CurlTalk

Workplace rants

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So there is this guy at my job who always wants to build consensus and feel like he is making friends and influencing ppl. And he keeps pulling me (and others) into his stuff. I HATE this!

He's on the phone talking to the IT guy saying, "I have been having this problem all week. And I'm sure Spiderlashes is having it, too, since we use the same equipment."

No, asshat, I am not having the same problem or any problem and no, we don't use the same equipment!

Or in a mtg, "Spiderlashes, I'm sure you can relate to being one of the few married ppl with young kids in the office."

No, ****head, I can't relate. I haven't been married in four years, my marital status is no one here's business, nor is either of our marital statuses relevent to this conversation.

Or, "Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Spiderlashes, but I think our current state administration has done more to help this situation than any other."

You're wrong!

I hate this crap! Keep my name outta your mouth!
I have been biting my tongue and ignoring these comments so far but I think I will openly disagree w/ him next time.



What's driving you crazy at work?

Comments

  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My biggest pet peeve is that my bosses wife works in the office in her own business. She expects me to do her grunt work, but doesn't pay me. I have put together books for her, faxes, makes copies, do mailers, call her people and insurance companies. She has even had me make hair appointments for her. She feels so self-entitled. She assumes since I'm here and her husband pays me, she can use me too. I'm at my wits end and have already updated my resume and plan to hand it out on Friday. The doc's son is graduating dental school in May. The doc expects me to assist him with his boards. Once he starts working in the office I'm positive I won't be getting paid anymore to handle his work. Some people are unbelievable.:protest:
    From Michael Berg:

    Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    Stupid people asking stupid crap all day long.

    PEOPLE WITH THEIR BABIES LIKE THEIR BABIES CARE ABOUT ANYTHING. omg THE BABY ISN'T EVEN LOOKING, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS.


    People coming in 5 minutes before we close. Stop. So annoying.



    Never under estimate people's dumbness.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    My biggest pet peeve is that my bosses wife works in the office in her own business. She expects me to do her grunt work, but doesn't pay me. I have put together books for her, faxes, makes copies, do mailers, call her people and insurance companies. She has even had me make hair appointments for her. She feels so self-entitled. She assumes since I'm here and her husband pays me, she can use me too. I'm at my wits end and have already updated my resume and plan to hand it out on Friday. The doc's son is graduating dental school in May. The doc expects me to assist him with his boards. Once he starts working in the office I'm positive I won't be getting paid anymore to handle his work. Some people are unbelievable.:protest:

    Ewww. Was this discussed w/ you during the interview?

    Please tell me she is also a dentist and it's like a joint practice?

  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No she isn't a dentist. She is a speech therapist, but mainly works with people with head injuries, dementia, etc and has what she calls a brain gym set up in the office. She also likes to play psychiatrist with her patients and unfortunately me, too, and no this was never discussed with me beforehand. She started her practice in the office 2 years ago and I've been here for 5 years.She and the doc just assumed I would help her. I found out that the last woman working here got roped into helping his wife with a craft business she started. She had her making some of the crafts and never paid her for anything.

    Some days it's hard for me to get the work done for her husband, becuz she is loading me up with her work. I feel very fortunate to have a job in the economy but there are days it's just too much.
    From Michael Berg:

    Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I have a client that I just dislike-there are some reasons workwise but no one wants to read all that! And it takes every freaking bone in my body to be pleasant. It kills me every time I have to speak with this client.
    Central Massachusetts

    One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

    In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    i work hard and am not appreciated. all of us lad techs do. bust our butts constantly. and do not get made overtime.

    the a-holes across the way gets made more, but does much of nothing. and alot of them are truly brain damaged.

    i love my supervisor, but she watches as i do my work all the time. its so annoying. it makes me nervous. i try to ignore her. but then she tries to talk to me and i get distracted and mess up. i have been doing this for 3 years. i know what i am doing. i ask for help once, it doesnt mean i always need it. just with the stuff i'm just learning about.
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users
    Generally all (most) of my workplace frustrations are about my boss, must recently it's my annoyance at this...
    Phone rings "perri, can you come to my office?"
    I go to his office, where he proceeds to ask me a question THAT HE COULD HAVE JUST ASKED ME ON THE PHONE

