CurlTalk

Confused about porosity and width

I'm still trying to define my hair properties and there are some things that confuse me.

Right now, I believe that my properties are high density, coarse, low porosity. The latter I thought to be high in the beginning when I did the slip 'n slide test. I clearly felt bumps and this was true for many different strands on many different place. However, when I did the float test, my hair kept floating and floating and floating, which made me believe I'm low porosity. Additionally, my hair takes some time to get thoroughly wet and when I refresh in the morning with a spray bottle, huge drops are on my hair like beads.

When it comes to the products I've been using since going CG, I'm experiencing different things. It seems that the CJ Argan & Olive Oil is quite to heavy to use as a co-wash on my healthy hair and weighs it down. This is not true when I use a shampoo (I discovered this after a build-up disaster and cleansed with a sulphate shampoo as no other was around). The weighing down when co-washing makes me believe I'm overconditioning.

What doesn't make sense to me is that my hair weighs down as this conditioner has plenty of emollients, which low porosity hair is supposed to like. Low porosity is supposed to dislike protein-rich products. Curl Junkie Curl Queen is a protein bomb, but I'm not sure whether I get the straw-like hair I should get if I truly got low porous hair. I still have a producty look after just applying it, but in the evening, my curls are relatively soft.

I determined that my hair is coarse because I always see it and it just feels very coarse. I certainly have moments when my hair actually has a silky feel, but often the coarseness takes over. I'm just wondering whether this coarseness is a hint for my hair being coarse or whether it is the straw-like hair I'm supposed to have when using protein if I get my porosity property right.

The only properties I'm confident about is elasticity (normal) and density (high). Based on my observations, has anyone any thoughts? I'm about to order some new CJ products and I really want to try Coffee CoCo Curl Creme, but only if I think it matches what my hair needs. I will only know if I learn more about why my hair behaves the way it does.
F - LP - HD - NE
Fine, low porosity, high density, normal elasticity
Hairtype 2c

Low poo: Petal Fresh Organics Rosemary & Mint Volumizing Shampoo
Protein: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)
Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    Just based on what you've described, I'm going to say that your hair is definitely not coarse. Texture (width) seems to play more of a role in protein sensitivity than porosity. When I first found this site I also thought that my hair was between medium and coarse because I could see the individual strands. Then I started seeing that my hair didn't act like medium-coarse hair at all- for example, my hair couldn't get enough protein. I finally caved and got the hair analysis, which confirmed what I was starting to suspect- may hair is fine. I can still see the individual strands, and I even have some individual strands that are definitely closer to medium or coarse texture, but the majority of my hair is fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • flippaciousflippacious Posts: 155Registered Users
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    Just based on what you've described, I'm going to say that your hair is definitely not coarse. Texture (width) seems to play more of a role in protein sensitivity than porosity. When I first found this site I also thought that my hair was between medium and coarse because I could see the individual strands. Then I started seeing that my hair didn't act like medium-coarse hair at all- for example, my hair couldn't get enough protein. I finally caved and got the hair analysis, which confirmed what I was starting to suspect- may hair is fine. I can still see the individual strands, and I even have some individual strands that are definitely closer to medium or coarse texture, but the majority of my hair is fine.
    +1

I too thought my hair was coarse or medium-coarse at first. There was a thread on this recently (I forget what it's called), but many of us think our hair feels coarse when we first start out. For some, this is because the hair can feel a little coarse when it is very dry and needs moisture. And if your hair is getting weighed down by emollient rich products, I think that's another sign it probably isn't coarse.

I suggest you pull a few dry, productless hairs out to check. Take just a few from different areas (temple, nape, etc.) and really look at them. I thought my hair was coarse until I did this, and was like... wait a second, these are pretty fine. I can easily see them because I'm brunette, but they are thin width-wise. Make sure you are looking at a single strand and not a few next to each other.

Also, I know Kathymack is low porosity and her hair loves protein. She has said (and I believe her, because I looked into it a little too) that naturallycurly.com is the only place she has read about low porosity hair disliking protein.
    2b/c, high density
    fine, medium porosity, normal elasticity
    loves protein, hates polyquats
    still searching for HGs
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    Here is the post on CJ Marsha's blog that give you picture representation of texture Curl Junkie - Natural Hair Care for all types of Curly Hair!: My 2 cents on Protein/Texture/Porosity/Moisture Balance! :-) Seeing examples, or pulling a hair out to compare may help you. Don't go by the float test for porosity, it's really unreliable. If you have some bumps, your hair probably isn't low porosity. Texture is more important then porosity, IMHO.

