CurlTalk

What's your favorite kind of cake?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
Is it homemade? Do you make it? Or is it purchased? Recipes are appropriate too!
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    Cheesecake....not really a cake, but I adore it!
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    The kind on the plate in front of me about to go into my mouth. :D (in other words, just about any kind of cake works for me, I can't possibly pick)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users
    Carrot cake, in any form at all

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • cocodejcocodej Posts: 1,182Registered Users
    While I too love Cheesecake, my original love was Boston Creme Pie...swoonnn....
    James Baldwin
    A Talk To Teachers
    [...]
    one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
    [...]
  • moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users
    Carrot cake and cheesecake! Mmmmm. I like Sprinkles' carrot cupcakes and most cheesecakes.
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I don't like white cake or cheesecake; all others are fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine with me.

(Oh, and I'm fussy about frosting. Not too sweet or I pick it off and toss it.)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYa3RUIvzXmg" class="Popup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    My grandmother made a date nut cake that is my FAVORITE FOOD EVER. My mom makes it now. I've made it a few times but it's a pain in the butt so I prefer to just beg my mom until she does it.

Edited because my grandmother passed away about six years ago and her cake making has really dropped off since then.

This reminds me, my other grandmother (who has also passed) made a really fantastic fresh apple cake. For some reason, I have a hard time keeping track of the recipe. I wrote it on the back of something. Every time I find it, I make it because I know I'm going to lose it again soon.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    I love some of the ones already mentioned. Cheesecake (it's an honorary cake), and carrot cake. Mmmm. I also love pound cakes, german chocolate cake, coconut cake, a good yellow cake with homemade chocolate frosting. :)

It would be easier to say I do not like cake with nuts (other than GC but only if they are chopped up fine in the frosting. hate black walnut cake, etc.), red velvet, or cool whip frosting. And yes, I bake my own.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • naturaldollnaturaldoll Posts: 567Registered Users
    how could no one have mentioned pineapple upside down yet? yumm

Sent from my LS670 using CurlTalk App
    Last Relaxer: February 14, 2011
    BC: March 17, 2012
    Porosity: Low to Normal
    Curl Type: 4a/3c
    Texture: Coarse
    Density: Thick
    Length:shoulder
    24661416.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    :love4::afro:
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users
    I pretty much love any cake except Red Velvet which everyone raves about but I don't understand. And because of my extreme love of cake, I have tried it many times but I have never found one that I like. My favorite cake is a plain white cake.

I also don't really love any cake that has a filling of any flavor of jam. Yuck!

I have been limiting my sugar intake drastically over the past few months but I still eat cake when the occasion rises and enjoy it greatly! However, I did make myself a birthday cake and found my old favorite buttercream frosting way too sweet and I felt really sick after eating it so I have to find a substitute or just cut it out all together.
    316vq4y.jpg
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    I like pound cake, red velvet, moist carrot cake, white cake and pineapple upside down cake. And fried cake slices of almost any sort are fantastic. I don't like German Chocolate though and most basic chocolate cakes are disappointing.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    how could no one have mentioned pineapple upside down yet? yumm

LOL we were posting at the same time.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    sariroo wrote: »
    I pretty much love any cake except Red Velvet which everyone raves about but I don't understand. And because of my extreme love of cake, I have tried it many times but I have never found one that I like. My favorite cake is a plain white cake.

I also don't really love any cake that has a filling of any flavor of jam. Yuck!

That is exactly how I feel about red velvet. I have tried it a few different time, and baked by some fantastic cooks. It just isn't my thing.

Thanks to this post and one one before I will add fruit fillings and many fruit cakes to my NO list. I eat very few.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users
    The fruit/jam thing is a huge pet peeve of mine. One time my boss bought me a beautifully decorated birthday cake. But when I cut into it, it had raspberry jam and I had to choke it down in front of her. I fed some to everyone else we worked with and then I took the leftovers home and scraped the jam off and ate the rest. Why ruin good cake like that???

I also realized after reading the other responses that I also hate German chocolate cake, especially the frosting.

I do love a slice of grilled pound cake with ice cream even though I usually don't understand why at birthdays people eat cake with ice cream. Ice cream, in my mind, goes with pie, not cake!
    316vq4y.jpg
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    Grilled cake?

Grilled cake?

Griiled cake?

Never heard of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
    claudine19 wrote: »
    Grilled cake?

Grilled cake?

Griiled cake?

Never heard of it.
    Yes! It's a beautiful thing! Almost any unfrosted cake is great this way. I just put a little butter in a hot pan, add a slice of cake then let it cook for a minute or 2 on both sides. Yum!! I guess I don't grill it exactly, but this is how I like it.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    Carrot cake
    Pineapple upside cake
    german chocolate
    strawberry shortcake
    black forest cake
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    Carrot Cake
    Red Velvet
    Chocolate

Never had pineapple upside down cake but I think I'd like it.
    I do love a good pound cake.

I do not understand all of you who do not like jam or filled cakes. Jam makes EVERYTHING better!
  • naturaldollnaturaldoll Posts: 567Registered Users
    Josephine wrote: »
    Carrot

Never had pineapple upside down cake but I think I'd like it.

it is flipping incredible. the way you bake it, brown sugar forms a crust with pineapple slices, but the pineapple keeps the cake moist.....num

dang it, now im haveing pregnancy cravings

Last Relaxer: February 14, 2011
    BC: March 17, 2012
    Porosity: Low to Normal
    Curl Type: 4a/3c
    Texture: Coarse
    Density: Thick
    Length:shoulder
    24661416.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    :love4::afro:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,249Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My late Aunt Nenan's chocolate cake with chocolate icing. It was nearly black in color, super moist, and had a distict flavor. She died without ever giving anyone the recipe (I begged) and I've never been able to copy it. I've tried for years and years. I can still taste it and still miss it. : (
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,249Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CGNYC wrote: »
    My grandmother made a date nut cake that is my FAVORITE FOOD EVER.

This sounds delicious. If it's not too much trouble I would love the recipe.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    For my birthday my family makes me a chocolate cake with white buttercream frosting. It is always the perfect thing.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mmmmmm, cake. I've never met a cake I didn't like. White cake, chocolate cake, spice cake, yellow cake, lemon cake, and on and on and on. If I had to choose a favorite, it would be white cake with a touch of almond flavoring.

Cake is awesome
    Cake is good
    Cake is B-wavy's
    favorite food

:occasion6:
    CGNYC wrote: »
    My grandmother made a date nut cake that is my FAVORITE FOOD EVER.

This sounds delicious. If it's not too much trouble I would love the recipe.

I have it somewhere. I'll try to PM it to you tonight. It's sooooo good, I hope you like it!
  • rmc2rmc2 Posts: 349Registered Users
    My favorite kind of cake is caramel cake. 2 layer yellow cake filled and covered with caramel. I also love rum
    Cake and tres Leches cake. I am an amateur baker and I make them and eat them all. Lol
  • creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    Safeway used to have a lemon mascarpone sponge cake with blackberries in it that was amazing. I used to buy the small cakes they sold just for the heck of it and ended up getting a larger one for my high school graduation. It's been at least six years since I've seen one.

I used to be a chocolate cake lover as a kid, but I much prefer carrot cake with not too sweet cream cheese frosting now. And I'll never say no to cheesecake.
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    I always liked light textured cake such as angel food, especially when paired with berries. My mom also makes something called a chocolate cream roll that has a chocolate spongey cake that is rolled and has a cream filling. Yum!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

Oh yeah, how could I forget tres leeches cake!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    Yellow cake and chocolate icing.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png