    Or, shows up in my cube, standing, trying to talk to me when I'm on the phone with a client, when I either put the person on hold or finish up "Perri, did you get the email I just sent you?" ..non work related, about a dog (or a cat, or something else) "read it, it's funny". Most of the time it IS funny but not funny enough to interrupt my work or funny enough to outweigh my annoyance of having him over my shoulder watching me read

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,760Registered Users
    I also feel fortunate to have a job.
    But if things weren't so difficult with the economy I'd had quit years ago.
    I did use to love my job, then I got a new boss and have had a hard time.
    This man is rude, unreasonable, sexist, a bully. I don't handle that well. :sad:
    3a/b, CG mostly.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PerriP wrote: »
    Generally all (most) of my workplace frustrations are about my boss, must recently it's my annoyance at this...
    Phone rings "perri, can you come to my office?"
    I go to his office, where he proceeds to ask me a question THAT HE COULD HAVE JUST ASKED ME ON THE PHONE

    Or, shows up in my cube, standing, trying to talk to me when I'm on the phone with a client, when I either put the person on hold or finish up "Perri, did you get the email I just sent you?" ..non work related, about a dog (or a cat, or something else) "read it, it's funny". Most of the time it IS funny but not funny enough to interrupt my work or funny enough to outweigh my annoyance of having him over my shoulder watching me read

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App

    Almost sounds like he has a thing for you...

  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    I have an overbearing co-worker that annoys me to no end. She is the oldest of all us employees so somehow she seems to think she is in charge and loves telling everyone (even my boss) what to do as if she is the official person who knows all. She also loves to walk around the office acting like she is doing something when really she is doing nothing while things that need to be addressed get put to the side. In addition to her work/not work she gets a million personal calls a day from her husband and adult daughter who lives with her as if the whole world will fall down if she isn't at home (she has a cellphone so I can't understand the need to call the office). She seems to be one of those people who only feels valued when she is needed and will even go to great lengths to make up something to make herself important. On top of everything she is loud and obnoxious either when she is upset or happy (even worse happy actually). I have worked at the office on and off for ten years (she for only five) and know how to keep myself occupied, so when she gives me busy work or tells me what to do, I see red. Her behavior really wears on me and I anticipate one day snapping on her.

    My boss can be a nice guy but is passive aggressive and inconsistent with his rules. It all depends on his mood.
    There is never any incentive to improve or do well nor is there any punishment for slacking off. He holds no value for his employees and doesn't care if we stay or leave. And he never offers a raise and pays us as little as possible (I get paid at least 5 dollars less than other people in my field with my experience) while his wife and kids have every luxury imaginable. He also kind of crosses the line between friend and boss. His jokes and comments are inappropriate at times (his latest "joke" is that I favor the AA male patients).

    Despite my employees (except one) and my boss I love my job. So that and a crappy paycheck are the only things holding me there until I enter nursing school.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

    "I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users
    PerriP wrote: »
    Generally all (most) of my workplace frustrations are about my boss, must recently it's my annoyance at this...
    Phone rings "perri, can you come to my office?"
    I go to his office, where he proceeds to ask me a question THAT HE COULD HAVE JUST ASKED ME ON THE PHONE

    Or, shows up in my cube, standing, trying to talk to me when I'm on the phone with a client, when I either put the person on hold or finish up "Perri, did you get the email I just sent you?" ..non work related, about a dog (or a cat, or something else) "read it, it's funny". Most of the time it IS funny but not funny enough to interrupt my work or funny enough to outweigh my annoyance of having him over my shoulder watching me read

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App

    Almost sounds like he has a thing for you...

    Lol, nope. He's gay, and old, and was a priest for 20 years so does the fatherly thing.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • SurlycurlySurlycurly Posts: 156Registered Users
    Oh I could write a book on this topic!

