CurlTalk

my curls have changed (w before/after pics)

I've been thinking for a while that my hair looks kind of flat in back. Then I came across some photos I had posted here over a year ago. At that time, I had decided to change hairdressers because my layers were pretty much gone. Now, looking at the old pics, my hair was much fuller.
Now in the new pics, it looks almost like it's got a ton of gel in it (kind of the wet look from years ago).
I'm going for a cut with a new stylist this week. Hopefully she can make it look better. I like the length but I'm willing to lose some of it.
Opinions? Doesn't my current hair look (1st pic) almost kinky compared to the soft curls in the old pic?
thanks

Comments

• EricachristinaEricachristina Posts: 496Registered Users
    I think your hair in the first picture looks a bit more defined the curls look tighter whereas in the second picture they look less defined and a tad frizzy. Maybe you should try out some new styling products to help keep some curl definition and help with frizz. It doesn't look any less full to me though.
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 358Registered Users
    I think your hair in the first picture looks a bit more defined the curls look tighter whereas in the second picture they look less defined and a tad frizzy. Maybe you should try out some new styling products to help keep some curl definition and help with frizz. It doesn't look any less full to me though.

Yes, the more recent pic has more definition but I think it looks kind of flat. Will see what my new (Deva trained) stylist can do.
    thanks for your input Ericachristina
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    sdkitty wrote: »

Yes, the more recent pic has more definition but I think it looks kind of flat. Will see what my new (Deva trained) stylist can do.

Seems like what happens to me. When the curls clump together more I lose volume. When they are separated they are "fluffier" but also frizzy. Your damned if u do, damned if u dont -__- mine are clumped today too. Personally I don't like it. I rather have them bigger even if it means some more frizz lol. I think it's cuz I used two products after I showered, which believe it or not two is heavy for me. I have fine hair with what seems like NO porosity :sad3:
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:

Seems like what happens to me. When the curls clump together more I lose volume. When they are separated they are "fluffier" but also frizzy. Your damned if u do, damned if u dont -__- mine are clumped today too. Personally I don't like it. I rather have them bigger even if it means some more frizz lol. I think it's cuz I used two products after I showered, which believe it or not two is heavy for me. I have fine hair with what seems like NO porosity :sad3:

I know what you mean. Yesterday when I washed my hair, I decided to skip the leave-in conditioner in case it was weighing my hair down. But it didn't make much difference. So I think in my case it's the length matbe weighing it down. I'm so used to big hair so like you, I think I prefer more fluffy to more definition.
  • TartNTangyTartNTangy Posts: 53Registered Users
    Wow! What progress! Its beautiful! Sadly, my hair always resembles your hair in the 2nd pic. :/ Can't do anything right.
    -2b waist-length hair (ringlets in the front and canopy, straighter under-layer)
    -Dense head of med-coarse strands
    -Low
    porosity
  • Aqua_LilyAqua_Lily Posts: 557Registered Users
    Wow! You've made amazing progress, your current hair looks fantastic <3
    4-2.png
    Current length: tailbone
    Goal length: mid-thigh (wet)
    3A/2C M iii med por, high elast

HGs:
    Clarify: Nivea
    Lo-poo: Nature's Gate
    CW: Elvive Volume Collagen
    RO: EO Keratin, Desert Essence Raspberry

LI: Elvive volume collagen, KCKT
    Seal: Grapeseed oil
    Gel: Studioline

PT: EO Keratin co
    DT: RO+oils
    Hairgrowth stim.: JBCO+EVCO

www.iherb.com 5-10$ discount code:
    VHT541 Many natural hair products! :D

I know what you mean. Yesterday when I washed my hair, I decided to skip the leave-in conditioner in case it was weighing my hair down. But it didn't make much difference. So I think in my case it's the length matbe weighing it down. I'm so used to big hair so like you, I think I prefer more fluffy to more definition.

Yea i love long hair but it too weighs down my hair. I just got it cut to below my shoulders so I'm hoping to get more volume now. I'm always afraid to use more than 1 product. If I don't I get frizz city, if I do I get flat city lol I can't win!

