I'm being vain and need opinions

irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I just realized how far back my nose piercing is. I think it may be too far back. I wonder if thats why I've had such a problem with it healing. I've had it for 7 years but it gets pretty irritated easily and its still raw inside. If I took it out I'm sure it would close up soon. I'm wondering if I should take it out and have it pierced again. Obviously it would suck to have to go through the piercing again, but its irritated sometimes anyway.

Heres my avatar pic bc you can see it pretty well here.

uploadfromtaptalk1363795204343.jpg

Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CurlTalk App
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I don't know how you know if its' too far back....put in a loop?

I don't know. I think it looks good but if it bothers you maybe pierce the other nostril?
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I cant get a loop in. Because its too far back. Lol.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    iroc wrote: »
    I cant get a loop in. Because its too far back. Lol.

Lol! Well, then I'd say asked and answered.
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    I think the placement looks really nice with the stud, but I can see why getting a hopp into it would be problematic.

I had to have my nose re-pierced after it closed up (all because I took 10 seconds too long to get a new ring in! Even though I'd had it pierced for over a year! Rude), and it honestly wasn't that bad. Although I think my friend almost passed out while watching. Also, I've had way less problems this time around with it getting infected/irritated. I swear, every other week I got one of those nasty little "bumps" next to it. I don't think I've gotten one since getting it re-done last January.

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • lifescoutlifescout Posts: 69Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it looks cute, I wouldn't look at it and think "It's too far back" or that its even placed wrong....but I can see what you mean about not being able to put in a hoop and if you eventually want to do that, maybe you should let this one close and then have it done a little lower. Also, if its causing you any problems, that would be a good reason to remove it in itself.
    I feel like aesthetically it would look better a little forward and not so close to my face.

CL, I don't know if you remember but I took it out for a few days a few months back bc I was having problems with it, but I ended up putting it back in. The fact that it just wont be healed makes me want to get it done over again. Sheesh, I.dont know. 1st world problems I guess.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It doesn't look too far back to me. But I do think it'd look better a smidge more forward. However, if it's too far forward, then you have to worry about the backing looking like you have a metal booger. The irritation issue might be just how your body reacts to an unnecessary hole in your nose rather than a placement problem.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    It doesn't look too far back to me. But I do think it'd look better a smidge more forward. However, if it's too far forward, then you have to worry about the backing looking like you have a metal booger. The irritation issue might be just how your body reacts to an unnecessary hole in your nose rather than a placement problem.

Thats the reason I had it put further back. A friend of mine had a screw post and it always looked like she had a booger in her nose. I was paranoid of that!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think the placement is good, just eyeballing it in that pic.

I always think mine is too high but whatever. It is what it is. I would repierce only if the placement was keeping you from wearing certain jewelry...which I guess yours is? But have you tried different size hoops?

• CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    iroc, I feel the same about mine!! I like my stud, but I tried putting in a hoop the other day, and although it fit (BARELY), it looked odd because of how far back my piercing was.

however, I still think yours looks good!

do you think the irritation was an issue with the piercing, or maybe it was the piercer you went to?
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
    CurlyEyes wrote: »
    iroc, I feel the same about mine!! I like my stud, but I tried putting in a hoop the other day, and although it fit (BARELY), it looked odd because of how far back my piercing was.

however, I still think yours looks good!

do you think the irritation was an issue with the piercing, or maybe it was the piercer you went to?

I don't know. I don't know how it would be the piercer. It seemed pierced okay, and originally I think I remember it healing okay, but the last couple of years its been irritated.

Maybe my body is rejecting it. But my ears healed after piercing and I dont have an issue.

Maybe I need titanium nose studs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Is it kind of in the fold of your nose? That a super sensitive and picky area of the nose. Or could your piercing be crooked and it's causing tension? What kind of ring do you have in? Nose screw? Bone? What material is it. Could it be a reaction?
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like it where it is, but I'm no connoisseur.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I’ve read nose piercings don’t tend to heal very well. They are very likely to close up when simply changing out the jewelry.

I lost mine when I had a head cold about 9 months after I had it done. I took out the nose screw because it was getting irritated with all that kleenex action. I quickly realized what a bad idea that was and tried to put it back in about 2-3 hours later. It was too late, it had already closed. That would never happen with an ear piercing after 9 months in/2-3 hours out.

As for placement, I don’t think being able to wear a small hoop is a given. Nose piercings look most natural, I think, when they are placed in the little divot of one’s nose — that little area between where the nostril flair ends and the bridge starts.

