CurlTalk

Shakira hair at the Grammys

Shakira's hair looked so gorgeous at the grammys:
normal_12677633.jpg
My hair has a similar curl pattern, but how do I get it to look so thick like this? My hair used to be fuller when I was a teenager, but it seems it has lost some of its volume. Do you think any type of cut can help the hair look like hers?
pw: curlie

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I'm willing to bet that some of that hair is extensions
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    I'm willing to bet that some of that hair is extensions

I hope so because my hair is looking really flat by comparison.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Well Shakira has always had very thick hair. She doesn't seem to use a lot of product in her hair either, which I know from experience can make my hair look a lot more thicker and bigger because it's not weighed down.

What I don't like is the amount of frizz on her crown. I go nuts when I see it in my own hair.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • CurlyQTPieCurlyQTPie Posts: 447Registered Users
    I don't think that she has extensions. I think she just has very full hair. My hair looks similar to hers when it's really long. I think it just depends on the hair type.
    3B with some 3a. Fell off but am now back on the CG bandwagon and looking for my HG products.
  • st. louis bluest. louis blue Posts: 404Registered Users
    I thought Shakira used relaxer to loosen her curl some. I don't know where I read that, though.
  • SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
    Shakira is beautiful but this is an example of "big hair that looks good on other people" - if that hair was on my head, I would freak out and put it in a pony tail! :oops:
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • CurlyQTPieCurlyQTPie Posts: 447Registered Users
    SmallFry wrote:
    Shakira is beautiful but this is an example of "big hair that looks good on other people" - if that hair was on my head, I would freak out and put it in a pony tail! :oops:

Yea, it's that whole "grass is greener" thing! lol
    3B with some 3a. Fell off but am now back on the CG bandwagon and looking for my HG products.
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    I thought Shakira used relaxer to loosen her curl some. I don't know where I read that, though.

Ditto! I've read this too and I can clearly remember someone posting pics of her real hair. It was much darker and she was much younger.
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • SilverwoodSilverwood Posts: 39Registered Users
    I was watching one of the post-Grammy fashion police-type shows and one of the "experts" said they didn't like her hair and it "always" looked that way. As usual, I was offended by that comment because that is what her hair looks like. Sure, she could torture it into being straight, but I think her hair becomes her and she looked great while performing "Hips Don't Lie." She wouldn't have looked right with straight hair or an updo! The experts didn't like India.Arie's natural hair, either.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    :? I don't get it. Jennifer Aniston's hair has looked exactly the same for the last 15 years, but somehow nobody minds that. :roll:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Charming NotionCharming Notion Posts: 697Registered Users
    I was watching one of the post-Grammy fashion police-type shows and one of the "experts" said they didn't like her hair and it "always" looked that way. As usual, I was offended by that comment because that is what her hair looks like. Sure, she could torture it into being straight, but I think her hair becomes her and she looked great while performing "Hips Don't Lie." She wouldn't have looked right with straight hair or an updo! The experts didn't like India.Arie's natural hair, either.

yeah, i was watching that, too. the one guy said something along the lines "with all that money, you think she could afford some conditioner".
    :shock:
    okay, she probably put LOADS of conditioner in her hair, i bet. it actually looks quite soft to me:). guess what, mr.know-it-all-hair, curls have BODY and VOLUME! get over it, mkay <3
    formerly;; girl anachronism

politics is like me and my buddy going hippo hunting. we shoot a hippo and it falls on us. now, instead of using our joint effort of pushing the hippo off of us, we arue for 5 1/2 years on who's idea it was in the first place to go hippo hunting.
  • embudiniembudini Posts: 580Registered Users
    There was another Shakira thread a while back showing her with her really natural hair, which was more around 3b.

Guano, but girl[anachronism], I love your avatar. Where do you get a charlie the unicorn avatar? (This'll probably start a weird discussion...)
    PW: ihaveafotki :toothy2:
    Fotki UPDATED! 12-14-2007
    3A-3B layered-longer-than-shoulder-length-not-really-CG
    Former Tween Scene Columnist
  • Charming NotionCharming Notion Posts: 697Registered Users
    embudini wrote:
    There was another Shakira thread a while back showing her with her really natural hair, which was more around 3b.

Guano, but girl[anachronism], I love your avatar. Where do you get a charlie the unicorn avatar? (This'll probably start a weird discussion...)

iconator.com. just search charlie the unicorn and you'll get tons!
    formerly;; girl anachronism

politics is like me and my buddy going hippo hunting. we shoot a hippo and it falls on us. now, instead of using our joint effort of pushing the hippo off of us, we arue for 5 1/2 years on who's idea it was in the first place to go hippo hunting.
  • unique1193unique1193 Posts: 328Registered Users
    I know! isnt it goregoues?!
    but what i want to know is how is how she shook her head (pretty hard) back and forth yet her curls remained the same. Mine would look awful!

2c/3a
    Growing out hair to a little above bsl
    pw: ringlets
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Silverwood wrote:

:roll: I hate those dumb "fashion experts". None of them know what the hell they are talking about. They rag on people who look beautiful, unique, yet someone with the typical blah blah straight hair and blah blah make up and blah blah black dress comes out and they are all "OMG SHE LOOKED STUNNING! SHE'S SO CLASSY! AS ALWAYS! PERFECT!"

Heaven forbid if someone has a little wave or texture in their hair. They are compared to dogs and brillo pads. :roll:

And it's true about Jennifer Aniston, she'd had that same boring layered staight hightlighted hair forEVER, yet there were a couple of scenes in "The Breakup" where she wore her hair in soft waves/curls and it just made her look TONS prettier than that severely straight hair. Her face looked softer, younger.

I wish people would recognize that curls just have a youthful, fun, unique quality to them because not one curl is identical to the other!
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • botticellicurlygirlbotticellicurlygirl Posts: 168Registered Users
    It looks to me like a lot of the very spiraled pieces are curled with a curling iron. I'm willing to bed that they used a light styling creme or gel, blow dried/diffused, and then curled individual pieces. The highlighted pieces really show up. What I don't understand is, my hair is highlighted, and my curls never form exactly where the highlights are. There's a little bit of lighter hair and a little bit of darker hair in each curl. It's kind of like they painted the highlights after curling it.
    Fine, blonde 3a botticelli curls
  • botticellicurlygirlbotticellicurlygirl Posts: 168Registered Users
    Fine, blonde 3a botticelli curls
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I thought she looked awesome from head to toe at the Grammy's.
    But I always think she looks good. I have a little bit of a girl-crush on her. :oops:
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • curlychicacurlychica Posts: 19Registered Users
    I loved Shakira's hair and always do. She is awesome. I would take her hair any day of the week.
    Of course, the "experts" aren't going to like it, she's not the norm.
    curly chica
    Botticelli curls
  • jazzedbutterflyjazzedbutterfly Posts: 8Registered Users
    I LOVE Shakira her hair is beautifuL!!!!... but I love her natural black hair with added colored braids LOL.... Anyone like the Ciega Sordomuda video?!?!
    -Nataly
  • dabadckgrldabadckgrl Posts: 36Registered Users
    Curls are like snow flakes. No two are alike and they are all beautiful and natural:). Like snow they make you look clean and fresh! Plus it takes perfect conditions for them to happen;)! Ha! Ha!
    Silverwood wrote:

:roll: I hate those dumb "fashion experts". None of them know what the hell they are talking about. They rag on people who look beautiful, unique, yet someone with the typical blah blah straight hair and blah blah make up and blah blah black dress comes out and they are all "OMG SHE LOOKED STUNNING! SHE'S SO CLASSY! AS ALWAYS! PERFECT!"

Heaven forbid if someone has a little wave or texture in their hair. They are compared to dogs and brillo pads. :roll:

And it's true about Jennifer Aniston, she'd had that same boring layered staight hightlighted hair forEVER, yet there were a couple of scenes in "The Breakup" where she wore her hair in soft waves/curls and it just made her look TONS prettier than that severely straight hair. Her face looked softer, younger.

I wish people would recognize that curls just have a youthful, fun, unique quality to them because not one curl is identical to the other!
    Colored & Highlighted, trying to cover the gray, 2c curls past my shoulders. Shea Moisture Thickening Shampoo, Leave in Kinky Curly Knot, Next day curl refresher spray: kinky curly curling custard mixed with distilled water and Jojoba oil. Pomade Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade. Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz.
  • Curls&amp;amp;WavesCurls&amp;amp;Waves Posts: 46Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote:
    :? I don't get it. Jennifer Aniston's hair has looked exactly the same for the last 15 years, but somehow nobody minds that. :roll:

I know. No, offence to Jennifer Aniston but I don't get why those who have the same standard straight hair style that the majority adore are applauded and those like Shakira that don't are criticized. Reminds me when I will go out and my aunt will say something about me doing my hair "nicely" like my sister's straight hair.

Love Shakira's hair very nice. Not only the texture but the colour and highlights.
  • StormCloudCurlyStormCloudCurly Posts: 116Registered Users
    I can't believe that anyone could say negative things about her hair that night! Do you think a cream styler is better for getting thicker looking hair than a gel or mousse? I always get big hair when I use mousse, but it's also too drying.
    pw: curlie