CurlTalk

Childhood expressions/figures of speech

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
I just said, "Later, gator" to someone and was kinda bummed he didn't respond with, "After while, crocodile." Does anyone else remember this expression? We used to say it as kids all the time. It sounds so corny now. But I still enjoy it. What other expressions from your childhood do you still enjoy and use (other than cool, which is still very much in circulation)?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• GoddessLalaGoddessLala Posts: 351Registered Users
    Well I'm not too far removed from my childhood (I'm 23), but my mom texted me yesterday and I replied, "Okie dokie artichokie." I'm sure there are others that I still use, but they escape me right now...
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    I sometimes still use Nighty night, sleep tight. Ups-a-daisy, oopsy-daisy, or whoops-a-daisy (it just depends). I am not above double or triple dog daring someone, if given a good reason to. People are still lame. Things that are fantastic will occasionally get called 'the most' or 'so very'. Thank you Heathers for the last one.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    Did you just say "Later, gator?" Because that would not trigger the response from me. Now if someone says, "See you later, alligator" Then, yup :)
    When I was away doing a show, my husband ended a phone call with "Good night. Sleep tight.........Don't let the monsters get you"

The hell..
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    Trenell wrote: »
    When I was away doing a show, my husband ended a phone call with "Good night. Sleep tight.........Don't let the monsters get you"

The hell..

rofl..awww, so cute
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Did you just say "Later, gator?" Because that would not trigger the response from me. Now if someone says, "See you later, alligator" Then, yup :)
    Really? Hmmm, see, there's no distinction to me.

The hell..
    LOL! No rhyme?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users

Same here - I'd need the whole prompt to complete the phrase correctly.

We use it all the time down here, partly because we have alligators in every lake & also because of University of Florida's sports teams.

The hell..

C'mon, EVERYBODY knows it's "Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite"! :toothy7:

That got kind of creepy when NY had its infestation a couple of years ago, though.

How about:
    I got dibs!
    or
    That's a gyp!
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't actually still say this but I remember "cross your heart, hope to die, stick a needle in your eye" being a big one everytime anyone promised something.

And also "pretty plz w/ a sugar and a cherry on top" if you were begging.

And if you were singing "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer," you had to add a bunch of other academic subjects after "you'll go down in history..." LOL

And "I'm rubber you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks onto you," when someone was talking ish to you. LOL

Those are all good ones! Reminded me of "Step on a crack, break your mother's back".
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    Take a picture it'll last longer.

Cool beans.

As if, duh, I'm audi/outtie, any other clueless-esque sayings.

Smell ya later

What's up? The sky, duh.

What's cookin good lookin?

Oh! Jingle bells batman smells robin laid an egg...

And loser, loser, double loser, what ever, get the picture? DUH.

And handgames were so big in my elementary school so all those charming little ditties.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

I don't actually still say this but I remember "cross your heart, hope to die, stick a needle in your eye" being a big one everytime anyone promised something.

And also "pretty plz w/ a sugar and a cherry on top" if you were begging.

And if you were singing "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer," you had to add a bunch of other academic subjects after "you'll go down in history..." LOL

And "I'm rubber you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks onto you," when someone was talking ish to you. LOL

I know you are, but what am I?!?
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1360095089.533276.jpg

"Infinity!"
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sometimes I still want to say, "ewwwww, you've got cooties"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    Anything from Pee Wee Herman!

Sleeptight. Dont let the bedbugs bite. if they do, take you shoe. and hit them til they black and blue.

see you later alligato. after while crocadile.

see you in the funny papers. not if i see you first.
    And handgames were so big in my elementary school so all those charming little ditties.

Those were huge at my school too. By some sad turn of events, I can only recall fast food related ones. Double time...

Big Mac, filet of fish, quarter pounder, french fries, icy coke, thick shakes, sundaes and apple pies.

Freakin' McDonalds.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fifi.G wrote: »

Those were huge at my school too. By some sad turn of events, I can only recall fast food related ones. Double time...