Let me know if the stylist helps please!
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    I love the length, definition and shine in the first picture! I completely understand what you're saying though. I've been contemplating getting layers because I'm having the same 'flat' issue. My hair is super fine, almost down the tailbone when wet but I love the clumpy look so any volume is pretty much impossible right now. I use a deva diffuser (not their super expensive blow dryer, just the attachment) to dry around my scalp and give my roots some lift but by the end of the day...back to looking flat.

I just have to make the effort to find a stylist who knows how to cut curly hair. Also, I'm afraid of the amount it's going to cost compared to the $15 "straight hair" trims I'm used to getting. I guess you get what you pay for.
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

TartNTangy wrote: »
    Wow! What progress! Its beautiful! Sadly, my hair always resembles your hair in the 2nd pic. :/ Can't do anything right.
    Aqua_Lily wrote: »
    Wow! You've made amazing progress, your current hair looks fantastic <3
    sheilacurl wrote: »
    I love the length, definition and shine in the first picture! I completely understand what you're saying though. I've been contemplating getting layers because I'm having the same 'flat' issue. My hair is super fine, almost down the tailbone when wet but I love the clumpy look so any volume is pretty much impossible right now. I use a deva diffuser (not their super expensive blow dryer, just the attachment) to dry around my scalp and give my roots some lift but by the end of the day...back to looking flat.

I just have to make the effort to find a stylist who knows how to cut curly hair. Also, I'm afraid of the amount it's going to cost compared to the $15 "straight hair" trims I'm used to getting. I guess you get what you pay for.

Interesting - I'm not satisfied with my current hair and you all think it's much improved. I think part of my problem is I was criticizing another curly haired woman who has very long hair (like waist length). I thought it looked very flat and gelled (kind of wet look). Then I looked at my own and saw a resemblence.
    Also - maybe I have too much time on my hands to obsess about my hair :)

Will see what the new stylist says. One good thing about her - she had several positive feedbacks on this website and the only ones who complained were two who wanted more hair cut off. So she won't cut off more than I want.

Thanks for all your comments.
    sheilacurl wrote: »

Wow, your hair is very long. And if it's fine, I would think it would have to be pretty flat. As far as getting what you pay for, I'm not sure about that. I'd be afraid to go to a Supercuts or someplace like that but I worked with a woman who had hair very much like mine and that's what she did. Her hair always looked beautiful.
    I think there are many stylists out there who take advantage of the curly haired community's obession with our hair and charge more than they're worth. I do think you might benefit from some long layers. You could look on this website for hairstylists in your city and go for a consult or two.
  • ShadiyahShadiyah Posts: 11Registered Users
    It is layers that will give you volume. Your hair will look fuller once you get the layers cut in. Hair all one length is going to look flat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BC 12/2008
    Current L: BSL
    Goal: HL
    HT: 3b
    curlyummi.com
    Shadiyah wrote: »
    It is layers that will give you volume. Your hair will look fuller once you get the layers cut in. Hair all one length is going to look flat.

I do have layers but maybe she can do a bit more layering....thanks Shadiyah
    I went for my haircut today and I'm very pleased. She cut a couple of inches off and did the Deva styling. It looks very thick and healthy now - not flat at all. I think I've found a very good stylist. I'll be more sure about the degree of improvement after I've washed and styled it myself but preliminary I'm very happy.

I went for my haircut today and I'm very pleased. She cut a couple of inches off and did the Deva styling. It looks very thick and healthy now - not flat at all. I think I've found a very good stylist. I'll be more sure about the degree of improvement after I've washed and styled it myself but preliminary I'm very happy.

Pic? And I'm thinking about having a friend cut layers in mine too

I'll try to get some pics soon but maybe better to wait until I style it myself. It looks good the way she did it and I think it will look good after I wash but that would be a more fair comparison.

I'll try to get some pics soon but maybe better to wait until I style it myself. It looks good the way she did it and I think it will look good after I wash but that would be a more fair comparison.

Ok

Ok

Your hair reminds me of mine in your pic but you say yours is fine and mine is more coarse. I do think you'd benefit from layers but make sure if you have some layers cut that they are long layers.

Here's a photo of my hair after styling it myself using the technique my stylist taught me. Don't know if it's obvious from the photo, but I got better curl formation and less frizz.
  • elizardelizard Posts: 284Registered Users
    sdkitty, i think your hair looks great. the change your hair has made is really the goal of CG... maximizing the moisture protein balance. your hair looks much healthier now.
    2b/c wavy modified CG since July 2012
    medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    hair likes protein, doesn't like oils, easily OC'd

low poo: JCHCC, CJGCS
    RO/co-wash/LI: YTCarrots, DB Pumpkin Seed
    stylers: a bunch of stylers that are all pretty much the same (KCCC, UFDCM, CRCM, CKCJ) or ArcAngel if I need more hold
    DT/PT: CJRM, CNPF
  • longlivecurlslonglivecurls Posts: 271Registered Users
    I think the same thing happened to me my hair is starting to feel thinner (less volume) than when I wasn't doing CG. I don't think it's that your hair is flatter but less frizzy. My hair was dry and damaged therefore it frizzed up like crazy making it look really poofy. Now that my hair is a lot more hydrated its not as bad and clumps nicer therefore making it feel like it's thinner or flatter even tho it's nowhere near thin lol. If you want more volume you can try diffusing it.
    CG NEWBIE :afro:
    curl type: 2c/3a on a good day :love5:
    med/high porosity & high density
    hair strand width: med/coarse
    BSL hair & growing

GOING STRONG!!! SAY NO TO HEAT!!!
    :wav:
    elizard wrote: »
    sdkitty, i think your hair looks great. the change your hair has made is really the goal of CG... maximizing the moisture protein balance. your hair looks much healthier now.
    I think the same thing happened to me my hair is starting to feel thinner (less volume) than when I wasn't doing CG. I don't think it's that your hair is flatter but less frizzy. My hair was dry and damaged therefore it frizzed up like crazy making it look really poofy. Now that my hair is a lot more hydrated its not as bad and clumps nicer therefore making it feel like it's thinner or flatter even tho it's nowhere near thin lol. If you want more volume you can try diffusing it.

thanks elizard

longlivecurls, since I got my Deva cut, I'm no longer unhappy with my hair as far as flatness.....my layers are better now......I do diffuse. Yesterday, I did a combo of air dry and diffusing
    thanks
    I'm glad you were able to fix the problem and love your hair now. How did they cut the layers in the back? I have a post that shows some before/after devacut pics. Would love if you can share some there :)
    BSL hair & growing

I'm glad you were able to fix the problem and love your hair now. How did they cut the layers in the back? I have a post that shows some before/after devacut pics. Would love if you can share some there :)

Your hair in your avatar is gorgeous.
    Not sure I can explain how my haircut was done. I believe she said she does the bottom first as a base and then she cut several long layers on top of that.
    Sure, I can post pics in the devacut thread.
    Thanks one of my few good hair days LOL.

Did they leave the back all one length and just layered the frame or did they layered the back as well? (If that makes any sense) I'm asking cause since my hair is heavy the back doesn't curl as nice and I'm wondering if layering the back itself might help perk up some curls.
    BSL hair & growing

Thanks one of my few good hair days LOL.

Did they leave the back all one length and just layered the frame or did they layered the back as well? (If that makes any sense) I'm asking cause since my hair is heavy the back doesn't curl as nice and I'm wondering if layering the back itself might help perk up some curls.

she did a few long layers on the back.....no short layering....if that answers your question
    Sdkitty u were right about a layered haircut! My hair looks amazing! The layers in my hair really made a huge difference! I am so happy with this haircut! It's the way I always wanted it to look!
    Sdkitty u were right about a layered haircut! My hair looks amazing! The layers in my hair really made a huge difference! I am so happy with this haircut! It's the way I always wanted it to look!

Oh good....do you have pictures?
    Did you have your friend do it?

Oh good....do you have pictures?
    Did you have your friend do it?

No. My so called "friend" never even got back to me. So, by chance I went to another friend's place this weekend and she looked up salons on Yelp and found one a few blocks from her place. They saw me that day and the girl really knew what she was doing :mrgreen: She got it to look exactly the way I envisioned it. I lucked out!
    Your hair looks great. Sounds like you found yourself a very good hairdresser. Good thing your friend wasn't available; she probably wouldn't have done as good a job.

Did you say your hair was fine? It looks really thick in the pics.