    I work in an office with only two other people, while our boss is in another location. One co-worker shows up to work at least half an hour late every single day. Both of them blatantly ignore policy and procedure whenever it's something they don't want to do. And the boss basically encourages this behavior by never punishing them and doing things that even he knows is wrong. And we work in a quasi-legal industry (my boss is an attorney) so this is actually people's lives and livelihoods that are being messed with.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    I just have a LOT to do over the next couple of weeks.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users
    maria_i wrote: »
    I also feel fortunate to have a job.
    But if things weren't so difficult with the economy I'd had quit years ago.
    I did use to love my job, then I got a new boss and have had a hard time.
    This man is rude, unreasonable, sexist, a bully. I don't handle that well. :sad:

    Are you certain we don't have the same boss????

    I'm just super tired because of the super massive audit we have next week. They should have hired me back at least a week before they did.
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • lifescoutlifescout Posts: 69Registered Users
    I absolutely love my job and I have a great boss who does not bother me unless he needs me for something. I work for a huge company...thousands of employees...and my department alone has about 100 people on our floor.
    Anyway, my biggest issue, and maybe my ONLY issue is my coworker who will not stop talking...all.day.long. I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to address it and how to tell her that I can't have her talking to me so much. I have so much work to do and I see that she does not, but that doesn't make it ok for her to stand over here and talk, talk, talk everytime she thinks of something to say. And, she thinks of way too many things to say, IMO.
    She has been here 23 years ..Ive been here 9. I think she feels that this entitles her to do what she wants even if that means doing nothing but gossiping all day. And it would be easy to say "Just tell her to shut up!" but I like her as a person, I dont want to offend her and have her upset at me. I still have to work with her every day and she sits in the cubicle in front of me so I can't avoid her.
    This is usually how it goes evey single day:
    I walk in and sit down and start to set up my computer and so on...she immediately rushes over and starts with something like "Omg, I have to tell you what happened with my son last night, he is out of control!". So Ill say something like "Oh, is he?" and because I deal with this soo much, I usually sound completely uninterested. But she will proceed to tell me the entire story. Then that story will lead to another story and another. And If I don't comment she will say "Im serious! Can you believe that? I am so serious!!"
    I have already talked to my boss about this...and he has walked by many times and sees her just standing here talking and talking to me and he will just smile. When I talked to him about it his response was "Well, I dont know what I can possibly say to her. Alot of people socialize here and If I say something to her, she is going to make a big deal about why Im singling her out." Then he said he could talk to her and tell her I talked to him about it cause it bothers me! So he doesn't look like the bad guy!
    I just feel so frustrated and I don't like hearing every detail of her life...or any of the gossip she spreads about people in the office. THAT really irritates me! I dont care about who she thinks is sleeping with who or why she thinks someone was fired or coming to ask me to find out why so and so isn't at work today...I mean, why does she need to know all of this? and why does she need to spread it to everyone else? Get some work done! :angry4:

    Rant over. For now. Thank you.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lifescout wrote: »
    I absolutely love my job and I have a great boss who does not bother me unless he needs me for something. I work for a huge company...thousands of employees...and my department alone has about 100 people on our floor.
    Anyway, my biggest issue, and maybe my ONLY issue is my coworker who will not stop talking...all.day.long. I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to address it and how to tell her that I can't have her talking to me so much. I have so much work to do and I see that she does not, but that doesn't make it ok for her to stand over here and talk, talk, talk everytime she thinks of something to say. And, she thinks of way too many things to say, IMO.
    She has been here 23 years ..Ive been here 9. I think she feels that this entitles her to do what she wants even if that means doing nothing but gossiping all day. And it would be easy to say "Just tell her to shut up!" but I like her as a person, I dont want to offend her and have her upset at me. I still have to work with her every day and she sits in the cubicle in front of me so I can't avoid her.
    This is usually how it goes evey single day:
    I walk in and sit down and start to set up my computer and so on...she immediately rushes over and starts with something like "Omg, I have to tell you what happened with my son last night, he is out of control!". So Ill say something like "Oh, is he?" and because I deal with this soo much, I usually sound completely uninterested. But she will proceed to tell me the entire story. Then that story will lead to another story and another. And If I don't comment she will say "Im serious! Can you believe that? I am so serious!!"
    I have already talked to my boss about this...and he has walked by many times and sees her just standing here talking and talking to me and he will just smile. When I talked to him about it his response was "Well, I dont know what I can possibly say to her. Alot of people socialize here and If I say something to her, she is going to make a big deal about why Im singling her out." Then he said he could talk to her and tell her I talked to him about it cause it bothers me! So he doesn't look like the bad guy!
    I just feel so frustrated and I don't like hearing every detail of her life...or any of the gossip she spreads about people in the office. THAT really irritates me! I dont care about who she thinks is sleeping with who or why she thinks someone was fired or coming to ask me to find out why so and so isn't at work today...I mean, why does she need to know all of this? and why does she need to spread it to everyone else? Get some work done! :angry4:

