CurlTalk

Irish oatmeal/steel cut oats

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Does anyone eat this? I keep hearing celebrities say it's their breakfast of choice for keeping their weight down.

I tried it for the first time this morning (cooked with water in the microwave for 10 mins) with sliced raw almonds and dried cranberries on top.

It wasn't terrible but it def had that wet cardboard taste.

Other than loading lots of brown sugar on it, how can I make it better?

Comments

• theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    i like oats.

here's ihow i usually make it:

I put the oats in a dry pot to get them a toasty flavor. after they brown a bit. i add the water and let it cook wtih a vinalla bean. i then add some milk, honey, and what ever else i like. sometimes some fruits, cinammon, ect. what ever you like in oatmeal i would add. peaches and cream is one of my fav mixes. instead on milk i add cream. oh and i forgot to mention butter. i add butter. and a dash of salt.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    I make it in my crockpot so it's nice and hot in the morning. Add a pinch of salt and make with milk for a creamier texture.
    I never ate oats growing up so it's been an acquired taste. I add honey or real maple syrup. Have used brown sugar before. Fruit of your choice.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Anyway, oats benefit from toasting. So, starting them in butter or oil and letting them toast improves flavor. The other thing is that oats need salt. Unless you're making them savory it's a really small amount, but it still makes a difference.
    I prefer cooking oats in water and finishing with cream (or milk, but I do love a splash of cream) rather than cooking them in milk from the beginning. I like the fresh dairy flavor and I find it looks more appealing.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    I make them in the microwave with milk instead of water and then mix in a few spoonfuls of yogurt. It's delicious.
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    I tried them, Spidey, and felt the same way even though I normally love oatmeal.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Saria wrote: »

Thank you!

Trying to nuke them at work is not the business! They're still tough and there's this scummy film on top that you have to mix in. Not to mention that gross "communical microwave" smell.

Gotta try that overnight method.

Where's a good commercial source for almond and apple butter?

• theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    Anyway, oats benefit from toasting. So, starting them in butter or oil and letting them toast improves flavor. The other thing is that oats need salt. Unless you're making them savory it's a really small amount, but it still makes a difference.
    I prefer cooking oats in water and finishing with cream (or milk, but I do love a splash of cream) rather than cooking them in milk from the beginning. I like the fresh dairy flavor and I find it looks more appealing.

So i been doing it right!!! I'm so proud!

I just like the toasted flavor of the oats. taste better and needs less stuff added to give in flavor imo.
    I was wondering how you managed to cook steel cut oats in ten minutes! Even with the microwave I can't imagine they would have been tender and creamy enough.
    And yeah, there's usually a bit of scum when you cook them.

You can buy those at any health food store.
    Almond butter is just almonds and a push of a button on your food processor (or in my case the coffee grinder), though.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    I tried them, Spidey, and felt the same way even though I normally love oatmeal.

I haven't eaten oatmeal since I was in the single digits, so I don't even know what it's supposed to taste like. But I have been making the instant Quaker Oats crap for my kids for years.:pukel:

Hmmm, I have to say, even tho it didn't taste like much (on this, my first attempt), it's is keeping me full longer than my usual breakfast of Starbucks iced coffee w/ heavy cream.:cheers:

I was wondering how you managed to cook steel cut oats in ten minutes! Even with the microwave I can't imagine they would have been tender and creamy enough.
    And yeah, there's usually a bit of scum when you cook them.

You can buy those at any health food store.
    Almond butter is just almonds and a push of a button on your food processor (or in my case the coffee grinder), though.

Yeah, they were a bit chewy...but that's what the directions on the back said to do (if I chose not to do the stovetop method). But like I said above, to TNB, I haven't eaten oatmeal in about 30 years so I really don't know what I'm aiming at. Just trying to eat healthier.

When I make the instant Quaker Oats for my son, I sometimes put an egg white in it. And that makes that a little creamier.

But almond butter and a drizzle of cream sounds better.

• VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users
    I looove steel cut oats. I cook a double batch, then put in fridge so we can take out what we want each a.m. to warm in microwave. This is how I do it:

2 c. steel-cut oats
    3 tbs. butter
    2 tbs. flax seed or wheat germ, optional
    1 tsp. salt

Toast oats, flax seed/wheat germ in butter until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add salt.
    Then add all the following ingredients:

5 ½ c. very hot/boiling water (be careful when you add this as it will really steam up - keep hands and face out of the way)
    1 c. almond milk
    1½ c. apple juice
    6 tbs. brown sugar
    2 tbs. honey
    cinnamon
    vanilla
    a little more salt

Cook, loosely covered, at a simmer for about 25 min. or until oats are done and are your desired consistency. Mine are still pretty loose when I’m finished, but I take them off the heat and let them sit for a while, and they thicken up.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I love oatmeal and cook either in the crockpot or the fab method that Saria posted.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    Every morning I have oatmeal with dried cranberries.

Steel cut oats are good. Definitely have to cook before you even think about a microwave. Instant oatmeal is evil.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • LayaliLayali Posts: 561Registered Users
    I like to use steel cut oats for swiss oatmeal. Basically, you cook the oats for 8-10 minutes (not supposed to be tender), let cool, then combine with equal parts milk and greek yoghurt (you can add honey and cinnamon at this point). Place in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, take it out and add whatever toppings you like. I like to add apples, sliced almonds, and dried cranberries.

This is a delicious, very filling cold cereal and a nice alternative to hot oatmeal!
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
  • tonsofcurlztonsofcurlz Posts: 323Registered Users
    I cook steel cut oats overnight in the crockpot using a bain marie method. It's significantly easier to clean the glass jar than to soak/scrub the crock. Try it! I highly recommend it with the honey or agave and almond butter. Here's the link:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ffood52.com%2Frecipes%2F3062-overnight-steel-cut-oats-with-almond-butter-honey" class="Popup
    3b, fine texture, low to normal porosity
    Low Poos:
    MOP C Hydrating, JC HCC, Ion Swimmer's Poo
    Condish: GVP Balm, Kenra, Tigi Oatmeal/Honey, DE Coconut
    Leave-In: BWC, Abba Gentle, KBB Nectar, GFTN
    Stylers: CJ AF/CIAB, SS CEJ/FHG, QCCC, Komaza Puddings, EW SAJ or Alba Soft Curl w/KKSS, Kenra, Homemade FSG, AOMM, CK/QB HTSG

Save $5 off your first order at /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iherb.com" class="Popup. Use discount code: SOF540.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Layali wrote: »
    I like to use steel cut oats for swiss oatmeal. Basically, you cook the oats for 8-10 minutes (not supposed to be tender), let cool, then combine with equal parts milk and greek yoghurt (you can add honey and cinnamon at this point). Place in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, take it out and add whatever toppings you like. I like to add apples, sliced almonds, and dried cranberries.

This is a delicious, very filling cold cereal and a nice alternative to hot oatmeal!

Very interesting. Need to try this.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    Layali wrote: »

I like it that way too. The recipe I found to make it this way was called Bircher Muesli. But I only make it this way in the summer.

Link to where I first found a recipe for it. She used regular oats.

http://www.wearenotmartha.com/2012/02/bircher-muesli/
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Spidey, Panera Bread (do you have one near you?) sells SC oats now. Maybe you could try them there first. Then if you decide to make them at home, you'll have a better idea of the taste and texture they should be.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Spidey, Panera Bread (do you have one near you?) sells SC oats now. Maybe you could try them there first. Then if you decide to make them at home, you'll have a better idea of the taste and texture they should be.

Panera...that place will be the destruction of me!

But now I am curious to try Panera's bc I made a pot of them last night and stuck my foot in it!:blob2:

I toasted them in butter, added salt, added water, brought to a boil, simmered for 25 mins, added brown sugar and dried cranberries. Let sit overnight. Nuked with a lil more water and tiny bit of cream. Topped with flaxmeal and sliced almonds.

Really good! The texture reminds me of couscous. I see a lot of potential.

