CurlTalk

Will a hooded/hard hat dryer take away volume?

I've been considering buying a hooded dryer because diffusing makes my hair frizzy, and my hair in general is very frizzy because its very fine but I have a lot of it... but I also have flat hair on the top which is why i flip my head over when I diffuse. So...that being said, will a hooded dryer just make my hair all flat on top and give me no volume? Cuz if that's the case I rather keep diffusing and have frizz but have more voluminous hair :-( Here's the one I've been considering buying (or any other good one not exceeding $100):

Conair Professional - Babyliss - BaByliss Pro Thermal Ionic Rollabout Dryer
Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:

Comments

• KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    I haven't seen a hooded dryer do much to improve volume. It simply "freezes" the hair in more or less in the same position you started with after washing your hair. I mean the curls plump up some as they're drying, of course, but nothing major. And you can still end up w/some frizz from the air current. One thing to do is when using a hooded dryer, is to place a damp paper towel over the top of your head as it dries to reduce the frizz. You could always sit under the hood dryer for a while and then, once your hair is partially dry, finish it off by diffusing upside down. That would at least save you a lot of the arm work of an entire diffusing session, plus you'd have time to do some reading or whatever.
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    I haven't seen a hooded dryer do much to improve volume. It simply "freezes" the hair in more or less in the same position you started with after washing your hair. I mean the curls plump up some as they're drying, of course, but nothing major. And you can still end up w/some frizz from the air current. One thing to do is when using a hooded dryer, is to place a damp paper towel over the top of your head as it dries to reduce the frizz. You could always sit under the hood dryer for a while and then, once your hair is partially dry, finish it off by diffusing upside down. That would at least save you a lot of the arm work of an entire diffusing session, plus you'd have time to do some reading or whatever.

Thanks :happy8: I guess if all else fails it could be used for PT's on the weekends
    Sure it could lol. So does that mean you're still investing in the hood dryer then?
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    YEARS ago this dryer was really popular: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/70198-r2d2-hard-hat-dryer-help-im-having-pj-attack.html

Unfortunately, Sally's doesn't carry it anymore. At least you can see what people had to say about hat hat dryer, in general. I took mine out yesterday because of your question. Did a PT and sat under it after I styled my hair. Hair was fine, but not as curly. I think it was the product(s) I used and not the dryer. Usually, curls are tighter after PT. There wasn't any frizz. Once again, I think it was the PT and not the dryer.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sure it could lol. So does that mean you're still investing in the hood dryer then?

Dunno. Money has been tight lately
    kathymack wrote: »
    YEARS ago this dryer was really popular: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/70198-r2d2-hard-hat-dryer-help-im-having-pj-attack.html

Unfortunately, Sally's doesn't carry it anymore. At least you can see what people had to say about hat hat dryer, in general. I took mine out yesterday because of your question. Did a PT and sat under it after I styled my hair. Hair was fine, but not as curly. I think it was the product(s) I used and not the dryer. Usually, curls are tighter after PT. There wasn't any frizz. Once again, I think it was the PT and not the dryer.

Thanks Kathy. The reduction in frizz is really what I want it for, but I just don't wanna have flat top syndrome lol. I still have to think about it some more

Thanks Kathy. The reduction in frizz is really what I want it for, but I just don't wanna have flat top syndrome lol. I still have to think about it some more

If you want to spend the money on a great professional dryer, I'd suggest the FHI Nano. It gets a lot of discussion in this thread http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/118164-anybody-have-expensive-hair-dryer.html

I keep a $25 dyer at my vacation home. I notice a BIG difference between that and my FHI Nano.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you want to spend the money on a great professional dryer, I'd suggest the FHI Nano. It gets a lot of discussion in this thread http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/118164-anybody-have-expensive-hair-dryer.html

I keep a $25 dyer at my vacation home. I notice a BIG difference between that and my FHI Nano.

Is this the one:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beautychoice.com%2Fproducts%2FFHI_Heat_Platform_Nano_Salon_Pro_2000_Powerful_Tourmaline_Ceramic_Hair_Dryer_Black-47722-8.html" class="Popup
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    Can you try a dryer hat attachment. I use mine for DT and it works really well and cost me $5. I wear a shower cap over my hair to keep it clean during the DT.

If nothing else this might give you an idea before you splurge.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
    Can you try a dryer hat attachment. I use mine for DT and it works really well and cost me $5. I wear a shower cap over my hair to keep it clean during the DT.

If nothing else this might give you an idea before you splurge.

