CurlTalk

Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
Every year I face the same conundrum: go to the nearest Irish-themed bar, and falsely claim my red hair and married surname make me Irish, in order to receive kisses and free drinks.

This seems a bit sleazy, though on the other hand, my genuinely half-Irish SIL, who was born with platinum blonde hair and now has a Jewish surname, can't pull off convincing people of her authentic heritage at all, so in a sense, I'm merely taking her rightful place.

Do you celebrate St. Pat's day?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com

Comments

• murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    No.
    I'll wear green so people don't pinch me. Cause I don't want to be touched.
    Other than that no.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    Ya! I love the kisses! My irish is waaaay back but if the male is hot I'll claim it.

I also love the day drinking. Last year was my first Chicago st. Patrick's and I did not know how hard they went lol.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm Irish too but don't look it. And I don't drink during Lent so no bars for me. I will wear green and make shepard's pie for dinner. Black pudding really sounds good but I don't have any...on my to-do list for next year.

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Sometimes. Waring green and drinking beer is fun, but, his big claim to fame was killing off a bunch of Pagans.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    If I was ever off on SPD, I would celebrate to the fullest. I have no problem in the convincing people in the heritage department, from my last name to my green eyes.

I used to wear a green velvet dress every SPD and was always deemed 'Queen of the Pub'. That didn't mean jack other than a couple free drinks and do not try to kiss me without my permission. ;) Now I slap on a head band with 4 leaf clover antennas and call it day.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    We put up decorations. That's about the extent of it! Haha

I'm the tiniest bit Irish, but even then, my Irish great-grandparents' families lived in England for a good amount of time before coming to the U.S., from the sounds of it. And my last name is Scottish.
    So claiming it almost doesn't seem right!

Maybe I should start celebrating more, though... I'd be on board with kissing an Irish guy. From Ireland (not Boston, plz). Because... Hot.

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    The accent gets me.^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sometimes. Waring green and drinking beer is fun, but, his big claim to fame was killing off a bunch of Pagans.

Did he do that, too? I thought it was just the poor snakes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    The snakes were people, not snakes.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users

This day is so secular and unholy now, I'm sure he's writhing in his grave. :toothy10:
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

claudine19 wrote: »

Did he do that, too? I thought it was just the poor snakes.

both legend

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    SCG wrote: »

I'm the tiniest bit Irish, but even then, my Irish great-grandparents' families lived in England for a good amount of time before coming to the U.S., from the sounds of it. And my last name is Scottish.

Maybe I should start celebrating more, though... I'd be on board with kissing an Irish guy. From Ireland (not Boston, plz). Because... Hot.

I would be on board with that too. I love the accent.

Lard, with my families it's a mix of Irish, Scottish (same town/village as Braveheart) and I am pretty sure Welsh. Ulster-Scot's basically. It can get confusing. My surname is found is Wales but is more common in Ireland. I come from a long line of red headed grandfathers named Jepthy and Jebodiah, on my dads side. I know my great, great, great, great grandfather Jebodiah went from Ireland to England and then to Georgia (debtors prison) and then settled in NC.

Not that anyone needed to know that but I am chatty today.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    If I have an Irish concert to go to I will. There's no tiny bit Irish in me, so no, otherwise, besides the habit of green from growing up because you'd pretty much get assaulted if you weren't wearing green in school growing up.

This year I'll probably listen to the newest Carbon Leaf album while driving to see my horse. It's pretty Celtic sounding. :)

I also tend to take advantage of the options in the supermarket - we have a big corned beef in the freezer now.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    My BFF is Irish, but I haven't celebrated it much lately as it either fell during the week or the BFF had other priorities (she's a single mom). I did last year though when I went to a house party. This year I will be doing things, but nothing related to SPD.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    half-Irish here with the passport at home. mom was born in Dublin and our family always celebrates! it's a national holiday over there. i bought my yearly bottle of Irish Mist liqueur this week! mmmmm.....

smiley-character00131.gif

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    SCG wrote: »

I would be on board with that too. I love the accent.

Lard, with my families it's a mix of Irish, Scottish (same town/village as Braveheart) and I am pretty sure Welsh. Ulster-Scot's basically. It can get confusing. My surname is found is Wales but is more common in Ireland. I come from a long line of red headed grandfathers named Jepthy and Jebodiah, on my dads side. I know my great, great, great, great grandfather Jebodiah went from Ireland to England and then to Georgia (debtors prison) and then settled in NC.

