CurlTalk

coconut oil has saved my hair!

So I love love coconut oil. I was scared to try it because alot of people said it makes their hair dry. Omg why haven't I used this oil sooner?? I wish i would have used this when I had my long hair. It amazing. I barley need a gel or mouse when I use my leave-in and coconut oil It detangles my hair and makes it frizz free and soft. I just wanted to rave about it <3
«1

Comments

  • PuffffPuffff Posts: 55Registered Users
    I know how you feel! My family and friends are tired of me talking about coconut oil ;) haha speaking of which its about time for a deep treatment!! :D
  • PomegranateCurlPomegranateCurl Posts: 212Registered Users
    Hahaha... when I go to a salon they usually offer a deep conditioning treatment. I'm like "pshhhhhhh I've got coconut oil at home." Potent stuff. Love it!
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    I felt this way about it at first. After a few years using it, I suffered some build-up and now when I try and use it argh. It just doesn't seem to agree w/my hair anymore. Not saying this will happen to your hair. But once in a while you might want to go ahead and use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of any build up.
  • lucipherphilllucipherphill Posts: 1Registered Users
    I too agree with your suggestion about the benefits of coconut oil for hair. It is one of the most effective conditioners, which helps in regrowth of damaged hair. That’s why it is used in most hair-care products.
    Check out some designable design for pantalon pas cher.
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    I love it, too! I can only use it as a LI during the warmer months, but still use it in DT's, PT's, and as a pre-poo.

    I think a lot of people think it makes feel dry, but in at least some (probably many) it's more that the EVCO has gone back to solid state while in the hair and makes it feel that way.

    Just a theory, but I have noticed that for me. In the summer, it feels great. In the winter, my hair looks shiny but feels like straw, and that's why!

    But I'm glad it is working so well for you!!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

    Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    How do you use coconut oil for deep treatment and such? Sorry I'm clueless, haven't really been on here in a looong time
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • Raquel26Raquel26 Posts: 41Registered Users
    I love coconut oil!!! But I've had to be very careful with how much I use. It's very easy to use too much, which makes my hair stringy. But the right amount makes my hair soft and shiny.
    :hello2:my curly blog

    2 months into this... Still experimenting...
    Sporadic shampoo (usually 1 to 2 times a week): Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Co-wash or Rinse Out (in rotation): Suave clean breeze, V05 Strawberries & Cream, Tresseme naturals
    Leave in: CHS Curl Keeper, or Coconut oil
    Style: LA Looks Gel (the blue one), GF curl shaping spray gel
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thats why my jar is sitting on my vanity, and I use it on my face.
  • hambo02hambo02 Posts: 480Registered Users
    curlies who use CO. do you use it before your leave in or as a sealer?
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    Jaxie wrote: »
    How do you use coconut oil for deep treatment and such? Sorry I'm clueless, haven't really been on here in a looong time

    Just apply to wet hair and let it sit for a while. Maybe all night. That's what I do. I mix it with other oils though.

    And Myra--I use it on my face too! My skin loves coconut oil even more than my hair. :blob4:

    I don't use coconut oil to seal or as a leave in though. I think it might be a little heavy and weigh down the curl. Maybe I'll try it one day though.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

    CG since Nov. 2012

    Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

    * = HG

  • hambo02hambo02 Posts: 480Registered Users
    i like to use it to smooth frizz down if my hair gets firzzy as well. works great on dry hair
  • Raquel26Raquel26 Posts: 41Registered Users
    hambo02 wrote: »
    curlies who use CO. do you use it before your leave in or as a sealer?

    I use it after my leave in before my styler.
    :hello2:my curly blog

    2 months into this... Still experimenting...
    Sporadic shampoo (usually 1 to 2 times a week): Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Co-wash or Rinse Out (in rotation): Suave clean breeze, V05 Strawberries & Cream, Tresseme naturals
    Leave in: CHS Curl Keeper, or Coconut oil
    Style: LA Looks Gel (the blue one), GF curl shaping spray gel
  • LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Posts: 392Registered Users
    I use it as a prepoo before I low poo and I use it for scalp massages.

