CurlTalk

Do you have to alternate products?

My hair only seems to like one line of products, and I've tried a LOT. Is it ok to just always use that one line, or should u alternate? I've spent so much money looking for products and now that I finally found one I just wanna make sure that I won't get too much of a good thing. Thanks curlies :)
Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been basically using the same products for 8-9 years. Sauve and VO5 conditioners and LA Looks Sport gel. I do change 'flavors' of conditioners just because I like the different scents and because I don't want my hair to get bored, but that's really about it.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 972Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use the same products. I've experimented a bit, but I like using the same products. It works for me. :)
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Rinse out: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition, Deva Supercream, and Deva B'leave-in
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

• yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    My hair only seems to like one line of products, and I've tried a LOT. Is it ok to just always use that one line, or should u alternate? I've spent so much money looking for products and now that I finally found one I just wanna make sure that I won't get too much of a good thing. Thanks curlies :)

If that works for your hair, then stick with it! Not only do you save money, but it reduces clutter in the shower :D

I would LOVE to have one set of products that works consistently, but I've found that I have to switch up every couple of days or they stop altogether. It's like I have to "trick" my hair into thinking I'm continually changing products, when in reality I'm using my HGs 75% of the time.

Hopefully, your hair isn't as finicky as mine,
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    Thanks guys! I'm so glad to hear that it can be done :) and successfully! And my hair has a bad rep for being finicky, so hopefully it won't change it's mind with these products -_-
    Well I jinxed it. My hair was feeling weighed down today and stretched out :(
  • EricachristinaEricachristina Posts: 496Registered Users
    Yes if it works the best for your hair there is nothing wrong with it. I like to try new things just to see what else is out there, you never know when something better will come alone, but I usually use my favs regularly among the other products I am trying.
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    It could be the weather and not the products. . . Are you still using As I Am mainly?
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

dusalocks wrote: »
    It could be the weather and not the products. . . Are you still using As I Am mainly?

No. The cowash starting weighing my hair down and the leave in didn't do anything for me. The gel didn't control my frizz enough
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    My hair actually prefers I stick with the same products. Anytime I switch things up there is an adjustment period.

Which is fine by me. Between my skin allergies and how picky my hair is I have a hard enough time as is finding products that work.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
    Today my hair felt heavy and product-y so I'm praying it was just build up and not that it's rejecting the new products it just liked a few days ago -__-
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    I rotate products almost everyday. Some styling products give me different results (tighter wave, softer more touchable hair) so I switch it up. I switch conditioners quite a bit as well!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    Today my hair felt heavy and product-y so I'm praying it was just build up and not that it's rejecting the new products it just liked a few days ago -__-

It sounds like maybe you should try switching things up. I know a lot of people play around. I do just find with kinky curly but I'm trying something a little different every time I style this month. I think my hair likes experimenting.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

I'm trying to save money for when I move away for grad school, but I think I'm gonna try experimenting with methods instead of products
  • BrittneyBuddyBrittneyBuddy Posts: 59Registered Users
    Nope. The more consistent I am with something I love, the better.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a, fine hair, high density, normal porosity and elasicity
    Low poo: Coloresse Moisture Shampoo
    RO: GVPCB
    LI: KCKT
    Gel: KCCC
    DT: SMT with GVPCB
    PT: Cure Care Conditioner
    Sealant: Grapeseed oil
    Other useful things: Homemade spray gel (diluted LI, gel, and sealant)
    Love plopping and air drying!
    Hate blow drying (cept for my bangs which *gasp* I blow dry straight!)