I never had an opinion on it until I got my own done. The piercer asked me to mark the spot to pierce and when I asked he gave me that tip as guidance. I think he was right. Since then I’ve noticed when people have piercings that are not tucked into that little divot and I always think they don’t look quite right.

It seems from this photo that yours is placed in precisely the right spot, based on that criteria.

It’s not the worst thing in the world to have it elsewhere, and this is mostly a personal preference thing, of course.

For some, that divot will be close enough to the edge that they can wear a dainty hoop. For others, they would need to wear a very large hoop, because that divot is farther from the front edge of the nostril. Because, you know, everyone’s nose is different!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Looks perfectly placed to me. Won't you have a scar if you let it close up?
    Speckla wrote: »
    Is it kind of in the fold of your nose? That a super sensitive and picky area of the nose. Or could your piercing be crooked and it's causing tension? What kind of ring do you have in? Nose screw? Bone? What material is it. Could it be a reaction?

Ya, it is kind of in the fold. I don't think it is crooked, but it is a nose bone. It is possible its bc of reaction. I don't leave earrings in permanently like this and I've had reactions with necklaces in the past.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I’ve read nose piercings don’t tend to heal very well. They are very likely to close up when simply changing out the jewelry.

I lost mine when I had a head cold about 9 months after I had it done. I took out the nose screw because it was getting irritated with all that kleenex action. I quickly realized what a bad idea that was and tried to put it back in about 2-3 hours later. It was too late, it had already closed. That would never happen with an ear piercing after 9 months in/2-3 hours out.

As for placement, I don’t think being able to wear a small hoop is a given. Nose piercings look most natural, I think, when they are placed in the little divot of one’s nose — that little area between where the nostril flair ends and the bridge starts.

I never had an opinion on it until I got my own done. The piercer asked me to mark the spot to pierce and when I asked he gave me that tip as guidance. I think he was right. Since then I’ve noticed when people have piercings that are not tucked into that little divot and I always think they don’t look quite right.

It seems from this photo that yours is placed in precisely the right spot, based on that criteria.

It’s not the worst thing in the world to have it elsewhere, and this is mostly a personal preference thing, of course.

For some, that divot will be close enough to the edge that they can wear a dainty hoop. For others, they would need to wear a very large hoop, because that divot is farther from the front edge of the nostril. Because, you know, everyone’s nose is different!

It is in that spot. I tried to make sure it was in the little crook when I smiled. Wearing a hoop isnt necessary for me. I'm comfortable with the stud. It could be the shape of my nose. I thought it looked close to my face, but that could be face shape as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Probably not. Most of it would close, if nothing else it would at least shrink a little and then be the same size as my oh so large pores!

A needle piercing makes a smaller hole than a gun piercing like the ears.

When I (stupidly) had my lip pierced it left no scar when it closed, but I only had it in for 4 days. That thing sucked.

Between the lip piercing and dying my hair blonde - what am I thinking sometimes?

:p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If it bothers you then it bothers you. Other people's opinions won't affect that. Options are to take it out, take it out and get it redone, play with different jewelry or do nothing.

I took mine out. Left a small hole that never closed. Doesn't bother me.
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif

Probably not. Most of it would close, if nothing else it would at least shrink a little and then be the same size as my oh so large pores!

When I (stupidly) had my lip pierced it left no scar when it closed, but I only had it in for 4 days. That thing sucked.

Between the lip piercing and dying my hair blonde - what am I thinking sometimes?

I believe we tried to steer you away from that lip piercing...

I believe we tried to steer you away from that lip piercing...

I know for a fact you did.

I am stubborn. As long as I learn on the first try, it wasn't a lost lesson!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    It looks cute with the stud. I think it's a little too far back to wear most hoops; however, the hoop I wear is a cheapie one that is bendable. That may work for you.
    3c/4a
  • EricachristinaEricachristina Posts: 496Registered Users
    I think it looks good, mine is a bit more forward but to me it doesn't look necessary that you have it redone.
    I know what you mean about it closing up quickly, I notice the longer I leave mine out the harder it is to put in again.
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Po wrote: »
    It looks cute with the stud. I think it's a little too far back to wear most hoops; however, the hoop I wear is a cheapie one that is bendable. That may work for you.

Yeah, I bought one on Etsy that was easily bendable. It worked well for me. You probably already know this, but if you order them online, you can choose from different diameters, too, if that works better. Just a thought!

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
    Thanks for all your help, guys.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So...what are you going to do?

So...what are you going to do?

I don't know. Lol.

Doing anything other than leaving it seems like way too much work. How much longer am I gonna have it anyway? Re-piercing is probably too much work.

I think I'll go back to being annoyed with it until I just don't want it anymore.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file