So what do yu do when they are puking?

M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
My son didn't puke until he was close to 2 years old.

She's been puking since around midnight, and apparently has dry heaves now. I am trying the Pedialyte, but she doesn't like it. I am giving her plain Cheerio's right now, but I am not sure about milk...and I am not breastfeeding anymore, so she will get regular milk...

Thoughts? I know that I have to keep her hydrated, but how do you do this when they can't keep anything down?
:rambo:

Comments

• M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    BTW, is Pedilyte okay to give in a bottle?
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We gave pedialyte in the bottle. I think my doctor said to cut by 50% with water. That might have just been for diareah though. I would lay off on the milk until she stops vomiting. Milk upsets X's tummy. Juice, pedialyte, and water for now. If she is having problems keeping anything down, give her pedialyte in very small but frequent doses. Like a tablespoon every 5 minutes. When you feel ready for food, feed gentle things like applesauce, bananas, rice and toast. We do tons of applesauce when X is sick because it's food plus it's hydrating. If it worries you, give your doctor a call.

I hope she gets better soon.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    I am tryig the applesauce and plain toast right now...no banana's as she's allergic. I don't have rice cereal, but I have some brown rice, do you know if that's okay? I will call the dr. too.

She seems to be sipping the Pedialyte from the sippy...just waiting to see if it comes back up.

Thanks!!!
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    S had a horrible cold around ten weeks and she got LOTS of Pedialite. Like, every other feeding was Pedialite.

What has her doc said?

I'm so sorry you guys are dealing with this! It's always so scary.
    I haven't called the doc yet, I will within the next 30 minutes...I am working from home and am on a call...

I heard her crying last night, and was TOTALLY surprised when I went into check on her and there was barf EVERYWHERE. In her hair, clothes, bedding, etc.

YUCKY.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    I am tryig the applesauce and plain toast right now...no banana's as she's allergic. I don't have rice cereal, but I have some brown rice, do you know if that's okay? I will call the dr. too.

She seems to be sipping the Pedialyte from the sippy...just waiting to see if it comes back up.

Thanks!!!

I don't know if brown rice is recommended but I have given it to Xander while sick and we had no problems.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    I heard her crying last night, and was TOTALLY surprised when I went into check on her and there was barf EVERYWHERE. In her hair, clothes, bedding, etc.

Oh, sweet little baby. It's so rough seeing them sick. And getting those chunks out of their hair, well there are no words...

My kids never liked Pedialyte, although I think it's pretty tasty. Just give little bits of whatever you are giving. A little water. A little pedialyte. A bit of toast.

Feel better soon, Miss E.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Don't they make pedialite in a popsicle form???
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    shelli wrote:
    Don't they make pedialite in a popsicle form???

Yeah... I've been living on those. My doctor recommended them - they're similar to preggie pops.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    God that sucks J~
    (((hugs)))
    Main thing is to keep them hydrated...
    Pedialyte & it is ok to give them milk if they want it...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

She's acting so hungry and thirsty, is it okay to feed her those bland foods? The doctor said to just do the Pedialyte every 15 minutes and all of that, but I just ate some noodles and she was pretty mad that I didn't give her any.

BUt she's kinda guzzling the Pedialyte now...
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    I lay off anything at least overnight (like Dr. Sears recommends rest for the stomach). Then I introduce the brat diet (or around here plenty of white rice, plantains). Cinnamon stops the spasms from the puking/diarrhea so I sprinkle over unsweetened apple sauce.

Ian hated the taste of pedialyte and then when I looked at the ingredients I think it had some form of artificial sweetner, etc. So I found this and will try it next time (hopefully not soon!) from the herbal book:

8 oz warm water
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    a pinch of salt
    2 tablespoons or more of honey, sugar or maple syrup (don't use honey or maple syrup if under a year old)

Combine all ingredients. Administer the drink by tablespoonful often or by 1/4 to 1/2 cup every half hour or so.

A tea of any of the following or combination prevents spasms and if you add spearmint or peppermint can reduce nausea:

ginger root
    cinnamon
    chamomile
    catnip
    lemon balm (plus these herbs are also calming for baby)
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    my childhood ped always said as long as they ask for it, their body is ready. Just make sure it's in smaller amounts and more frequent. I would also give her lukewarm or warmish fluids and not cold from the fridge.

Hope she feels better soon. I hate the chaos that comes with a houseful of puking or sick people.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My daughter doesn't like Pedialyte either, and we dilute ours b/c she absolutely won't drink it straight. Other than that if she's hungry I'll give her some b.r.a.t. diet stuff. White rice instead of brown rice b/c the white has more starch.

If she doesn't do the Pedialyte, I'd do water in very small amounts, but stay away from juice. Sick tummy times are one of the few times I let her drink soda - I give her some flat ginger ale.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • StephSStephS Posts: 352Registered Users
    ITA with everything marielle said. Esp about letting the tummy rest.

Plain noodles would be OK, no butter. And no milk. Any dairy is a bit much when one is not keeping down anything.

Sophie does not like Pedialyte. She eats nothing BRAT. I give her a bit of Sprite in a sippy and some plain crackers (low-salt Nabisco saltines) in a bowl and let her decide if she wants them or not. When she actually asks to eat, then some plain noodles or yogurt.

Is it strange that I flashback to my college days while I am holding her hair while she pukes? :?
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    StephS wrote:
    ITA with everything marielle said. Esp about letting the tummy rest.

Plain noodles would be OK, no butter. And no milk. Any dairy is a bit much when one is not keeping down anything.

Sophie does not like Pedialyte. She eats nothing BRAT. I give her a bit of Sprite in a sippy and some plain crackers (low-salt Nabisco saltines) in a bowl and let her decide if she wants them or not. When she actually asks to eat, then some plain noodles or yogurt.

Is it strange that I flashback to my college days while I am holding her hair while she pukes? :?

I just had to say I love the name Sophie - and lol at your flashback!
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • StephSStephS Posts: 352Registered Users
    Thanks! :P

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file