New to the CG method, desperate to get my hair back

threatmanticthreatmantic Posts: 1Registered Users
Hi, My name is Elizabeth and I'm a 20 year old college student studying Early Childhood Education from the Chicagoland area. As a kid, I had straight hair and but it was always thick and shiny. Once I hit puberty (around 10/11 years old) I started to get the curls. I absolutely hated it. I had these thick 2C/3A curls and everyone else had straight hair and my mom (she has 3A/3B curls...jealous) and she just told me to go with the curl because it's just too hard to fight it because she did for a long time and...well now she didn't care.

There were times I hated my hair but, honestly my hair fit my face and when i straighten it, it didn't look good. In high school I would dyed my hair professionally (My grandmother is a retired beautician) but it would never change my curl pattern and I stopped when I was 17 (cause my hair was so dark and I wanted to be a real redhead and my grandma got mad cause I was wasting dye cause i kept changing the shades lol)

So getting to the point now I'm 20 years old and I see a drastic change in the past few months. My curl pattern is completely gone to a 2A/2B. I've been lazy and sometimes I just brush out my hair on the second day and it's wavy and my mom says it's so nice and that pretty much my hair was never going to "be like her's" and that's upsetting. I've always complained "You can't do nothing with curly hair!!" but, now that I've lost my curl pattern, I'm panicked because now I really can't do nothing with my hair.

So I've been trying the CG method since the end of February and I'm slightly discouraged. I have 2A/2B hair (currently) with low porosity, high density, medium width, and medium length. (It does tend to get oily within a few days. Damn genetics.)
I use:
Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner
Leave in: Lustrasilk Curl Activator Moisturizer
Gel: La bella styling gel ( it's the green gel, not the pink curl gel :/)
Other: Diffuser works really well in activating the curls (but, it's a lot of work or I take a shower at 10PM and I don't want to wake my brother up with the diffuser going.)

I dry with a old shirt/plop and pineapple and even wear a silk bonnet when sleeping but the curls I created the night before become stringy and I don't know how to "reactivate" the curls. So I end up brushing out my hair or wearing a hat. I don't want to spend a lot of money or buy stuff online for my hair. My mom thinks I'm crazy for doing this already but, she's lucky she just can wash, put on product, and go so I want to work but I think there is something missing...

Comments

• lifescoutlifescout Posts: 69Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, My name is Elizabeth and I'm a 20 year old college student studying Early Childhood Education from the Chicagoland area. As a kid, I had straight hair and but it was always thick and shiny. Once I hit puberty (around 10/11 years old) I started to get the curls. I absolutely hated it. I had these thick 2C/3A curls and everyone else had straight hair and my mom (she has 3A/3B curls...jealous) and she just told me to go with the curl because it's just too hard to fight it because she did for a long time and...well now she didn't care.

There were times I hated my hair but, honestly my hair fit my face and when i straighten it, it didn't look good. In high school I would dyed my hair professionally (My grandmother is a retired beautician) but it would never change my curl pattern and I stopped when I was 17 (cause my hair was so dark and I wanted to be a real redhead and my grandma got mad cause I was wasting dye cause i kept changing the shades lol)

So getting to the point now I'm 20 years old and I see a drastic change in the past few months. My curl pattern is completely gone to a 2A/2B. I've been lazy and sometimes I just brush out my hair on the second day and it's wavy and my mom says it's so nice and that pretty much my hair was never going to "be like her's" and that's upsetting. I've always complained "You can't do nothing with curly hair!!" but, now that I've lost my curl pattern, I'm panicked because now I really can't do nothing with my hair.

So I've been trying the CG method since the end of February and I'm slightly discouraged. I have 2A/2B hair (currently) with low porosity, high density, medium width, and medium length. (It does tend to get oily within a few days. Damn genetics.)
    I use:
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner
    Leave in: Lustrasilk Curl Activator Moisturizer
    Gel: La bella styling gel ( it's the green gel, not the pink curl gel :/)
    Other: Diffuser works really well in activating the curls (but, it's a lot of work or I take a shower at 10PM and I don't want to wake my brother up with the diffuser going.)

I dry with a old shirt/plop and pineapple and even wear a silk bonnet when sleeping but the curls I created the night before become stringy and I don't know how to "reactivate" the curls. So I end up brushing out my hair or wearing a hat. I don't want to spend a lot of money or buy stuff online for my hair. My mom thinks I'm crazy for doing this already but, she's lucky she just can wash, put on product, and go so I want to work but I think there is something missing...
    Hi Elizabeth! Im in Chicago too...and I have a daughter a year older than you at Uchicago!
    You might want to try switching up some of your products to see if that helps. Alot of people on here with your looser curls/waves don't do well with just cowashing. I'm a 3a and I can cowash for a day but then I need to clarify well the next day or it starts to look stringy and oily. I started off using the more expensive products like Devacurl (Still use it between other products sometimes) then started rotating cheaper stuff into my routine and have found a few products that work.
    I can't do my hair at night, it just wont work for me and my hair is always a disaster in the morning so I do it every morning. I use to cowash with Suave coconut like you do but I have found that the Suave Ocean breeze is working better for me. I also use it as a rinse out condioner sometimes and it has great slip! Maybe try that one in case your hair is not responding well to coconut.
    I like the Devacurl lowpoo but I also love Natures gates shampoos and conditioners (from Wholefoods and completely CG friendly) .
    As a styler, my absolute favorite is homemade flaxseed gel with glycerin, Aloe vera gel (also from Whole foods) epsom salt and a bit of honey mixed in. You can find the recipe for Flax seed gel by typing it in to the search engine on here. Everyone on here has their own combination of ingredients that they add to their FSG and its super cheap to make and is the best gel I have ever used! You might find that FSG is not strong enough for your hair so you can smooth a stronger hold gel on top before diffusing.
    Other CG gels that I love and are stronger hold are Aussie instant Freeze and Garnier pure clean.
    Alot of people on here, including myself, find that products with Magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) help activate and define the curls. Ag recoil has it (but thats rather expensive) or you can do what alot of curlies do and add it to your products yourself.
    Hope that helps!
  • bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    I can't use Suave Coconut as a co-wash, either, and I'm also a fan of Nature's Gate. I use their herbal conditioner to co-wash, then a much smaller amount of Suave Coconut to comb through/rinse out with cool water. Much better effect.

I agree that switching products, one at a time, could help you find a routine that makes your hair happier. And maybe switch from brushing to gentle combing on days when your hair isn't working out... I don't know about others, but with my loose wave, brushing just stretches them further and makes life harder in the long run.
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
  • mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome, Elizabeth! Your curl pattern may get stronger as your hair gets healthier. Mine did. Did you do a clarifying wash before starting the co-washing? Co-washing alone works well for some but many of us here use gentle, sulfate-free shampoos on a regular basis. Doing healthy things for your hair doesn't need to be expensive. I agree with the FSG recommendation but it's hard to guide you toward specific products without knowing more about your hair properties. This link may help you:
    Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics
    The info from there will help you determine if your hair needs moisture or protein. Finding a balance between the two is key.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file