Now I gotta see if Panera's is better than mine! :blackeye:

• YoshimiYoshimi Posts: 237Registered Users
    I like to use coaches oats, they're like steel cut but cook quicker. I've always eaten oats (or porridge as we call it in the UK) and I generally cook it in water then add milk and either honey or jelly. It's been a lifesaver while I'm pregnant as its the only breakfast that doesn't make me feel like I'm starving to death by 10am. Sliced apple, raisin and cinnamon, or just with blueberries works well too.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App
    2C, Medium thickness, Low posity
    Recovering from a year of keratin and bleach with CG

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

Weekly gelatin protien treatments.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    I like these Scottish-style oats, though I just buy them locally at Ingle's or WF. I've always hated oatmeal but made myself try something different than the regular old Quaker rolled oats or instant oats, and I actually like them. Instant oats, especially, just remind of wallpaper paste :sad3:

These're very good toasted (or not) and slow-cooked on stove, but not enough better that I usually bother - I'm always running late. I don't remember how the box actually says to cook them, but I put about a cup in a large cereal bowl with just water and salt and cook at 70% in the microwave for about 5 minutes - this usually keeps them from cooking over, but I still put a plate or at least paper towel under the bowl just in case. They're still quite chewy, but that's what I like about them.

I always add a little stevia or honey, a good dash of cinnamon, and another slight dash of salt. If I have it and am in the mood, I might add a smidge of butter and/or milk or almond milk, a few nuts, maybe some chopped apple - whatever I have on hand and strikes my fancy. By the time I do that, they've thickened a bit and are creamy yet chewy. I sometimes have them like this for dessert in the evening to keep me from getting into something far worse.

Also eat them raw sometimes as meusli.

Highly recommend! I've tried a couple brands of Irish oats, but I like these better. Haven't tried steel-cut oats per se, I don't think, though I don't know that these aren't, LOL!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    A beaten egg whisked into the simmering oatmeal just before serving will turn it into a wonderful custard consistency. Not eggy at all.

Lately, I've been making my oats as "summer porridge"...basically adding the raw oats to yogurt and milk and fruit and put in the fridge overnight to absorb the liquid. It's eaten cold...no cooking required. Delicious. I add chia seeds to it to boost it's protein level.

I use groats, not oats. Groats are what rolled or cut oats are before they are rolled or cut. They're basically right off the plant with no processing. More fiber.
    I've never noticed groats in the store, even in the healthfood section. Where do you get them?

I do the summer porridge thing, too, though I didn't know to call it that, LOL. Have never tried the egg thing, though - sounds good! And a good way to easily get in some more protein.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    WurlyLox wrote: »
    I've never noticed groats in the store, even in the healthfood section. Where do you get them?

I do the summer porridge thing, too, though I didn't know to call it that, LOL. Have never tried the egg thing, though - sounds good! And a good way to easily get in some more protein.

I get groats in certain health food stores, at the farmers' market, and currently there is a co-op near my apartment that sells them.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I have an independant "Whole Foods" store near me that has a whole aisle of bag-your-own grains/nuts/seeds. They have oat and wheat groats...very cheap.
    I have an independant "Whole Foods" store near me that has a whole aisle of bag-your-own grains/nuts/seeds. They have oat and wheat groats...very cheap.

Sounds like the co-op here. Such a great place!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Where's Thelio? :tongue2: I scraped and boiled a vanilla bean in last night's batch and it totally tastes weird now. And I'm waving my fist at whoever suggested maple syrup, too! Or maybe my maple syrup was rancid? grrrrrrr Never mind. It's prly my fault; I got heavy handed w/ the dried fruit.

Oh well, it's only $2.50/box so I can try again tonight :)

Tonight will involve cinnamon and nutmeg. (hmmm do I know what cardamom tastes like?)

Now I want to make oatmeal raisin cookies!:sunny:

Where's Thelio? :tongue2: I scraped and boiled a vanilla bean in last night's batch and it totally tastes weird now. And I'm waving my fist at whoever suggested maple syrup, too! Or maybe my maple syrup was rancid? grrrrrrr Never mind. It's prly my fault; I got heavy handed w/ the dried fruit.

Oh well, it's only $2.50/box so I can try again tonight :)

Tonight will involve cinnamon and nutmeg. (hmmm do I know what cardamom tastes like?)

Now I want to make oatmeal raisin cookies!:sunny:

You'd probably need just a quarter to at most half a vanilla bean for a batch.
    One of my favorite batches of oats was topped with a vanilla bean, pecan, maple and bourbon butter I mixed up.

I love cardamom and it's great with citrus and ginger in particular. I make a rhubarb compote spiced with it that I've used with oats and with yogurt.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Will have to keep my eyes open for both oats groats and wheat groats . . . mairzy doats and dozy doats, la, la, la, la :laughing2:

www.fotki.com/auntnett