Lol thank u for looking out for my pockets :)
  • DarbyDarby Posts: 1,025Registered Users
    I have fine hair and it is thin. I was put under a hooded dryer a few times at the salon. It wasn't for me. Didn't do anything for curl formation and I got zero volume. I guess if you occassionally did the shake method by shaking your hair with your hands and then continued to dry, that might work.
    PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
    Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b
    Darby wrote: »
    I have fine hair and it is thin. I was put under a hooded dryer a few times at the salon. It wasn't for me. Didn't do anything for curl formation and I got zero volume. I guess if you occassionally did the shake method by shaking your hair with your hands and then continued to dry, that might work.

Yea, I'm afraid to take the risk. I think I might just buy a good hair dryer. I'm currently researching that fhi nano one
  • crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    One thing I have learned is that if I use the right product and the right amount I can diffuse and not get a ton of frizz from it. The key for me is to let my gel set up before I diffuse.

Thats where the hard hat dryer comes in. Its really speeds up the setting of the gel so I can diffuse to get some volume in the crown area. Learned this trick from my Deva stylist. If you have time to air dry say about 30 minutes and diffuse you should be ok. I dont leave myself enough time to air dry first. I style everyday so a hard hat dryer is a big time saver for me.
    crazywaves wrote: »
    One thing I have learned is that if I use the right product and the right amount I can diffuse and not get a ton of frizz from it. The key for me is to let my gel set up before I diffuse.

Thats where the hard hat dryer comes in. Its really speeds up the setting of the gel so I can diffuse to get some volume in the crown area. Learned this trick from my Deva stylist. If you have time to air dry say about 30 minutes and diffuse you should be ok. I dont leave myself enough time to air dry first. I style everyday so a hard hat dryer is a big time saver for me.

Today I let my hair air dry for some time before I diffused it and it came out pretty good. But, i used a new combo of products so idk if it was that or letting it air dry a bit before diffusing lol im so confused! :banghead:
    here's how it turned out today:

Mine is a different color, but that should be it. Here's a link where it might be cheaper FHI Nano Salon Pro 2000 Hair Dryer Reviews | Folica.com
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They didn't have anymore on folica so I ordered the one from my link cuz it was an extra 20% off and comes out to the same price as the one on folica. I decided on that dryer rather than a hooded dryer. I hope I see a difference when I use it! Before I was using a Remington dryer

Mine is a different color, but that should be it. Here's a link where it might be cheaper FHI Nano Salon Pro 2000 Hair Dryer Reviews | Folica.com

I got the FHI Nano 2000 today so I'll be trying it tomorrow morning. I hope it works out well
  • kaj1212kaj1212 Posts: 98Registered Users
    Please let us know....thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using CurlTalk App
    Ok so I don't see a HUGE difference between dryers BUT the nano dries my hair well without making it feel like it parched my hair like my other dryer. So that i really like. Also it reduces frizz a little bit. So overall I like it. Feels like good quality and it's light IMO cuz my old one was heavy. Here's a pic after using it:

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1360771934.726703.jpg
    Well hey! Improvement! And your hair looks nice :thumbup: Do you feel it was worth the purchase then?
    Well hey! Improvement! And your hair looks nice :thumbup: Do you feel it was worth the purchase then?

Thank u :) I do but if I could get another professional one for a little less than I paid I would. Overall I'm glad I got it though I'm not regretting it. I did get a good deal too compared to the original price
    Although today I made the mistake of not patiently waiting for my hair to dry so I put the dryer on high and blasted my hair lol now I remember why I don't do that anymore. I have a gigantic ball of frizz for hair today. *grabs hat on the way out*
    So far so good with the blow dryer. I like it!
  • PomegranateCurlPomegranateCurl Posts: 212Registered Users
    I'm really interested in hard hat dryers as I don't have a ton of time to diffuse my hair in the morning and I'm thinking if I could do some work/check emails while the hard hat dries my hair that would be a great solution for me.

As far as volume, couldn't you wear clips (duckbill or those CHS ones) under the hard hat?
    I'm really interested in hard hat dryers as I don't have a ton of time to diffuse my hair in the morning and I'm thinking if I could do some work/check emails while the hard hat dries my hair that would be a great solution for me.

As far as volume, couldn't you wear clips (duckbill or those CHS ones) under the hard hat?

Clips don't really give me any volume either. I gave up
    Over a year later and I finally broke down and bought one today lol. I got is for $88 on sale at Sally's. It was originally $119. I'm doing a DT with it now. I do like the warm feeling on my head lol but anyway, we'll see how it turns out :-o
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    sKorpio1190, did you mean you broke down and got the hard hat dryer? How do you like it and how does it compare to the FHI Nano?

After much consideration, I too ordered the FHI Nano. I'm hoping drying with it will be a little faster than the softhood bonnet I currently have.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
    I returned it. My hair was too flat and I don't DT enough to keep it around. I still prefer diffusing upside down