CurlTalk

What is your identity? With which group(s) do you identify?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
Any particular group?

For me, I'm Black 1st. A woman, 2nd. Christian, 3rd. Second and third places might switch at times. But my identities aren't all on equal footing.

What about you?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    This is a pretty open-ended question. I guess that makes it kind of interesting though.

I'd say Female, 20's/30's, Liberal, and Scientist/Academic.

For me I don't think of race as being an identifying group, but that's probably because I'm white.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    Definitely female first. Liberal. American.
  • lotoloto Posts: 133Registered Users
    Female. Third world. Environmentalist.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App
    3A: med/coarse texture; high porosity
    <3 Honey rinses
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    Woman. Mom. Christian. Gen X. American. Geek.

Does smartass count as a group? Because I definitely think I belong there. ;)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    A Gen X Woman (and proud of it), Dispatcher, Freak, American (again, proud, but don't start singing Lee Greenwood), Spiritual and/or a believer in God that does not fully identify with organized religion.

ETA: Let me make that 'Appalachian' American. We are a different breed. Haha, hehe, hoho.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Canadian

Liberal

Woman

Atheist
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    1st: Woman
    2nd: scientist
    3rd: minority
    4th: multiethnic
    5th: american
  • DsotomayorDsotomayor Posts: 173Registered Users
    I feel that i can fall into so many groups but here are the ones I think of first (in no particular order):

Female, mother, hispanic, american, catholic, wife, volunteer, good friend, fashionista, health conscious, party planner, scrap booker, book club member, and.....curl girl! Lol
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    Woman. Mom. Christian. Gen X. American. Geek.

Does smartass count as a group? Because I definitely think I belong there. ;)

The bestest group of all! ;)
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Woman, Hispanic/immigrant/minority, American (because I can never fully relate to a lot of other Hispanics having spent most of my life here), geek.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    Spazz
    Alien
    Cat
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have so many identities! No wonder I'm always so tired.

Child of God would be first. Then mother. Then toss up btwn woman and African American. Then it gets dicey.

• B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Human, Woman, Spiritual (and what Fifi said about not getting into organized religion), Wife/Step-Mom/Grandmother, Italian-American, Liberal
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    Mother
    Liberal/Social Democrat
    Seeker of knowledge
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    Woman
    American
    Jewish (not very religious but ethnically/culturally strong)
    New Yorker
    Independent (politically)
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    Woman
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • naturaldollnaturaldoll Posts: 567Registered Users
    mom 1st, woman, american, black, christian
    Last Relaxer: February 14, 2011
    BC: March 17, 2012
    Porosity: Low to Normal
    Curl Type: 4a/3c
    Texture: Coarse
    Density: Thick
    Length:shoulder
    24661416.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    :love4::afro:
  • YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users
    1. Mom
    2. Woman
    3. Biracial
    4. Student
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FCurly-Y%2F" class="Popup (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    Redhead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Hmmm, ok yeah, I should've explained better. When I say "identity," I mean something deeper than fashionista (no shade). For the most part, I'm looking for how you define yourself as a human being, and that's probably based on traits that are either immutable or somehow center on deeply held principles and values. I'm not just looking for groups that you belong to for the moment.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I would think for some fashionista would be far from a momentary definition, though.

I would put my groups as:
    Jewish
    Enginerd
    Horsebackrider
    Woman
    American

The first three could be shuffled and still work. But it's not about a job, but truly about innate personality traits for the group "engineer." I am usually the one interested in details of something when other people say "who cares?" Not out of emotional deep caring, but out of a desire to understand how the parts of a story, a personality, or even a chair work together to make a whole. Yes, I work as an engineer, but there's a certain nerdy desire to investigate details which is not the job, but who I am. Same with the horses - my love of horses makes them into a lifestyle, not just a hobby, and with the time and money committment, time spent reading, researching, watching videos and working out to help improve the time spent with the horses on top of the horsey time, they're definitely up there.
    Being Jewish informs everything I do. I stand up for people I feel are being bullied regularly, including at times people I don't even consider "friends" on this board (but who could be friends someday), and often point out to people I know if they are in some way prejudiced against someone else because any kind of prejudice or blaming another group as something being their "fault" really bothers me because of the history of what happened to my people.
    As a woman - well, yes, romantically it will affect things, and the fact I'm straight perhaps should be listed there but I think it's part of my privelege that it hadn't occured to me until I started typing this. Being a woman doesn't have as much significance in the decisions day to day beyond how I dress and look, I don't think. My job is most definitely in a male dominated field, but work is judged for quality and certain personality attributes, not gender. My horse also doesn't care what my sex/gender is, though my size and strength do affect how I have to ride and I suspect if I were not female I would be both taller and stronger.
    As far as being an American - that is a huge one just for everyday life, so ingrained into my being that I don't think of it regularly as a group influencing me - I looked more at the groups which differentiate me from the "norm" and it's just not that unusual in my everyday life.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmmm, ok yeah, I should've explained better. When I say "identity," I mean something deeper than fashionista (no shade). For the most part, I'm looking for how you define yourself as a human being, and that's probably based on traits that are either immutable or somehow center on deeply held principles and values. I'm not just looking for groups that you belong to for the moment.

I can see fashionista as being salient if you work in the fashion industry or spend a lot of time making your own clothes or have been some kind of style trend setter or if maybe your personal style associates you w/ a particular subculture or counter culture movement.

• CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    Woman
    Lesbian
    First Generation American
    Mexican American (sorry Hungarian ancestry! I hardly know ye! [butwouldlovetoknowmoresoIcanidentifywithit])
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    Woman
    Black
    Liberal
    Lover (spiritually)
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

• NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    Woman, Canadian, daughter, sister, of British decent, care giver.
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    1. Wife
    2. Mom
    3. No particular group of people, I'm still feeling and learning my way around socially.
  • moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users
    dp
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
  • moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users
    1. Black and female tie
    2. My tribe or just general native.
    3. "Minority"
    4. Non-religious. Although I sometimes identify with Lutherans as I was Lutheran in childhood.
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    The first two are what I identify the strongest. The others are in no particular order:

1. Black, African American(I tend to use the terms interchangably)
    2. Woman
    3. Writer
    4. Moderate (though liberal on social issues)
    5. Daughter
    6. Aunt
    7. Spiritual (Like some other posters, I don't do organized relgion though I still believe that there is something beyond this realm)
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup