Help with a wash (style) and go

ricotdorothyricotdorothy Registered Users Posts: 436
Alright ladies,

It has taken a lot of time and thought for me to post this. But, I was wondering what you guys may think. For a long time I believed that I did not have the hair texture to successfully do a wash and go ( without a detangling nightmare later). So far I have learned that it is very important to be thorough in the application of your leave in and styling product. There is just one thing that still frightens me a bit, using gel. I had very bad experiences with using gel when I tried using a flax seed gel mix I made at home and using shea moisture's curl souffle. It seemed like gel wasn't for me because my hair would harden. Then it would shrink up, then it would be a tangled mess and I would hear my hair pop if I even tried to rearrange it. I used these gels at the time to set twists and then I undid them before they full dried, when my hair did dry, it wasnt pretty. Cut to a little while ago, I was playing with my friend's ecostyler on a small section of damp hair with a leave in already applied, and it seemed to work out great? I am still scared to do my entire head that way so I had a few questions. How do you detangle afterwards? Is it terribly difficult, worse than detangling a shrunken afro? Does thorough product coverage make a big difference? How do I avoid tangling and brittleness? Is the snap crackle pop factor avoidable? If this helps my hair is 4a/b with a discernible curl pattern. I kind of wanted to try something new, but this style has always given my pause. I have not done it since I had a twa and back then it really was a wash and :cya: go.

ETA: Also, any thought on what went wrong the last time would be much appreciated. I would like to see where my mistake(s) may have been.
[FONT=&quot]
SL
~APL~BSB~BSL~MBL~[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WL [/FONT]

You never stop learning... :color:

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    Well i dont know where to really start.

Hair type doesnt have anything to do with wearing the WnG style, the only difference is in how the hair will LOOK once you finish styling and drying.

This isnt directed at you but to those in general. A WnG for me is washing my hair and styling it to leave my hair curly.

Now the first factor in me doing a WnG is, the level of moisture in my hair. After I have been protective styling for weeks on end, when I take my hair down , I cant do a WnG. My moisture and protein is out of balance. My hair will be tangled and not as curly/moisturized as normal.

I find that it is key for my hair to be as moisturized as possible because it cuts down on tangles and allows my STYLER , which is usually gel, to glide down my hair strands easier.

So I do everything in sections, and the hair has to be moist and or wet depending on what styler Im using.

You said
    It seemed like gel wasn't for me because my hair would harden. Then it would shrink up, then it would be a tangled mess and I would hear my hair pop if I even tried to rearrange it.

That raised my eyes a little because after smoothing in your leave in and styler your hair should be molded/shingled/raked, If your hair is hardened and tangled, then something is wrong. Either you didnt detangle it, or whatever you used as a leave in or gel wasnt smoothed into the hair right

How do you detangle afterwards
    In four sections, I apply oil and conditioner, then let it sit until it soaks in.
    Is it terribly difficult, worse than detangling a shrunken afro?
    Nope, because I have used something to untangle it

Does thorough product coverage make a big difference? How do I avoid tangling and brittleness? Is the snap crackle pop factor avoidable?

Yes , making sure your hair is completely coverage is essential. I avoid tangles by section styling and letting the hair dry before touching it. At bed time I put it in sections again (mini pineapples) and smooth a leave in to keep the hair supple. your hair should not snap and crackle, that is a key thats its dry. Spray a leave in on your hair and let it sit a little before moving the hair if you need to rearrange it

Did you just use eco styler the first time you tried it? Eco styler is the hardest gel I know. The only way I can get it to work for me is putting a creamy styler or curl activator gel under it.

Ask away with more questions, Im sure others will chime in
  • mycurlytressesmycurlytresses Registered Users Posts: 275
    Check out Naptural85 on YouTube. She has tons of videos that are very informative.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using CurlTalk App
    3C, CG Method, Low porosity, Low density, Medium Width

event.png

:afro:
  • ricotdorothyricotdorothy Registered Users Posts: 436
    Well i dont know where to really start.

Hair type doesnt have anything to do with wearing the WnG style, the only difference is in how the hair will LOOK once you finish styling and drying.

This isnt directed at you but to those in general. A WnG for me is washing my hair and styling it to leave my hair curly.