    I also use it on my lips before bed.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

    3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"


  • EricachristinaEricachristina Posts: 496Registered Users
    It was just okay for me, I wish it worked miracles like it did for some of you. I got a bit fed up with having to melt it.
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users
    Gotta love EVCO! I use it as a DC or as a sealer. I noticed that if I use it too much it can make my hair feel ike straw. :/ So I use it ever so often. I have never used it as a hot oil treatment! Will have to try this. :)
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

    PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC, Eco Styler
    Leave-In: KCKT, Garnier WB Coconut & Cocoa Butter LI
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • suellensuellen Posts: 20Registered Users
    Has anyone who's used coconut oil tried consuming it? Apparently if you have a few teaspoons of it a day, it'll work from the inside out and sort of make everything better (skin, hair, nails, etc). Can't remember where I heard this, but I was interested in trying it.
    My mom swears by coconut oil for cooking purposes, but I can't say that she uses it enough to be able to say it's had any affect on her.
    2C/3A
    no shampoo since Feb 2013
    CG is just way too much to keep track of
    medium porosity, medium density, medium everything

    "Well you're... thin, for someone who likes food"
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    suellen wrote: »
    Has anyone who's used coconut oil tried consuming it? Apparently if you have a few teaspoons of it a day, it'll work from the inside out and sort of make everything better (skin, hair, nails, etc). Can't remember where I heard this, but I was interested in trying it.
    My mom swears by coconut oil for cooking purposes, but I can't say that she uses it enough to be able to say it's had any affect on her.

    I eat a tsp or 2 a day because it's supposed to be good for your metabolism/energy levels. I will say it gives me more energy before my cardio. I try to take it in the morning with tea and cereal because if I take it later at night it keeps me up. I've only been consuming it for a few months though. I came upon the same research you did I think when I was googling coconut oil and hair when I first started the CG method. I use it to cook my curries sometimes and it's delicious.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

    CG since Nov. 2012

    Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

    * = HG

  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users
    dusalocks wrote: »
    suellen wrote: »
    Has anyone who's used coconut oil tried consuming it? Apparently if you have a few teaspoons of it a day, it'll work from the inside out and sort of make everything better (skin, hair, nails, etc). Can't remember where I heard this, but I was interested in trying it.
    My mom swears by coconut oil for cooking purposes, but I can't say that she uses it enough to be able to say it's had any affect on her.

    I eat a tsp or 2 a day because it's supposed to be good for your metabolism/energy levels. I will say it gives me more energy before my cardio. I try to take it in the morning with tea and cereal because if I take it later at night it keeps me up. I've only been consuming it for a few months though. I came upon the same research you did I think when I was googling coconut oil and hair when I first started the CG method. I use it to cook my curries sometimes and it's delicious.

    Ooooh I will have to try this. I never knew the internal benefits of using EVCO. I will have to do this from now on. :) Thank you for this information. Yet another reason to love EVCO! :thumbleft:
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

    PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC, Eco Styler
    Leave-In: KCKT, Garnier WB Coconut & Cocoa Butter LI
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • BosslaydeeBosslaydee Posts: 28Registered Users
    pinkwolf wrote: »
    dusalocks wrote: »
    suellen wrote: »
    Has anyone who's used coconut oil tried consuming it? Apparently if you have a few teaspoons of it a day, it'll work from the inside out and sort of make everything better (skin, hair, nails, etc). Can't remember where I heard this, but I was interested in trying it.
    My mom swears by coconut oil for cooking purposes, but I can't say that she uses it enough to be able to say it's had any affect on her.

    I eat a tsp or 2 a day because it's supposed to be good for your metabolism/energy levels. I will say it gives me more energy before my cardio. I try to take it in the morning with tea and cereal because if I take it later at night it keeps me up. I've only been consuming it for a few months though. I came upon the same research you did I think when I was googling coconut oil and hair when I first started the CG method. I use it to cook my curries sometimes and it's delicious.

