Hello from Germany! Damaged curly on the road to recovery.

lirontockerlirontocker Posts: 12Registered Users
Hi everyone,

My name is Liron, an Israeli (and sometimes American) expat living in Germany. I found Naturallycurly after doing some research on how to improve the condition of my hair - and after reading Lorraine Massey's book I've been following the Curly Girl method for a few weeks.

I had smooth, wavy hair until my family moved back to Israel from Minnesota in 1990 after six years away - almost immediately, my hair turned into a giant poofball. I had no idea what to do with it, neither did my mother, so my hair-care routine didn't really change: Shampoo, conditioner, air dry (no-one owns a blow-dryer in Israel), brush dry, put in a ponytail.

so it wasn't until much later did I actually discover I had curls I could maintain. It was a few fateful trips to the beach that taught me my hair could look great loose hours after air-drying by the surf. The rest - is history.

Almost.

Here's what my hair looked like until 2010:

Liron%20Tocker-1.jpg

Silicones, Sulfates, Frizz, but not half bad. I have very (very) thick and pretty resilient hair.

I then decided to bleach my hair and dye it various colors of the rainbow. This completely destroyed the texture of my hair:

Liron%20Tocker.jpg

In mid-2012 I had decided I had enough - my hair was dry, brittle and destroyed. My curls were gone and I was very unhappy. I decided to dye my hair as close as possible to my natural color and grow the dead ends out.

Fast forward to today - I got a trim which removed the last of my very dead ends in January, and have been on the Curly Girl method for about 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately, most of my hair is still dry from the final "reset" bleaching, and only the top 1/4 of my hair is my real, healthy hair (if you look closely in the next photo you can see the difference in color). My curls are back - but my hair is very dry and VERY frizzy:

photo.jpg

I'm unhappy with the frizz, but not discouraged. I look forward to having happy hair again - at the moment I'm experimenting with different products and have settled on a thin, silicone-free conditioner I like for co-washing (this stuff) and Aubrey Organics' GPB for conditioning my hair. I've been using KCKT as a leave-in, alternating with John Masters Organics Citrus and Neroli Detangler.

Other than bleaching-induced dryness. I'm assuming that part of the frizz I'm having is due to drying hair with a diffuser. I don't have a choice, honestly, since the temperatures here are still in the minus range and my hair takes 5 hours to dry, even in the summer. I've been experimenting with anti-frizz sprays, but nothing seems to be particularly effective. I guess it's a matter of grinning and bearing it - I'm sure my hair will look and feel better soon enough.

Oh, and I have a side-cut, which I love!

photo-1.jpg

Sorry for being long-winded, thanks for reading!
3A/Corkicelli, dry/bleached/recovering, thick, porous.

Comments

• bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    First of all... I love your curls and side-cut! I, too, dyed my hair pretty much every color of the rainbow when I was younger. But eventually I had to stop to protect my hair, plus I'm keen to go gray so I had to leave it alone to let my grays start showing. :toothy6:

I actually don't think it looks super-frizzy in the photos, so it isn't as bad as it seems, maybe. Have you tried using an oil to deep condition, style, or seal the ends? There's a wide range of oils (olive, coconut, jojoba, on and on!) that people on CT like, and several different ways to apply them. I like coconut oil as a deep conditioner, but I can't use it to style like others can. We have pretty different hair types, though, so you might try sealing your ends with oil, etc. I also like plain aloe vera gel to calm down my frizzies. I also add a big spoonful of honey to my ACV rinses from time to time, and my hair seems very smooth after those. I'm not sure why I don't do it all the time!

It also sounds like you might need a styling product that will help keep out the moisture; again, the curlygals with more porous or curlier hair than me can probably make good recommendations. A lot of people here love flax seed gel (FSG), which I haven't tried yet - but it gets tons of good results (and some poor ones).

Lastly, maybe try adding more protein, or doing a protein treatment? I know a lot of people use the Aubrey Organics GPB if their hair likes protein, so maybe a deeper PT would make your hair happier? There are tons of recommendations and recipes on here, check out the "Protein Craving" board.
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
  • lirontockerlirontocker Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thanks for your kind words about my hair! I guess the frizz isn't as bad as I may have made it seem - my hair isn't a giant ball of frizz, but I've definitely got a "helmet" or "halo" of frizz going on (it's like my hair has an atmosphere!) which I can't seem to get rid of.

I've tried olive, argan and coconut oils, all of which have temporarily improved the condition of my hair but have been a b**** to remove post-treatment. I had enough trouble trying to get coconut oil out of my hair back when I was shampooing with sulfates, I admit I'm apprehensive about trying to remove it from my hair now that I don't shampoo at all! :D

I'll try plain aloe vera, thanks for the tip! At the moment all I can find here is impure gels from concentrate, but I've been eying the 100% gel from Aubrey Organics.

I tried flax seed gel last week and it made my hair very sad - parched, frizzy, stringy, angry-looking. I guess I need to experiment with it, and perhaps use it in conjunction with my leave-in conditioner, because alone, it doesn't give me nearly the amount of moisture my hair needs. I usually don't use anything on my hair post-shower other than leave-in and some shine spray. No gels, etc.

I've been using Aubrey Organics GPB for about a week, but I think it may be too early to tell if my hair likes it or not. I haven't seen any results apart from an immediate (and quite shocking) lack of volume. I'm not sure if this means Proteins aren't for me? In any case I've picked up a bottle of Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle/Rose Conditioner and will be trying that next.

I'll definitely check out the protein board! Thanks so much for your comments and your warm welcome :)
    3A/Corkicelli, dry/bleached/recovering, thick, porous.
  • bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    I do a low-poo after an overnight coconut oil treatment. I agree, there's no way I could get coconut oil out of my hair enough with a co-wash. For drier/more porous hair, that might be different.

Sounds like your hair might just not like FSG! Yeowch.

I'll let more veteran members handle the protein/etc. recommendations. I have read that people don't use GPB every day, so maybe try it once a week? It's all about balancing the protein and moisture. Again, I'm newer here, so other members might have stunning advice that I haven't thought of!
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file