    Rant over. For now. Thank you.

    ^^^I had a friend just like that. They offered her a 2-year buyout and she retired early. We're still friends but now I can choose when we talk (ie, on the phone).8-)

  • cmb4314cmb4314 Posts: 984Registered Users
    Ugh. I they changed the organizational chart of my department and my supervisor is now someone I don't especially want to work for.

    I am really, really bummed about this.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CurlTalk App
  • lifescoutlifescout Posts: 69Registered Users
    lifescout wrote: »
    I absolutely love my job and I have a great boss who does not bother me unless he needs me for something. I work for a huge company...thousands of employees...and my department alone has about 100 people on our floor.
    Anyway, my biggest issue, and maybe my ONLY issue is my coworker who will not stop talking...all.day.long. I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to address it and how to tell her that I can't have her talking to me so much. I have so much work to do and I see that she does not, but that doesn't make it ok for her to stand over here and talk, talk, talk everytime she thinks of something to say. And, she thinks of way too many things to say, IMO.
    She has been here 23 years ..Ive been here 9. I think she feels that this entitles her to do what she wants even if that means doing nothing but gossiping all day. And it would be easy to say "Just tell her to shut up!" but I like her as a person, I dont want to offend her and have her upset at me. I still have to work with her every day and she sits in the cubicle in front of me so I can't avoid her.
    This is usually how it goes evey single day:
    I walk in and sit down and start to set up my computer and so on...she immediately rushes over and starts with something like "Omg, I have to tell you what happened with my son last night, he is out of control!". So Ill say something like "Oh, is he?" and because I deal with this soo much, I usually sound completely uninterested. But she will proceed to tell me the entire story. Then that story will lead to another story and another. And If I don't comment she will say "Im serious! Can you believe that? I am so serious!!"
    I have already talked to my boss about this...and he has walked by many times and sees her just standing here talking and talking to me and he will just smile. When I talked to him about it his response was "Well, I dont know what I can possibly say to her. Alot of people socialize here and If I say something to her, she is going to make a big deal about why Im singling her out." Then he said he could talk to her and tell her I talked to him about it cause it bothers me! So he doesn't look like the bad guy!
    I just feel so frustrated and I don't like hearing every detail of her life...or any of the gossip she spreads about people in the office. THAT really irritates me! I dont care about who she thinks is sleeping with who or why she thinks someone was fired or coming to ask me to find out why so and so isn't at work today...I mean, why does she need to know all of this? and why does she need to spread it to everyone else? Get some work done! :angry4:

    Rant over. For now. Thank you.

    ^^^I had a friend just like that. They offered her a 2-year buyout and she retired early. We're still friends but now I can choose when we talk (ie, on the phone).8-)

    My coworker has 2 years to go before she can retire...and as much as I like her as a person...I am counting down the days...! lol
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I'm being micromanaged. i'm not use to this. i'm use to be given a task and trusted to get it done by the deadline. rushing around like a chicken with my head cut off and stressful.
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    I've mentioned it before but I can't stand my boss. Ever since he threw a temper tantrum I've been so on edge around him. Especially because a lot of the time it's just me and him in the office.