The only place I've read that low porosity hair and protein aren't compatible is on nc.com page about hair properties. That's why I never give that link to folks. The livecurlylivefree link is better.

My fine/low porosity LOVES protein. I do at least one PT a week and use a lot of products with protein.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 880Registered Users
    Thanks all for the very useful replies! I just miss a frame of reference and that's what makes it so difficult to determine my properties. I have to go to practice now (I'm on a ballroom formation team), but I will co-wash again today and watch my hair closely and get some clean, dry hairs to look at them carefully.

Based on the information I got from you all, I'm suspecting I'm probably in between all the 'extremes'. I do have some bumps, but it's not extremely bumpy and you can still slide your fingers down the strand very easily, so I expect my hair is medium porosity. High porosity seems unlikely as I've never done anything to my hair and I haven't used a diffuser or hair dryer for years. Although it could be genetic of course, but my mum's not the right person to check as she treats her hair so differently from the way I treat mine.

My strand research should give me an answer as to whether I have fine, medium or coarse hair. I vaguely remember that they looked at the diameter of an individual strand (under a microsope) when I was checking out high schools and found that it was very fine, but then again, that was ten years ago.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted about my findings!
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Okay so I just came out of the shower and I'm not sure what my conclusion is. I have examined plenty of productless, dry strands and I had one that was extremely coarse (which came from the underlayer which is straighter than the rest of my hair and also darker because it barely gets any sunlight) and I found that I would not consider the rest necessarily fine, but I also realised that I actually do not know what fine strands look like. I kind of expect them to be almost invisible, which is definitely not the case.

That being said, I think that the overall width of my strands is medium because they do not match those few really coarse strands, yet they are still very clearly visible.

I could take a picture and put it up on here but I'm not sure if anyone would be able to confirm my current observations :-P
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,255Registered Users
    If you want another visual reference, the hair "down there" is normally coarse. So, if the hair on your head is about the same, it's coarse, a lot thinner, it's fine, and somewhat thinner but not dramatically so, then it's medium
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Thanks Geek_Chic! I just read about that on Live Curly Live Free and actually compared. It's somewhat thinner but the differences are minor so I think my hair is medium with some coarser strands for the underlayer.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Okay so just a recap. At this point I'm thinking my properties are:

Medium (or even high??? but my hair looks so healthy) porosity
    Medium width (possibly fine, but probably not coarse seeing it handles protein quite well)
    High density
    Normal elasticity

I'm just wondering what this would mean in terms of products. I know co-washing with Beauticurls Argan & Olive oil is a bit too much for my hair and it gets weighed down/slightly overconditioned. That's why I'm thinking about ordering CJ Curl Assurance Gentle Cleansing Shampoo. I want to order something next to it and I've been dying to try CJ CCCCCL but it didn't really seem to be for coarsehaired people. The other product I considered was CJ Daily Fix. I would love to get all three but I have to limit myself to two (for the sake of not becoming a product junkie. Any thought on how these products could possible work on my new thought on properties?
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • heyhoheyho Posts: 55Registered Users
    You might find this useful:

Curly Hair - Medium Texture Products
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users
    I've tried all three of those products. My hair is medium coarse and it likes both the CJ shampoo and the CCCCL. I used Daily Fix for awhile but missed the lather I got with shampoo, and I also found it hard to distribute, especially as my hair got longer. The CCCCL is almost lotiony in its consistency and has great slip - I didn't need a lot of it to get the results I wanted. Hope that helps.

I experienced the same difficulties in trying to figure out my properties, and finally broke down and got the hair analysis done. Best money I've spent on my hair - no more guesswork.
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

Hi Rustina! Thanks for sharing your experiences, that's really helpful :-)

I'm extremely fed up with my hair today. I co-washed it yesterday with the CJ Argan & Olive oil conditioner. Today, I went through my usual spray-and-plop routine and although my hair is just as voluminous as it usually is, my curls are limp, it lacks shine and it just doesn't hold or something. I get this every time I co-wash so I think low-poo might be the solution for me.