Now the first factor in me doing a WnG is, the level of moisture in my hair. After I have been protective styling for weeks on end, when I take my hair down , I cant do a WnG. My moisture and protein is out of balance. My hair will be tangled and not as curly/moisturized as normal.

I find that it is key for my hair to be as moisturized as possible because it cuts down on tangles and allows my STYLER , which is usually gel, to glide down my hair strands easier.

So I do everything in sections, and the hair has to be moist and or wet depending on what styler Im using.

You said
    It seemed like gel wasn't for me because my hair would harden. Then it would shrink up, then it would be a tangled mess and I would hear my hair pop if I even tried to rearrange it.

That raised my eyes a little because after smoothing in your leave in and styler your hair should be molded/shingled/raked, If your hair is hardened and tangled, then something is wrong. Either you didnt detangle it, or whatever you used as a leave in or gel wasnt smoothed into the hair right

How do you detangle afterwards
    In four sections, I apply oil and conditioner, then let it sit until it soaks in.
    Is it terribly difficult, worse than detangling a shrunken afro?
    Nope, because I have used something to untangle it

Does thorough product coverage make a big difference? How do I avoid tangling and brittleness? Is the snap crackle pop factor avoidable?

Yes , making sure your hair is completely coverage is essential. I avoid tangles by section styling and letting the hair dry before touching it. At bed time I put it in sections again (mini pineapples) and smooth a leave in to keep the hair supple. your hair should not snap and crackle, that is a key thats its dry. Spray a leave in on your hair and let it sit a little before moving the hair if you need to rearrange it

Did you just use eco styler the first time you tried it? Eco styler is the hardest gel I know. The only way I can get it to work for me is putting a creamy styler or curl activator gel under it.

Ask away with more questions, Im sure others will chime in

The first time I used gel it was homemade flax seed gel. It was also the first time I had ever tried making the recipe. When I went to tell my two friends about my experience (they are both natural), they responded saying they had never had good experiences with gel either. I assumed at the time that my hair just was not suited to gel in general. Although now that I think about that is kind of like finding a conditioner to be a bit drying and then assuming that conditioner in general is just not for you. I really appreciate your insight. I am pretty sure I did not smooth in the gel right. My leave in at the time was a homemade shea butter mix which may have also presented problems My hair was wet but the butter was solid. The butter itself may not have distributed properly let alone the gel. You mentioned that you do not do wash and go's after protective styling for weeks on end. That is very interesting. I will keep that in mind. One other question that comes to mind is what gels are good in cold weather?
    [FONT=&quot]
    SL

My hair takes on any shape really easy, So the longer its stretched in a protective style, the straighter it is, plus the hair isnt really hydrated for me. * kinky twists.senegalese twists/weaves *. My scalp is great but the hair strands, nope.

So I usually have to deep condition back to back three weeks. My hair thrives on moisture and the more moisture I retain the easier my WnG is.

I dont usually WNG a lot in the winter because most of my gels contain a humectant. Im lazy about sealing and NJ weather is harsh. Now when I do use gel in the winter I use KCCC , no problems at all. Some folks don't have an issue though so it would depend on your hair,

Yeah shea butter that's solid on hair, then followed by gel.. that sounds umm a tad bit hard for you there lol.

Where are you at again?
    My hair takes on any shape really easy, So the longer its stretched in a protective style, the straighter it is, plus the hair isnt really hydrated for me. * kinky twists.senegalese twists/weaves *. My scalp is great but the hair strands, nope.

So I usually have to deep condition back to back three weeks. My hair thrives on moisture and the more moisture I retain the easier my WnG is.

I dont usually WNG a lot in the winter because most of my gels contain a humectant. Im lazy about sealing and NJ weather is harsh. Now when I do use gel in the winter I use KCCC , no problems at all. Some folks don't have an issue though so it would depend on your hair,

Yeah shea butter that's solid on hair, then followed by gel.. that sounds umm a tad bit hard for you there lol.

Where are you at again?

I am in New York City. For the past three weeks I have been keeping my hair in chunky twists that are twisted or pinned into an up do. Lately, though I have been getting bored but unwilling to take it back to something like mini twists or mini braids (very labor intensive).

