We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Maintenance and care for Starter Locs?

Roni1Roni1 Posts: 1Registered Users
Hello.
Yesterday i got comb/gel twists in my hair and I'd like some tips and advice for daily maintanence.

P.S They're already starting to come loose in the back of my neck. What can i do about this? Should i just leave them alone.

Also the only thing i have to cover my hair is a wig/nylon cap i found in my house but i think it's to small for my hair ( parts of my twists stick out because they're too long) so i have to bunch my hair.into the cap. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    I started mine with twists and found that for the most part they stayed put. Sadly, I cannot offer much advice via coils. Maybe a satin pillowcase?

As for daily maintenance I left them alone in the initial stages. I was spritzing with water put found that it made my hair extra fuzzy.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • SurlycurlySurlycurly Posts: 156Registered Users
    Mine were started with finger coils. Like kayb said, I would try to leave them alone as much as possible. Unfortunately, some may come untwisted a little. If you feel comfortable doing so, you can just re-twist the ones that come unravelled. If not, then you can have your loctician or whoever did your locs re-twist them at your next visit. As far as coverings, I used a satin bonnet in the beginning and that worked ok. If they're too long for that, then try a silk or satin head scarf.

Hope that helps and enjoy your locs!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file