I wish I could get a hair analysis done, but I don't believe they do that here in the Netherlands :(

Based on everything and your experiences, I think I'll order the shampoo and CCCCL today before it's out of stock again (really popular over here apparently).
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users
    Good luck with the CCCCL! Hope it works for you. As for the hair analysis, if you wanted to get one through Live Curly, Live Free I'm sure you could - you'd have to pay to mail your hair sample to them, but the analysis you get in return is sent via email. I don't see why it couldn't be done even though you're overseas.
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

Thanks! I ordered CJ CCCCL and the cleansing shampoo. Very curious to see the results, I'll let you know what I think!

That's not a bad idea actually, I'll send them an email :)
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Oh wow, I found a topic by Tiffany from Live Curly, Live Free about protein and I think I might even have fine hair!

She asks the following question based on her observations in beauty school:
    If you have coarse hair, does protein badly dry you out; if you have fine hair, do humectants and emollients give you limp, heavy, greasy hair

Topic can be found here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/35572-proteins-humectants-true-false.html

If I truly had coarse hair, all the protein in Curl Queen should dry out my hair (but it doesn't) and if I have fine hair, it will become limp and heavy and perhaps even greasy when I used emollients. I find that when I co-wash with my emollient bomb conditioner, it does become limp and heavy.

This is quite a shock to me because I was convinced I had coarse hair and even the idea of having medium hair was already quite shocking.

Does anyone else with fine hair experience the same when using emollients?
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    It's common for curly haired people to think their hair is coarse, when it's actually dry. I forget the %, but fine hair is a really high %age, medium much less and coarse hair uncommon.

I balance out the emollients with A LOT of protein. It's all about getting the protein/moisture balance right.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    I don't get as much weigh down from heavier products and emollients as some others with fine hair, but I suspect it's because my hair is so thick. I think in my case the density offsets the texture a little bit. It's this combination of properties that I suspect is a big reason behind my "very agreeable" hair (there are very few products that haven't given me at least decent results).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Kathymack, thanks for your reply! I've been thinking about the proteinbalance and I think I now understand why it is so essential to balance out the emollients. Isn't it because protein kind of supports the structure of the curl because curls are partly made up of keratin? So if the moisture level is too high because of an overabundance of emollients, you need lots of protein to balance that and retain curl structure. Am I right with this?
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Lauraimes wrote: »
    Kathymack, thanks for your reply! I've been thinking about the proteinbalance and I think I now understand why it is so essential to balance out the emollients. Isn't it because protein kind of supports the structure of the curl because curls are partly made up of keratin? So if the moisture level is too high because of an overabundance of emollients, you need lots of protein to balance that and retain curl structure. Am I right with this?

Essentially, that's correct--especially for fine hair.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »

Essentially, that's correct--especially for fine hair.

Great! Thanks :-) It feels great to finally really understand all these kinds of things.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    If you're still trying to figure out width, here's what did it for me (totally unscientific test here):

My hair LOOKS big, because it's curly. People have always called it "thick" - so I assumed the hair itself was thick.

Then I noticed whenever I put it in a ponytail or braid, it completely disappeared down to a tiny baby braid. It looked just like when people put a little kid's hair in a band, it's like the thickness of your pinky finger. My hair does that, despite taking up a lot of space when it is loose. And yes, I get the "pony poof" if I'm not careful.

This is basically how I learned the difference between width (my hairs themselves are fine) and density (I have about a hundred million billion hairs). I've learned to like that combo now that I know what it means, but it was awful when I thought my hair was "thick" and tried to style it as if it were or use products for "thick unruly hair."

For references, I have dark brown/auburn hair, but one dry hair held up to the light is like a wisp. When my hair is wet, a single one becomes much darker and easier to see.
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
    Thanks bosanbo!

I have a lot of hair and you cannot see my scalp except for the part. When I wear a ponytail (always without the part), I still have a lot of hair, very bushy. I always find it difficult to get hold of elastics (is this the correct word in English?) that are firm and stretchy enough to make the ponytail.

Just to illustrate: this was August 2012, normal hair day /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn1%2F526312_10151111715144259_1463809864_n.jpg" class="Popup

Based on how my hair responds to emollients in my conditioner and protein in my styler, I think it is fine (whereas I really thought it was coarse). Coincidentally, I ran into my mum yesterday and she just came back from her hairdresser. She has no curl whatsoever, but she told me her hairdresser says she has fine hair and a lot of it. Her hair is even coarser than mine.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    kathymack wrote: »
    Here is the post on CJ Marsha's blog that give you picture representation of texture Curl Junkie - Natural Hair Care for all types of Curly Hair!: My 2 cents on Protein/Texture/Porosity/Moisture Balance! :-) Seeing examples, or pulling a hair out to compare may help you.