I damp bunned my hair a month ago and while it looked great the untangling took forever and I had to trim off quite a few single strand knots. The reason I tried to damp bun my hair was because I wanted to see if I can skip the stretching my process when I style.

I always feel as if wash day becomes a 2 day process. One day to pre condition, wash+condition, deep condition, moisturize then set in a stretching style. Then the next day I have to style it for the week. Lately I have just been trying to find creative ways to wear the twists I wash and condition my hair in. I have gotten tired of them though. Braid outs and twist outs on my hair have to be reset nightly. That is why a wash and go looked appealing. Wash it, condition it, style it, pile it on top of my head and that's all folks! lol :headbang:

I understand now that a few simple changes in my regimen may help me deal with my hair in its loose state with a bit more ease. I am very used to dealing with my hair in segments. But if I get the hang of distributing product for instance, whether it is a moisturizer or a styler I may see a lot less tangles in the future.

ETA: You live in Jersey? Wow you're close! :D
    [FONT=&quot]
    SL

• naturalyogininaturalyogini Registered Users Posts: 430
    Just my 2 cents worth. Shea butter isn't a good leave-in under a gel as it is a sealant not a moisturizer. A water based leave-in is better. Also, the PH of the gel is important, at least in my hair it is. I think eco styler has a PH of 6 or 7. That's way too high to keep moisture in the hair. Try a product with a lower PH. I like Botanical Spirits gel, Botanical Spirits Health & Beauty, LLC

Also to soften the Wng after it dries, I use a spritz. You can make one with distilled water, aloe vera juice and castor oil pH 4.5. Then I scrunch in oil, butter or a leave-in. My wngs only last 2 days before I need to co-wash. When I do a protein treatment, my curls last longer. Also regular trims help wngs last longer.

:bounce::book:

@naturalyogini

Thank you! I will remember in the future to mist hair before handling and use oil or butter to seal and scrunch out the crunch. The leave in should also be water based. That leads me to believe that I should probably be styling on damp hair rather than sopping wet hair because my hair is low porosity. When it is soaking it doesn't absorb nearly anything.
    [FONT=&quot]
    SL

Yup, we need to hang out when its warm. I hate coming over in the cold. Im going to be in Mt Vernon on Saturday though, gotta go see the family
    Yup, we need to hang out when its warm. I hate coming over in the cold. Im going to be in Mt Vernon on Saturday though, gotta go see the family

I hate going outside period when its cold. When it's family though...well its family you have to go, lol.
    [FONT=&quot]
    SL

I am going to try a wash and go this weekend. I will post pictures and see what happens. Hopefully it turns out okay. :blob2:
    [FONT=&quot]
    SL

• CSICSI Registered Users Posts: 140
    Experimentation is key. I get my wng's to last all week by spritzing at night with a little water (if needed) and/or adding a little moisturizer (i.e. Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk) and putting in about 5-7 braids. The ends can be left out as is or twisted on the ends. This gives me the same wng look without having to re-wet hair during the week. Depending on the weather, the type of gel Im using and which day of the week it is, I may add a little more gel after the moisturizer before braiding at night.
    Check out Naptural85 on YouTube. She has tons of videos that are very informative.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using CurlTalk App

You know I have been checking out her modified wash and go and I might try it. I will try the product and pineapple method first and if that is a no-go I will try naptural85's modified wash and go.
    [FONT=&quot]
    SL

Just my 2 cents worth. Shea butter isn't a good leave-in under a gel as it is a sealant not a moisturizer. A water based leave-in is better. Also, the PH of the gel is important, at least in my hair it is. I think eco styler has a PH of 6 or 7. That's way too high to keep moisture in the hair. Try a product with a lower PH. I like Botanical Spirits gel, Botanical Spirits Health & Beauty, LLC

Also to soften the Wng after it dries, I use a spritz. You can make one with distilled water, aloe vera juice and castor oil pH 4.5. Then I scrunch in oil, butter or a leave-in. My wngs only last 2 days before I need to co-wash. When I do a protein treatment, my curls last longer. Also regular trims help wngs last longer.

I think you may be right about the water based leave-in too. I will keep that in mind as well.
    [FONT=&quot]
    SL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file