Not that anyone needed to know that but I am chatty today.

Haha, I hear you, it can get really confusing! My great-grandmother's last name was Welsh, but she was Irish, and lived in Wallsend. :confused2:

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    "Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day". I'm not Irish at all, but that's never mattered to me or anyone else on St. Patrick's Day! I'll be at the parade on Sunday only because it's nearby, and I'll wear green to be festive, but that's all. Actually, I'll probably do a little day drinking, too. :occasion5:

I celebrate Easter (i.e. chocolate bunnies and lots of food) and I'm not Catholic, and I celebrate Valentine's day by wearing red/pink and going out to dinner with my sweetie or whatever, I don't see St. Patrick's day as very different. It's origins are pretty meaningless at this point, it's juts a silly excuse to celebrate something with friends and family, to bring people together.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    I'll listen to U2 and bake Bailey's infused spritz cookies ;)
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    My kids do Irish dance, so this is our "busy season." Lots of driving to lots of shows. Not much opportunity to indulge in green beer.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    in Ireland, they don't drink green beer - they consider it an abomination against nature.

instead they dump green food colouring into the River Liffey!

:D
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    I like Irish dancing.

Wish I'd learned it growing up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Who Me? wrote: »
    "Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day". I'm not Irish at all, but that's never mattered to me or anyone else on St. Patrick's Day! I'll be at the parade on Sunday only because it's nearby, and I'll wear green to be festive, but that's all. Actually, I'll probably do a little day drinking, too. :occasion5:

I celebrate Easter (i.e. chocolate bunnies and lots of food) and I'm not Catholic, and I celebrate Valentine's day by wearing red/pink and going out to dinner with my sweetie or whatever, I don't see St. Patrick's day as very different. It's origins are pretty meaningless at this point, it's juts a silly excuse to celebrate something with friends and family, to bring people together.

In Ireland, it's still a day of obligation (ie, expected to go to church).

• curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    No because I'm not Irish. And neither are 98.5% of people who celebrate it.

It's just tradition and an excuse to get sh*tfaced. And there's nothing wrong with that. Also it's on Sunday. Boo work the day after.

This always makes me giggle
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1363377018.199032.jpg
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    There is nothing remotely Irish about me. I have a little French (Haitian) in me, I recently found out, and I'm more of a Bastille Day celebrator. Better food!

Anyway, I'll be at church.
    I'm sure my mother will make corned beef (which I know isn't traditionally Irish) and cabbage.
    3c/4a
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users
    I am 3/4 Irish, though my married name is Jewish. Growing up in NJ, I always wanted to go into the city to see the parade, but never did. I did go to the Belmar parade a couple times. These days, I'll wear green, and my claddagh or trinity jewelry, and a pin I have that shows my first name in Gaelic and English. I'll raise a glass of Baileys at some point, and am considering making some Irish stew and soda bread.
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    Nah. It's not my thing.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm 1/4 Irish. It was a great excuse to go out drinking when I was younger. I haven't really celebrated in a few years though. I always wear green and sometimes my mom invites us over for corned beef and cabbage but that's about it.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    We would drink, But growing up never celebrated it like most american's My grandfather was hard core Irish(first in his family to be born in america, so he felt when non-irish would "pretend to be irish" and proceeded to get drunk, they were disrepecting our heritage. So out of respect for poppop. we would eat our cornbeef and cabbage (no one was eating lamb so no irish stew), drink a few drinks and eat irish soda bread and stayed home.

once poppop passed, we said the hell with that!! we would get so wasted we would forget what clan we were part of! one year, the day after st. patty's day I woke up in my closet!! :eek:

but this year it falls on sunday. so i'm just making us irish soda bread, toffee pudding with baileys cream and irish pasties.

oh well, i celebrate being irish everyday. and i'm not catholic so st. patricks is nothing special to me.
    Toffee pudding.

Yum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,248Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sometimes I go to the local parade, sometimes I go out for boiled dinner, sometimes I go to my local pub "Mickey's". They have bagpipers and green beer and all that jazz (the original bar was Italian but those owners are long since dead, then it moved to the old city fire stations and became rather Irish).

I might make a nice bottle of minty green Bailey's for the occasion.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html