    And most of his conversations are just his hero stories or name dropping. Like I don't care that you know so and so. Or that you got lunch with so and so. Or that all these fanous people had a party upstairs. You obvs weren't invited, why are you talking about it? Is there anything interesting about you that doesn't involve someone who may or may not be somebody?

    And ofc he wears Affliction. Ugh.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    When I started my job, we were able to bring our kiddos to the office because our dept. was in an isolated corner of the building. Well, they moved us and now of course people have complained about kids being in the office (and I do understand...even when little ones are trying to be quiet, they're loud!). So now we can't bring them in for our meetings and I have no sitter. I can teleconference into the meetings, but I liked going in and wearing business clothes, even if it was only twice a month. It's not the end of the world, I guess. It was nice while it lasted. :(
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas


    My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Where do I start? :p

    "And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

    “My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I am a freelancer and one of my clients has me on retainer. They also, unlike all my other clients, do tax withholding on my pay. So they sort of think of me as an employee, I guess. I only work for them 8-10 hours a week, max. There are no benefits with such an arrangement, of course.

    I don’t think of myself as an employee at all. To me, they are a client. For a long time, they were trying to get me to work on-site. A lot of clients would prefer this, but it’s unrealistic with my workload. I need to be able to juggle tasks between multiple clients and in order to do that, I have to have the freedom to work on what’s hot right now from my own workspace, on my own computer. It forces people to set schedules and be organized in handing off work to me, which works in my favor and keeps project creep at bay. I also bill hourly. All of this results in: I don’t sit in a lot of pointless meetings or get set tasks that don’t match my skill set. Works for me!

    This particular client that thinks of me as an employee gets a significant price break from me on my hourly rate because they have me on retainer. They are also not very well organized in their delegation of tasks. As a result, I DO often get caught up doing things for them that really aren’t my area at all. They give me a lot of things to do for which I am overqualified. I put up with it because their work gives me guaranteed income, which as a freelancer, is very nice to have. I don’t have to worry about my bills, they are always covered.

    Right now I am covering for someone on maternity leave from this place and reluctantly agreed to work on-site for part of one day a week. EVERY time I’m in the office, the executive director makes some sort of passive-aggressive remark, like “what an unexpected surprise” it is to see me (even though I keep really regular hours during this leave coverage) and how nice it is to see me in person, as I was “starting to just become an email address” to them.

    While I generally like her and think she was a good addition to this organization, I really, really hate it when she says things like this. It sets my teeth on edge.

    We just learned the person I am covering for is not coming back from her leave as planned. My direct supervisor is dropping hints they’d like me to take on even more hours and do part of this person’s job.

    What they don’t yet know is I was planning to talk to them about changing our arrangement even before this person went on leave. I have two other clients now that use me consistently and pay me my full rate. I don’t feel as vulnerable as I did before when I took this client on. Also, if I do more work at my full rate, my income will improve significantly.

    So I want to become a consultant to them, just like I am with everyone else I work for. I want them to hire me on per-project basis and I want to charge them a market rate so they don’t ask me to do random tasks any one of their 3 full-time office employees could do.
  • wanderlustwanderlust Posts: 650Registered Users
    I have a coworker that hoards work and information and if I try to step in and help, or if she perceives that I am trying to "outshine" her, she tries to bully me into backing down.

    I have spoken with my boss about this, and although she acknowledges my coworker's bad behavior, she won't do anything about it. I'm not sure what she can do because it is clear that this lady isn't going to change.

