Oops! Silicones

gloria25gloria25 Registered Users Posts: 35
Oops! I used a smoothing product today to try to tame 2nd-day frizzies (I'm still learning), and now I wonder if I have to use something "harsher" than a sulfate-free shampoo the next time I shampoo. I have tried to give up both sulfates and silicones at the same time, but I don't know what to do if I slip up and use some silicones (I'm still going through all my products to see what's possible safe...likely none of it that I haven't purposefully bought for naturally curly method!).

I really don't want to use the Suave Professionals Rosemary Mint that I already have on hand (from before I went SLS-free:), because although I enjoy the scent, I think it had been messing with my scalp and of course, doing damage to my wavy hair. So, I'd like to pick up an inexpensive emergency shampoo that won't be too harsh that I can use when some silicones sneak their way into my hair (rarely, I hope). That is, IF you knowledgeable ladies tell me that, yes, I have to shampoo with something stronger than my new sulfate-free choice, Nature's Gate to remove silicones from my hair.

Thanks!:cat:
Started embracing the 2b waves in March 2013. I can't believe how immediate the difference, when I stopped using sulfates! Now I need guidance on most everything else. :sunny:
My best guess so far at my hair profile: 2b, medium porosity, fine and med width strands, low-to-med density, medium length.

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Basic advice is to use a sulfate free shampoo containing Cocamidopropyl Betaine or Cocobetaine, or a sulfate shampoo if you want to remove silicones that are not water soluble (these shampoo of course also remove water soluble silicones too). The ingredients list I found for your Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo on drugstore.com does not list Cocamidopropyl Betaine, but it does list Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, along with 3 other cleansing ingredients. According to this thread here on nc.com, and this FAQ for a natural products company (scroll down to question #1 "What are sulphates and are they something I should be avoiding?"), Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine is very close to Cocamidopropyl Betaine. In fact, the company uses it in place of Cocamidopropyl Betaine. Given that information, I'd use the shampoo you already have and figure that your hair will come out silicone free.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • gloria25gloria25 Registered Users Posts: 35
    Thanks! That is really helpful. So far, most of the science of this is still over my head. My eyes start to glaze over as I read the long ingredient lists. I need to have a "NO" list of specific ingredients to keep in my purse so I can keep all this straight when shopping at the store!
    Started embracing the 2b waves in March 2013. I can't believe how immediate the difference, when I stopped using sulfates! Now I need guidance on most everything else. :sunny:
    My best guess so far at my hair profile: 2b, medium porosity, fine and med width strands, low-to-med density, medium length.
  • CurlyCanuckleCurlyCanuckle Registered Users Posts: 15
    Gloria25 - I did the same thing. I bought conditioners thinking I had it right and nope, silicones. There really is a steep learning curve for this stuff :goofy:

Are ALL silicones bad -not in poo/co, but in styling products? (Yes, that is a stupid question, I know...I just need to hear it; I have a cupboard FULL of product from my flat iron days :sad11: )
    Totally new noob...I have no idea what I'm doing!

Type: 2c, medium porosity, low/med density, medium width, APL+, colour treated
    Goal: To lose the flat iron and embrace my waves for the first time ever!

Clarifying poo: Live Clean ACV
    Co: L'Oreal Cleansing Conditioner, GF Pure Clean, Redken Curvaceous Leave in Co
    Products: Curly Sexy Hair Foam Curl Enhancer and Liquid Curl Gel, Pantene Curl Defining Scrunching Mousse
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Gloria25 - I did the same thing. I bought conditioners thinking I had it right and nope, silicones. There really is a steep learning curve for this stuff :goofy:

Are ALL silicones bad -not in poo/co, but in styling products? (Yes, that is a stupid question, I know...I just need to hear it; I have a cupboard FULL of product from my flat iron days :sad11: )

Silicones are not good or bad. They are an ingredient that some people choose to use in their hair products and other people choose to avoid. The CG method (no sulfates, no silicones) has done wonders for many curlies and waives, but there are also plenty of people out there with amazing hair who still use these types of products. When it comes to hair products, there are many factors besides the presence or absence of silicones that will affect how well it works for your hair. What is ultimately the most important part of making your hair look and feel its best is treating it gently and making sure it is well moisturized. It is absolutely possible to accomplish this with or without silicones. I'm on the mobile app, so I can't hunt for the thread to link it, but there was a thread recently about this in the general hair section, maybe within the last month or two.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file