How far can I go without getting red tones?

browniepointsbrowniepoints Posts: 8Registered Users
I n the near future(Mar.) I will be cutting off my relaxed hair and sporting a curly twa. I would really like to lighten it to a light golden brown. Currently I dye my hair jet black. Is golden brown too far to go without totally ruining my hair and ending up with brassy red and orange tones.

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    How are you planning on lightening your hair?

What is your natural color?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • browniepointsbrowniepoints Posts: 8Registered Users
    My natural color is off black. And I am not sure how I will color it to take it down to golden brown.
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    My natural color is off black. And I am not sure how I will color it to take it down to golden brown.

:arrow: Hopefully someone will come by soon that knows more than I know.

From reading this BB and others, I gather that hair color will not lift hair color. You are probably going to have to remove some of the black color, either by something like ColorFix or bleach, before you can do anything else.

Lightening non-color treated hair is much easier than lightening color treated hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    First off, like Brio said if you've used the jet black dye at all since you started growing your natural hair, you'll have to remove it before applying a lighter shade or else nothing will happen but even then results would be very hard to predict. Colorfix only works well on permanent color so if you used a semi or demi you'd have to use something else. After the removal, the level achieved must be orange, then you could try a dark ash blonde to neutralize it.

lf the TWA is all "virgin" hair maybe you could use a medium ash blond instead but the resulting shade could have some copper in it as when very dark hair lightens it has a lot of red pigment in it.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file