To the regular Henna users....

CitznMagCitznMag Registered Users Posts: 66 Curl Neophyte
I am looking forward to my fourth attempt at using henna/indigo. I have been pleased with the coloring and conditioning effects and getting a little better at the whole messy process. I'm not crazy, however, with the earthy, grassy smell that lingers. On my second and third attempt, I added several drops of lavender EO, but still 2 weeks after my last application, and several CO washes with Suave, I still smell it in my hair. I am considering going back to occasional shampoo washes to see if that makes a difference.

Any of you have an issue with this and found a solution? I also like the slight relaxing of the curl and am willing to keep it up especially since I've purchased a better quality henna/indigo.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated :) .

Have a happy curly day!
Maggie
3b&c mix, CO (most of the time)

Comments

• imported_curly_in_caliimported_curly_in_cali Registered Users Posts: 58
    I've been using henna to color my hair for over 5 years. I add paprika to the mixture to help with the smell.
  • CitznMagCitznMag Registered Users Posts: 66 Curl Neophyte
    I've been using henna to color my hair for over 5 years. I add paprika to the mixture to help with the smell.

Paprika-hmmm-must also add an enhancement to the red--good to know. Thanks!
  • echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    just out of curiousity, I have spotted a brand of henna (cant remember the name) that has 4 different shades and wondered how the dark brown and black work? I have never used Henna before and am concerned about staining, dry hair and color longevity. I already have 18 or so inches of dark brown hair all but the last 2-3 inches of it are virgin, from my BC 3 years ago. Does it take long for the color to show change? I want to color my hair but I would prefer to stick to natrual methods if poss.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • CitznMagCitznMag Registered Users Posts: 66 Curl Neophyte
    echokitten wrote:
    just out of curiousity, I have spotted a brand of henna (cant remember the name) that has 4 different shades and wondered how the dark brown and black work? I have never used Henna before and am concerned about staining, dry hair and color longevity. I already have 18 or so inches of dark brown hair all but the last 2-3 inches of it are virgin, from my BC 3 years ago. Does it take long for the color to show change? I want to color my hair but I would prefer to stick to natrual methods if poss.

Check out this site: http://www.hennaforhair.com/. Lots of info here--read especially the info on 'compound henna'. It's inferior henna or not real henna at all sold as natural henna that may have adverse reactions when used over previously chemical dyed hair.
  • charolastra00charolastra00 Registered Users Posts: 24
    I normally have the smell for about a week.... I add allspice, paprika, honey, ground ginger, and cinnamon for the smell, but then I just smell like a strange pumpkin pie!

To get the scent out, I've had luck using a bit of baking soda as a clarifying wash. It's a bit too drying for some curlies but it really enhances my normally wavy hair. Afterwards, I do a deep conditioner of some sort- the stronger smelling the better. Coconut milk and bananas work well. The smell will still sort of linger but at least most of it is masked and it certainly has never lasted more than a week for me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file