

Sent from my LG-MS770 using CurlTalk App
  • SVaultSVault Posts: 35Registered Users
    What does CG mean?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using CurlTalk App