V shaped layers

DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Posts: 373Registered Users
Have you ever requested v-shaped layers? I'm wondering if my hair stylist is going to look at me like I have two heads?! Anyone else have this cut? If so, do you have any pics of the back? I looked for pics from the back of this cut on google, but only found straight hair pics!!! Argh!

Comments

• sdkittysdkitty Posts: 360Registered Users Curl Novice
    I asked my hairstylist if she thought this would be a good idea for me reently and she said no. I went with her advice.
    I had been thinking of this for a while. When I asked my prior hairdresser she said she could do it but she'd have to cut quite a bit off to achieve it.
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    I had this cut. It doesn't work for curly hair because all the curls and the body are gathered to the middle. At least in my case the shape was very strange when I didn't straighten it. It was stringy to the sides and poofy in the middle. Although it should be said I had no freaking idea how to style my hair back when I had this cut. I'd shampoo everyday, not use nearly enough conditioner, get out and rake a comb brutally through my poor poor hair to get it detangled and then rake in styling product and do a half-hearted scrunch up. That's probably why it looked like crap. :oops:
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

• DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Posts: 373Registered Users
    Hmmm...perhaps I should ask for a U shape then. I have layers now, but the shape in the back is almost straight across and the sides are too heavy.
  • tricellotricello Posts: 95Registered Users
    Aren't v shaped layers the standard Deva cut? Any Deva cut curly girl I have seen has various angles of a v shape. That does build more volume in the center of the head, but that is to counteract pyramid hair, where all the volume ends up at the bottom.
    High Density, High Porosity, Medium Texture, 3B with some kink

DT: SS DDMT - HG
    Lo-Poo: No Preference
    Co-wash: CJ Smoothing Conditioner
    RO: CJ Strengthening Conditioner - HG
    LI: CK Satin Roots
    Styler: CK Coil Jam
    Other Likes: Castor Oil; CK Twist Whip, MD CSC
    Dislikes: Wheat Protein; Aloe LIs or Stylers

• sdkittysdkitty Posts: 360Registered Users Curl Novice
    you might want a rounded bottom - not a v shape but not straight across. Your hairdresser should be able to help you decide.
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    tricello wrote: »
    Aren't v shaped layers the standard Deva cut? Any Deva cut curly girl I have seen has various angles of a v shape. That does build more volume in the center of the head, but that is to counteract pyramid hair, where all the volume ends up at the bottom.

Excellent point. I wish I could go back in time and restyle my hair way back when to make sure. It could have been that particular shape didn't work for my thick hair or it might've been my (lack of) styling technique.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

• CurlyIndianGirlCurlyIndianGirl Posts: 161Registered Users
    Are you guys talking about getting a basic V cut and getting layers or something different. I am having trouble understanding/imagining!!
    3a with some 2a-2c, Medium/Low Porosity
    Co-wash:deva no-poo/Vo5 kiwi
    Detangle:Suave
    Leave-in:Shea Moisture/GVP conditioning Balm/AOHSR

Since long hair- I finger twist in big chunks, which helps till 5th day hair:farao:
    Gel:LA sports
    Plop: Old T-shirt for 15 minutes ,diffuse
    I requested the U shape cut and thank God I did! The shortest layer is too short and I can only imagine it would've been even shorter with a V shape cut. I think I l like how it looks in the back, but the shortest layer (closest to my face) is too short and thick (too much hair in the shortest layer).:( I'll be pulling that back for the next few weeks. Kinda annoyed and kinda eh, whatever!
    Ok..only a little depressed now. Hopefully the curls will relax a bit once they get used to the cut.
  • longlivecurlslonglivecurls Posts: 271Registered Users
    My hair is cut in v shape layers and I don't have a problem with it. There is no bulk and my layers aren't too short around my face then again my hair is around bsl. I had a v shape cut before and was touched up after by a devacut. I don't know if curl type makes a difference but so far its working great for me. I started with 2c curls due to so much damage but now I think I am more 3a if not all. Best advice is to consult a good curly hair stylist. They will know what will work with your face shape, length and curl type.
    CG NEWBIE :afro:
    curl type: 2c/3a on a good day :love5:
    med/high porosity & high density
    hair strand width: med/coarse
    BSL hair & growing

GOING STRONG!!! SAY NO TO HEAT!!!
    :wav:
  • CurlyIndianGirlCurlyIndianGirl Posts: 161Registered Users
    I have a V-shape with layers, But my hair is past waist line and it is working out great for me
    3a with some 2a-2c, Medium/Low Porosity
    Co-wash:deva no-poo/Vo5 kiwi
    Detangle:Suave
    Leave-in:Shea Moisture/GVP conditioning Balm/AOHSR

Since long hair- I finger twist in big chunks, which helps till 5th day hair:farao:
    Gel:LA sports
    Plop: Old T-shirt for 15 minutes ,diffuse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file