No more waves and need help w/dry scalp (hugh pic, sorry)

ShellweShellwe Registered Users Posts: 226
Ok so I had been growing out my natural hair color "gray" last color was April 2012. I wanted a change and I'd had enough of the two tone hair color, so I chopped it off. Went from shoulder length to short style.

def6e87d-2d78-4f3a-92e1-3553b2118a41.jpg
dfb3f3a1-d07f-4ce5-a083-dc56c1e6130b.jpg

So now I have no more waves but instead I have flippy ends. Not exactly loving the new cut, but IT WILL GROW ;)

I'd been having a probelm with a dry scalp (not dandruff, just dry) before cutting it but now it's worse. I'm trying to figure out how to style it without using heat (dryer) as I know that isn't helping the dryness.

Did a search and was reading previous posts about dry scalp and came across something that said with co-washing you should keep the conditioner off your scalp - how the heck would I do that if my hair is only 3 inches long :confused:

Any advise or suggestion on how to deal with a dry scalp and or products that will help with styling that doesn't require blow drying - I would be forever greatful. Thanks
2b fine texture, normal porosity/elasticity

Comments

• bravebrave Registered Users Posts: 24
    With co-washing I think it's fine to let conditioner touch your scalp. Especially if that's what you're using to clean it. Other than that I would try a little bit of coconut oil overnight on the scalp to help.
    Medium porosity, medium texture, iii/2c
    Ingredient buff and believer in the cones.
  • ShellweShellwe Registered Users Posts: 226
    brave wrote: »
    With co-washing I think it's fine to let conditioner touch your scalp. Especially if that's what you're using to clean it. Other than that I would try a little bit of coconut oil overnight on the scalp to help.

Thank you Brave for your reply.

• Monkey_Monkey_ Registered Users Posts: 71
    Hi, I second brave's suggestion. That was my initial thought: coconut oil. I also think that touching your scalp with conditioner is a good thing, especially if it is a moisturizing one.

Also, when I apply leave-in conditioner I don't mind massaging a bit on the scalp. It depends what leave in conditioner you use though. And finally, you shouldn't wash your hair every day. I wash mine every second day and even that might be too much. This gives your scalp time to create its own oils. :)
    2b/c, fine, low-med porosity
    Co-Wash: Live Clean Fresh Water Conditioner
    Leave-In: Yes To Carrots Leave-in Conditioner
    Styler: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Boosting Mousse, FSG, GF Pure Clean Gel
  • chloe92uschloe92us Registered Users Posts: 1,203 Curl Neophyte
    Sorry, I do t have any advice about your scalp, but I love the short cut! :thumbleft:
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • wannabewannabe Registered Users Posts: 42
    I just wanted to say I love the hair cut, including the little flip! I don't think it would be as nice without the flip actually.

I would think you would have to judge by the way your hair feels when wet if you can get away with no conditioner. I have shoulder length and condition the sides and back of my hair/scalp and length, but generally only the top/crown weekly.

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App
    2c, some straight pieces on canopy, curlier underneath. Fine, thin, unsure on porosity - sent in my sample and waiting to hear back. Products - have a bunch I am trying out, CJ, Deva, SM Yucca, TJ.
    Monkey_ wrote: »
    Hi, I second brave's suggestion. That was my initial thought: coconut oil. I also think that touching your scalp with conditioner is a good thing, especially if it is a moisturizing one.

Also, when I apply leave-in conditioner I don't mind massaging a bit on the scalp. It depends what leave in conditioner you use though. And finally, you shouldn't wash your hair every day. I wash mine every second day and even that might be too much. This gives your scalp time to create its own oils. :)

Thanks Monkey - I'm going to try the coconut oil and see how that goes. I've also started skipping a day inbetween washes as well.

chloe92us wrote: »
    Sorry, I do t have any advice about your scalp, but I love the short cut! :thumbleft:

Thanks

wannabe wrote: »
    I just wanted to say I love the hair cut, including the little flip! I don't think it would be as nice without the flip actually.

I would think you would have to judge by the way your hair feels when wet if you can get away with no conditioner. I have shoulder length and condition the sides and back of my hair/scalp and length, but generally only the top/crown weekly.

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App

Thank you Wannabe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file