Big Mac, filet of fish, quarter pounder, french fries, icy coke, thick shakes, sundaes and apple pies.

Freakin' McDonalds.

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun! : )

Sent from my SPH-D600 using CurlTalk App
    Sometimes I still want to say, "ewwwww, you've got cooties"

Well........."circle circle dot dot dot, now I've got the cooties shot." So there.:sunny:

yossarian wrote: »

Freakin' McDonalds.

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun! : )

Sent from my SPH-D600 using CurlTalk App

*Rubble Rubble* ;) They ruined us.

SL, hahaha!

This makes me want to push a boy down and run away in my kitten heels. Glad you started it, TNB. Good times.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freakin' McDonalds.
    Why do I remember it: "quarter pounder with some cheese, icy coke..."? LOL

• CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    I used to think these words/phrases were correct when I was little and sometimes I still say them without meaning to.

"Spisghetti"

"Polish nail"

"You'd better be lucky that..." (a combo of "You'd better be glad that...." & "You're lucky that...")

"That's what you forget."

"A little b**** more....." (Hey, it all sounded the same to me...)

I also still call my mom, mommy. I'm the only one in my family that does it, though. When I saw this Starbucks ad about their new blonde roast, I had to smile.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxShCz_TCbn8" class="Popup
    33abhqq.gif
    Really? Hmmm, see, there's no distinction to me.

[?

Yup. It's sing-songy

See ya laTAH, alligaTAH

After WHILE, crocoDILE.
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Psych, psych, psychological (I don't know where that came from or why, but we said it all the time)

Curiosity killed the cat! And satisfaction brought it back!

I see said the blind man...
    ... as he picked up his hammer and saw...
    ... as he spoke to this deaf daughter...

I know you are, but what am I?

I'm rubber your glue. what ever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you.

I don't shut up I grow up and when i look at you i throw up.
    And then your mom comes around the corner and licks it up!

Happy birthday to you. you live in a zoo. you smell like a monkey. you dress like one too.

And many more. On channel 4. And scooby doo on channel 2. And hbo on channel oh.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    "I am rubber you are glue, it bounces off me and sticks to you" when someone teased lol.

"Ready Freddy?" when time to go.

"Okey Dokey Smokey"

"Yum yum, piggies bum" when something was tasty.

"Pardon misses Arden there's a chicken in my garden" instead of "pardon me."
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    My very own idiom: butterfoot, instead of barefoot.

Mmmm, butter.
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I still love to use "your mom" and "your face" as comebacks. It just cracks me up.

"I don't think that's appropriate."

"Well, I don't think your FACE is appropriate."

Similarly, it's really funny to do the mocking voice + jibberish when someone is really serious. I sometimes imagine actors just mocking what the other person said instead of their real line, when I'm watching a serious drama on tv. Crack myself up.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    You know what? Chicken butt.

I forgot that one...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• cailincailin Posts: 897Registered Users
    I still say "your Face"

Pinky swear

My coworker decided to be each other's exercise accountability partner. We said what we were going to do this am for exercise and pinky swore on it.

Jinx! Buy me a Coke!
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    Liar liar pants on fire

My son and I do the "eenie meenie miney mo" and "bubble gum , bubble gum in a dish.."

Another one that had me 80 as a kid ( and too violent & visual) was the "my mother & your mother were out hanging clothes ..."
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
    This is (a new??) one my kids say:
    Girls go to college to get more knowledge and boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider.

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    ^^
    The second half sounds familiar to me.

This thread reminded me of the clapping game. Do kids still play that? I remember only the start of one of the songs, See See my playmate, come out and play with me. . .

We had a bunch of songs that went along with chinese jump rope but for the life of me I can't remember any of them.

And there was that string game too, where you'd make patterns by wrapping string around your fingers and hands then you pass it on to someone who'd make something else and so on.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    Of course I hit submit and I instantly remember some!

One potato, two potato, three potato four
    5 potato, six potato, seven potato, more

Trick or treat, smell my feet
    give me something good to eat
    if you don't, I don't care
    I'll pull down your underwear