That is a really useful link - I haven't seen images of texture examples before. I had to keep moving my hair slowly across the screen to be able to compare the thickness, otherwise the light from the screen made seeing the hair difficult... It turned out to agree with my hair analysis profile, so that's good!
  • bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    I think "coarse" is a difficult term; people (not just CGirls) tend to call dry hair "coarse" regardless of its width, since coarse describes many different textures to different people. So fine hair can feel very coarse to the touch (coarse meaning rough), especially if it is both dry and very porous. So try to go by the width of individual strands (it looks finer in the photo to me, in the bangs around your face), instead of how it feels to the touch. Thinner = fine, very thick = coarse, middle = well, the middle. Mine was just so easy to figure out once I looked at it, because it's so fine, especially compared to other people's hair. So check out a friend's hair, too, compared to yours.

I call them elastics, but people in California call them hair bands or rubber bands or hair ties. It's a regional difference in English; I grew up near Canada.

You have pretty hair, by the way!
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
    Coarse is indeed a confusing term. My hair is weird when it comes to how it feels. Sometimes it's as soft as silk, yet at other times there is a certain roughness to it. I just thought my individual strands looked really big, course, massive, but I don't really have compared it to other people's hair (except for my mother's then). I will definitely start comparing, a frame of reference would be really helpful.

I had no idea that a simple word like that has so much variety! We call them "elastieken" in Dutch. This is the plural btw, singular would be "elastiek." I just never came across the word during my BA English Language & Culture.

And thank you! I take great pride in my hair and I'm hoping that knowing my properties will help me in enhancing my curls :)
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    I just thought my individual strands looked really big, course, massive, but I don't really have compared it to other people's hair (except for my mother's then). I will definitely start comparing, a frame of reference would be really helpful.

Umm... The following link was posted earlier in this thread by kathymack and is one such really helpful frame of reference:

Curl Junkie - Natural Hair Care for all types of Curly Hair!: My 2 cents on Protein/Texture/Porosity/Moisture Balance! :-)
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    One thing I find helpful to determine texture, is to pluck off a few hairs (newer, shortish hairs are best to use). Hold each one at the root, and hold it sideways, parallel to the ground. If its coarse, it really just sticks out and doesn't bend much. If its fine or normal, it bends and hangs straight down. It's hard to distinguish between normal and fine hair really, but by rolling a strand between your fingers- if you can't really feel much substance, it's probably fine.

My grays are coarse, everything else is normal.

Here's a link for determining porosity and density that shows a different technique I had not seen before:

How to Find Your Hair Porosity and Density | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
    I'm writing this series on my blog on hair (curls) and I posted a piece about sulphates and silicones today, including pictures of 2008 and 2009 where my hair is really different from now. I also included pictures from 2012, right before and right after the hairdresser to show the difference because she uses sulphates and silicones whereas I have been cone and SLS free since summer 2010. I also included a picture of today, third day hair. I'm still experimenting with the CG method and I really think a protein conditioner like CJ Beauticurls Strengthening conditioner would be perfect. Anyway, just so you know what my hair looks like.

At this point, I think my hair is fine and porosity is still a question mark.

Het probleem van de poedellook - Schrijfmeisje.nl

First picture = today
    Second = left 2008, right 2009
    Third = left before, right after hairdresser
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Since my hair seems to like Curl Queen so much and since I suspect it's fine, I would like to try a protein treatment. To save some money, I'm thinking about doing a homemade protein treatment. I have searched for recipes and the one I came across most often was one with mayonnaise, honey and egg. Does anyone have any experiences with this? Would you recommend it?
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Since my hair seems to like Curl Queen so much and since I suspect it's fine, I would like to try a protein treatment. To save some money, I'm thinking about doing a homemade protein treatment. I have searched for recipes and the one I came across most often was one with mayonnaise, honey and egg. Does anyone have any experiences with this? Would you recommend it?

I'd do this one http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html, if I was you. Gelatine is readily available and it's pretty easy.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Kathymack! I'll definitely give it a try this weekend. Hope it works out because gelatin and I are enemies. Every single time I tried to cook something with that stuff turned out to be a disaster. Curious to see how I do when I'm using it for something that is not food.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number