We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

CO washing and heavy sticky hair

So I have been CO washing and using only sulfate free and silicone free conditioners. My hair, especially at the roots, is so sticky and heavy. I can't even run my fingers through it! I am using VO5 clarifying conditioner for Cowashing (silicone and sulfate free), then L'Oreal sulfate and silicone free conditioner for after my cowashing to detangle.
Then only a Herbal essence gel (silicone free).

I thought my hair just needed some clarifying, so I did the Baking soda and vinegar rinse last week. My hair felt great after that, kinda dry, but much improved. Now today, I just did my first CoWash since then and the sticky, heavy feel is back! Just after 1 co wash!! Helpppppppp!
I am a newbie. I think I am a 2b. I have been blowdrying and straightening my hair for the last 15 years. Trying to embrace the REAL ME. :wink:

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,205Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i am not familiar with the products you use, but it sounds like you need to switch it up.
    you can use a low poo, they do not have sulfates, only mild surfactants that clean without stripping your hair. i low poo maybe once every 5 days, co wash the other days.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • NursenNancyNursenNancy Posts: 44Registered Users
    rbb wrote: »
    i am not familiar with the products you use, but it sounds like you need to switch it up.
    you can use a low poo, they do not have sulfates, only mild surfactants that clean without stripping your hair. i low poo maybe once every 5 days, co wash the other days.
    Yes, I was thinking I might need to run to the store and get some different conditioner. Just so bummed that a "clarifying conditioner" is leaving my hair so limp, heavy, and sticky!
    I was really hoping to give cowashing a real try, so I am going to try to not give up and buy a low poo for now.

Any other ideas what it could be? I guess since I am only really using 3 things, and only 1 thing at my roots (the VO5) it has to be that, huh?
    I am a newbie. I think I am a 2b. I have been blowdrying and straightening my hair for the last 15 years. Trying to embrace the REAL ME. :wink:
  • LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Posts: 392Registered Users
    V05 is a cheapy conditioner that doesn't have the best ingredients in them, hense it being solds for as low as 89 cents.

Try suave or tresumee naturals if you're on a tight budget.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

• flippaciousflippacious Posts: 155Registered Users
    I have this problem with Suave and V05 conditioners. I have tried multiple from each brand. I blamed co-washing in general and for the past two weeks have been doing low-poo every three days or so and just water washing in between. However, I still get the sticky roots feeling after two days without low-pooing (which is about the amount of time it would take if I was co-washing). So now I'm starting to suspect it's my head's fault and not my cleansing? Or maybe another product?

Okay, long story short: you are not alone in this problem. And please post an update if you find something that works for you, I'll be interested in trying it out myself!
    2b/c, high density
    fine, medium porosity, normal elasticity
    loves protein, hates polyquats
    still searching for HGs
  • curleeangelcurleeangel Posts: 53Registered Users
    Some Vo5 conditioners have protein. Could that be it?

Sent from my MB860 using CurlTalk App
    2b/c low porosity, coarse, high density and protein sensitive.
  • LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Posts: 392Registered Users
    I have this problem with Suave and V05 conditioners. I have tried multiple from each brand. I blamed co-washing in general and for the past two weeks have been doing low-poo every three days or so and just water washing in between. However, I still get the sticky roots feeling after two days without low-pooing (which is about the amount of time it would take if I was co-washing). So now I'm starting to suspect it's my head's fault and not my cleansing? Or maybe another product?

Okay, long story short: you are not alone in this problem. And please post an update if you find something that works for you, I'll be interested in trying it out myself!
    +1 for low poos

I get the sticky roots with excessive co washing. I have to low poo once a week. I use Deva NoPoo as my cowash and Kinky Curly Come Clean as my low poo

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list