    Ooooh I will have to try this. I never knew the internal benefits of using EVCO. I will have to do this from now on. :) Thank you for this information. Yet another reason to love EVCO! :thumbleft:
    same here :D
    i cant use the batch i have now, its mixed with evoo and filled with random stray hairs :P
    when i get another ill just split it up for skin, cooking and hair.
    :toothy4:4a/3c mix.:toothy4:

    BC: 09/28/12 :occasion9:
    growing everyday.

    one step at a time.. :sleepy3:
    SL / APL / BSL / MBL / WL


  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    It's an excellent cooking oil. Priceless.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

    :love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

    Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

    No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    I'm just laughing now because I'm imagining bringing a teaspoon of coconut oil to my mouth and consuming a hair ball. I have two jars of coconut oil actually. One stays in the kitchen and the other my bathroom cabinet. Just in case of furballs. Hope it works for you guys as much internally as it does externally. :thumbup:
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

    CG since Nov. 2012

    Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

    * = HG

  • LotusthreadsLotusthreads Posts: 27Registered Users
    Yep, we just bought another litre bottle of coconut oil for cooking -- I have a separate container of coconut oil for my hair :)
    Hair type: 2c/3a, fine, med density, med-high porosity
    Co-wash: tresemme naturals
    RO: garnier fructis nutri-repair nourishing, matrix cb, ytc
    LI: sukin, matrix cb, kckt
    Sealer: argan oil, coconut oil
    Gel: garnier fructis endurance 24 hr, kccc
    Dt: matrix cb, alchemy masque
    Pt: gelatin, joico Kpak
  • bosanbobosanbo Posts: 180Registered Users
    Another coconut oil fan here - for hair (sleep with it in once/week before my weekly low-poo), for face (wash, moisturize, or steam in it before a mask), lips, and cooking. My man jokes about how much I love it, and what a miracle goo it is. I even chased my uncle down with it when he had mysterious dry patches on his forehead, and after two days of oiling them twice a day, they were gone.

    I can't do shea/jojoba/olive oil on my hair as a DT. It always looks funky or fluffs way out. But coconut oil is the best, for me. I keep a little plastic bottle of it in the shower, so when I want to use it I just toss it on the floor and the hot water melts it while I shower.

    Fun facts: It has a very high smoke point, so it's good for high-heat cooking and safer than olive oil (which has a low smoke point) for such things. It has antibacterial properties. And it smells great.
    I sort of blog
    I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

    Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
    Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
    RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
    LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
    Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
    1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
    Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    Puffff wrote: »
    I know how you feel! My family and friends are tired of me talking about coconut oil ;) haha speaking of which its about time for a deep treatment!! :D

    I'm dying to try a DT with coconut oil! How do u do it? And where do u get it? I have fine hair so that's the only thing I'm worried about, but I'm finding that most products are too heavy for my hair, so I want to try a simple, natural approach :)
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    They sell it at any supermarket. Just make sure it's extra virgin. And put it in when your hair is very wet and still warm from the shower. It distributes/penetrates better and then you can throw on a shower cap for 10 minutes while you're shaving or get out and leave it for up to an hour to let it seep.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

    CG since Nov. 2012

    Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

    * = HG

  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    dusalocks wrote: »
    They sell it at any supermarket. Just make sure it's extra virgin. And put it in when your hair is very wet and still warm from the shower. It distributes/penetrates better and then you can throw on a shower cap for 10 minutes while you're shaving or get out and leave it for up to an hour to let it seep.

    Thanks Dusa! Just one more question, how much do u use?
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • omgstopitomgstopit Posts: 44Registered Users
    It only works for me if I mix it with something else, like a DT. If I leave it in under any circumstance an epic, greasy freakout ensues.
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    I'm gonna try it alone on dry hair and see how it goes. I ordered some cheap organic coconut oil online. I love buying stuff online ^_^ anyway, I decided to do it on dry hair because I don't think my hair will absorb anything when it's wet. I'll put on one of those self warming foil caps too (the ones that use your own body heat).
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    I can use it by itself to deep treat. For that maybe four tbsp for my whole head. I've done that once or twice but usually I mix it with other oils to deep treat. (Olive, castor, avocado, grapeseed.)
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

    CG since Nov. 2012

    Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

    * = HG

  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    Only four? Wow! I did a DT with olive oil today since I don't have the coconut oil yet and I used a lot more than that. (It's still wet though so idk how it turned out) I did apply it on dry hair though but I think I would need a lot anyway... Guess I do have a lot of hair :-/
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
«1