CurlTalk

what kind of protein if any - should I use?

MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
on my coarse, low porousity hair? A lot of conditioners have keratin, silk protein, etc, should I avoid them?

Comments

• HootenannyHootenanny Posts: 300Registered Users
    I have medium/coarse, very low porosity hair, and my hair loves Colorful Neutral Protein Filler. I just mix a little with some water in a spray bottle, spritz it on clean, damp hair, and put a plastic cap over my hair for about half an hour, then deep condition. Works great!
    :cat: Medium/coarse, low porosity, dense, mix of 3s :cat:
    CG (again) since Nov. 2012

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention, Elucence MBC, KC Come Clean
    Condish: Giovanni DL, Cure Care, Ion Treatment, GVP Balm, AOHR
    Protein: AOGPB, CNPF, SSRPT
    Stylers: KCCC, SM Souffle, AOMM, SS CEJ, JCRR, JCCC

:cat: Trying out steaming! :cat:
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    My picky hair really likes keratin in products. My hair also seems to tolerate protein in styling products more than conditioners.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• Aqua_LilyAqua_Lily Posts: 557Registered Users
    I'm fine haired but... I've heard that most people, even protein sensitive people, can tolerate keratin and silk amino acids.

And I also hear a lot of people have problems with wheat protein.

I guess you should just expiriment...
    4-2.png
    Current length: tailbone
    Goal length: mid-thigh (wet)
    3A/2C M iii med por, high elast

HGs:
    Clarify: Nivea
    Lo-poo: Nature's Gate
    CW: Elvive Volume Collagen
    RO: EO Keratin, Desert Essence Raspberry

LI: Elvive volume collagen, KCKT
    Seal: Grapeseed oil
    Gel: Studioline

PT: EO Keratin co
    DT: RO+oils
    Hairgrowth stim.: JBCO+EVCO

www.iherb.com 5-10$ discount code:
    VHT541 Many natural hair products! :D
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hootenany, what is Colorful Neutral Protein Filler?
  • RizosMioRizosMio Posts: 141Registered Users
    Coarse hair and low-po? Definitely stay away from any hydrolyzed protein. I have the same hair properties and my conditioner has wheat protein and wheat amino acids towards the end of the list.
    What about keratin and silk amino acids?
    They're milder than hydrolyzed, try them if you're curious. I personally do not use any kind of protein nor protein acting ingredients (no matter how mild) if it's in the first 5 ingredients. Anything else (that isn't hydrolyzed) and is lower than top 5 I would be willing to try.
    What is "hydrolyzed" and how does that effect protein sensitivity?
  • HootenannyHootenanny Posts: 300Registered Users
    Myrna wrote: »
    Hootenany, what is Colorful Neutral Protein Filler?

It's a pure liquid protein you can buy at Sally's or online. It has a mix of different proteins in it, plus aloe and hops. Here are the ingredients:

Aqua, Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (and) Wheat Oligosaccharides, Keratin Amino Acids, Aloe Barbadensis, Humullus Lupulus Urfica Dioica 1 3 Bix(Hydroxymethyl)5, 5 Dimethylimidazolidine 2 4Dione Methyl ester, 4 Hydrozxybenzoic Acid Tetrasodium Edta, Polysorbate 20, Parfum

I like it because it's easy to apply and, for low porosity hair at least, it can be made milder or more intense depending on how long you leave it on and whether or not you use heat.

"Hydrolyzed" makes a protein more easily absorbable by the hair. Yes, it means that it can be a more intense protein treatment (depending on application time/method), but it also means that low porosity hair will be able to absorb it. I've found that other protein treatments simply have no effect on my hair because they cannot enter the shaft. (I also recommend that you ask Kathymack about this: she uses a lot of proteins and has low porosity hair [although fine].)

Good luck in your search! :)
    :cat: Medium/coarse, low porosity, dense, mix of 3s :cat:
    CG (again) since Nov. 2012

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention, Elucence MBC, KC Come Clean
    Condish: Giovanni DL, Cure Care, Ion Treatment, GVP Balm, AOHR
    Protein: AOGPB, CNPF, SSRPT
    Stylers: KCCC, SM Souffle, AOMM, SS CEJ, JCRR, JCCC

:cat: Trying out steaming! :cat:
    Myrna wrote: »
    What is "hydrolyzed" and how does that effect protein sensitivity?
    Basically, hydrolyzed protein is broken up into tiny molecules that can penetrate the hair easily. This kind of protein is the most effective for those looking for strength. Protein like collage, keratin and wheat are way too big to pass through the cuticles. Amino acids are also way too small to be significant, so the perfect size for effectiveness is hydrolyzed.

We tend to just see protein and think it'll be effective (whether we're looking for it or running from it) but in reality the type of protein and it's placement on the list is everything. If a large protein is somewhere in the middle towards the end of the list it almost always acts as a humectant. I look at the first 5-6 ingredients (depending on the size of the list) and try to judge accordingly.
    Thanks, that is very helpful and makes sense, Rizos.
  • lucyprimroselucyprimrose Posts: 166Registered Users
    All About Different Types of Proteins in Hair Products

The link isn't really about what is best for your specific hair properties, but it is helpful and might help you work out what to try. I was glad to find it because I hadn't found much about the effects of different proteins.
    UK based wavy :hello2:

Mostly waves, but curls and straight bits too!
    Fine to medium, high porosity, medium density, very low elasticity
    Highlights damage (growing it out), seems to like protein and need lots of moisture.

Cleanse - CJDF, trying out low poos ; Co wash- Uk chemist brands, Urtekram Rose or Aloe, Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse; RO - varies, Tigi Moisture Maniac, Desert Essence Coconut ; Leave in - Keracare natural textures; Sealant - argan oil
    Trying out new things, still looking.