    This has completely sapped any enthusiasm I had for the job and i'm considering moving on.
    Formerly ladyjag123
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    While I feel fortunate to have a supportive, hands-off boss now, I so very much relate to, and sympathize with, all of you dealing with terrible, immature, micro-managing bosses. I have SO been there, and it really just sucks the life out of you.
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    When I started my job, we were able to bring our kiddos to the office because our dept. was in an isolated corner of the building. Well, they moved us and now of course people have complained about kids being in the office (and I do understand...even when little ones are trying to be quiet, they're loud!). So now we can't bring them in for our meetings and I have no sitter. I can teleconference into the meetings, but I liked going in and wearing business clothes, even if it was only twice a month. It's not the end of the world, I guess. It was nice while it lasted. :(

    Honestly, it is so very distracting when my co-workers bring their kids into our office. So I can see why this policy was revised. But, I can also see your conundrum. Isn't it possible to have somebody watch your kids twice a month so you can attend the meetings in person?
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I am a freelancer and one of my clients has me on retainer. They also, unlike all my other clients, do tax withholding on my pay. So they sort of think of me as an employee, I guess. I only work for them 8-10 hours a week, max. There are no benefits with such an arrangement, of course.

    I don’t think of myself as an employee at all. To me, they are a client. For a long time, they were trying to get me to work on-site. A lot of clients would prefer this, but it’s unrealistic with my workload. I need to be able to juggle tasks between multiple clients and in order to do that, I have to have the freedom to work on what’s hot right now from my own workspace, on my own computer. It forces people to set schedules and be organized in handing off work to me, which works in my favor and keeps project creep at bay. I also bill hourly. All of this results in: I don’t sit in a lot of pointless meetings or get set tasks that don’t match my skill set. Works for me!

    This particular client that thinks of me as an employee gets a significant price break from me on my hourly rate because they have me on retainer. They are also not very well organized in their delegation of tasks. As a result, I DO often get caught up doing things for them that really aren’t my area at all. They give me a lot of things to do for which I am overqualified. I put up with it because their work gives me guaranteed income, which as a freelancer, is very nice to have. I don’t have to worry about my bills, they are always covered.

    Right now I am covering for someone on maternity leave from this place and reluctantly agreed to work on-site for part of one day a week. EVERY time I’m in the office, the executive director makes some sort of passive-aggressive remark, like “what an unexpected surprise” it is to see me (even though I keep really regular hours during this leave coverage) and how nice it is to see me in person, as I was “starting to just become an email address” to them.

    While I generally like her and think she was a good addition to this organization, I really, really hate it when she says things like this. It sets my teeth on edge.

    We just learned the person I am covering for is not coming back from her leave as planned. My direct supervisor is dropping hints they’d like me to take on even more hours and do part of this person’s job.

    What they don’t yet know is I was planning to talk to them about changing our arrangement even before this person went on leave. I have two other clients now that use me consistently and pay me my full rate. I don’t feel as vulnerable as I did before when I took this client on. Also, if I do more work at my full rate, my income will improve significantly.

    So I want to become a consultant to them, just like I am with everyone else I work for. I want them to hire me on per-project basis and I want to charge them a market rate so they don’t ask me to do random tasks any one of their 3 full-time office employees could do.

    Your career sounds exciting and rewarding! Working from home, bypassing meetings, contracting w/ multiple clients!

    Sounds like a good kind of problem as you have the upper hand now.

  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    LAwoman wrote: »
    While I feel fortunate to have a supportive, hands-off boss now, I so very much relate to, and sympathize with, all of you dealing with terrible, immature, micro-managing bosses. I have SO been there, and it really just sucks the life out of you.
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    When I started my job, we were able to bring our kiddos to the office because our dept. was in an isolated corner of the building. Well, they moved us and now of course people have complained about kids being in the office (and I do understand...even when little ones are trying to be quiet, they're loud!). So now we can't bring them in for our meetings and I have no sitter. I can teleconference into the meetings, but I liked going in and wearing business clothes, even if it was only twice a month. It's not the end of the world, I guess. It was nice while it lasted. :(

    Honestly, it is so very distracting when my co-workers bring their kids into our office. So I can see why this policy was revised. But, I can also see your conundrum. Isn't it possible to have somebody watch your kids twice a month so you can attend the meetings in person?
    I don't have a sitter. All of my friends are back to work; Davin is the youngest in our particular group, so I'm the last of the WAHMs. I don't feel comfortable finding a sitter online. It just seems scary to me to entrust my little guy to someone I don't know, even if they have good references.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas


    My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie