How bad did I mess up?

hoodiehoodie Posts: 32Registered Users
Confession time - I've been straightening my hair since December. Last winter, I got practically no curl through the winter - it just hung there limp, stringy, and always wet/cold. My hair doesn't really want to do anything in the winter.

I haven't touched a hot iron to it more than maybe twice this whole time, nor have I gone back to 'cones or sulfates. I just blow dry it straight at night after a bit of air drying, sleep on it, then fluff it with some water in the morning (it's cut short, so all of this is pretty quick).

My question is pretty much in the title, though. How hard is it going to be to transition back to full on CG and wearing my hair curly? I think as soon as the temperature starts to settle in the 40s and above, I'm back, but I want to know A) how hard it's going to be to get some wave again and B) if anyone here straightens and has any tips for transitioning back.

Thanks!
2B - high porosity, low elacticity

CG steady since September '11

My routine (for now!)
Co Wash: Suave Naturals, VO5, or TJ's
Rinse-Out: 50/50 mix GVP Conditioning Balm & TJ's TTT
Low-Poo: TJ's TTT or Burt's Bees Pom
Leave-In: More GVP Conditioning Balm
DT: Olive & Jojoba Oil. Looking to try coconut soon!
Stylers: KCCC, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Joico Joiwhip, AVG, LaBella Lots of Curls....depends on the day

...always on the lookout for the next great product/technique!

Comments

• KatMackKatMack Posts: 60Registered Users
    I did almost that exact same thing this winter, except I didn't blow dry mine. I just brushed wet, didn't scrunch or use gel and let it air dry basically strait since I was lazy this winter and it was really windy most of December here so not very curl friendly anyway. I didn't have a hard time at all getting my curls to come back, I guess it depends on just how much heat you used and how often. As long as you didn't overdo it, I don't think you will have too much trouble, maybe just the first week or two will look a little off, mine did. The fact that you kept the no sulfate or silicone should help too.
    KAT
    ~Curly, Runner, Self-confessed Nerd~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2a no product/2b-c styled
    Low Porosity, Fine
    No poo-SM
    Co wash-VO5 kiwi lime*
    Rinse out- ION EC
    Leave in - Giovanni Direct then SM smoothie (ends only)
    Stylers-SM souffle topped with BRHG*

Hair hates: glycerin (high dews here in TX)
    Hair likes: Coconut Oil*, protein

*=HG
  • HairObsessedHairObsessed Posts: 138Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think you'll be fine. Doesn't sound like you're doing much damage to your hair.

Curls/waves can get stretched out if repeatedly "forced" straight. Are you using a brush to straighten your hair? That might cause you to lose a little bit of wave if you are.

When you're transitioning back, since you have high porosity hair, maybe try extra protein treatments.
    Wave Pattern: 2A
    Hair Properties: Normal/Low Porosity, Medium Density, Medium Texture w/Fine Straight Underlayer
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, Cure Care
    Low-poo: Renpure Brazilian Keratin
    Rinse Out & Leave In: Tresemme Naturals
    Gel: LA Looks Mega Mega Hold Gel, Garnier Fructis Spray Gel
  • tiara98tiara98 Posts: 24Registered Users
    When you're transitioning back, since you have high porosity hair, maybe try extra protein treatments.

i heat style a lot & protein has performed curl-restoring miracles for me!! :smilebox:
    2B/3A: fine, dry hair that "wilts"
    but seems to love protein!!
    :love2: Blended Cutie Silky Swirls Shampoo, Eden BodyWorks Peppermint Tea Tree Conditioner, Giovanni Nutrafix, Nutress Protein Pack (PT), Fairy Tales Coco Cabana Leave-In Sun Spray, Nutress Stop Break (LI), SSCEJ, Giovanni Magnetic Gel (styling), Turbie Twist (for plopping)
  • hoodiehoodie Posts: 32Registered Users
    Thanks! I use a brush around my face (curliest part) but the rest I just fluff with my fingers while drying. Good call on the protein-I picked up the ion reconstructor from Sally Beauty Supply. Will work in that and some DT when I start transitioning back. I'm thinking as soon as hat weather ends, I'm back!
    2B - high porosity, low elacticity

CG steady since September '11

My routine (for now!)
    Co Wash: Suave Naturals, VO5, or TJ's
    Rinse-Out: 50/50 mix GVP Conditioning Balm & TJ's TTT
    Low-Poo: TJ's TTT or Burt's Bees Pom
    Leave-In: More GVP Conditioning Balm
    DT: Olive & Jojoba Oil. Looking to try coconut soon!
    Stylers: KCCC, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Joico Joiwhip, AVG, LaBella Lots of Curls....depends on the day

...always on the lookout for the next great product/technique!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file