CurlTalk

layers or not?

DarbyDarby Posts: 1,025Registered Users
So, I've had layers forever and I would like to grow my hair to at least shoulder length. Right now my hair is neck level curly. I was talking to the lady who does my facials and I always see her with straight hair. She said, "my hair is very curly but it's easier for me to just pull it back while I'm working on facials so I straighten it when I'm working." I saw it was all one length and asked her about that and curl formation. She said she has big hair when curly (not frizzy tho)and it's quite curly and does spiril nicely. So I wonder if I can go to one layer?? I'm going to try and post a picture of my hair that was taken many years ago. and a picture of what my hair looks like right now. The picture taken a while ago -- I think was almost all one length but maybe some really long layers but not many of them. I don't recall who was cutting my hair back then. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/images/attach/jpg.gif

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/images/attach/jpg.gif

Me holding the dog is the old picture and the other one was taken just now. OMG -- I HATE having my picture taken!!!! ICK! Just look at the hair LOL
PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b

Comments

• LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Posts: 392Registered Users
    I love both lengths on you! But if I had to choose I would choose the 1 layer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

• HouseofcurlsHouseofcurls Posts: 322Registered Users
    I generally think that curls should not be one length because its hard for curls to really have the movement they need when all one length.
    Layers allow the curl to move, bounce and be good. But, there is no steadfast rule for everyone and every persons hair.
    Rae ~ 2c/3a ~
    Wife to a 3c Curly Guy
    Mom to a straight and a curly.

"The Longer the Hair, the Bigger the Blob."

Porous, very dense but fine hair. Medium everything else.
    CoWash: Tressemee naturals
    RO: Generic biolage and generic joico k-pak
    LI: Tresemee
    Miss Jessie's Pillow soft curls, diffuse 50%, add KCCC and diffuse to 80%.
    Always wash upside down.
  • DarbyDarby Posts: 1,025Registered Users
    I wish I had taken more pictures of my hair that day :( Back of head etc... Because I sure can't remember back that far. But looking at it, it does have some layers but they are long. Looks like the shortest layer is nose level and then I can't tell what the rest is doing - looks to be kind of blended?
    I'm going to take that picture in to my deva stylist next time and just tell her I want that look again. Right now I have shorter layers but my hair is much shorter too and I want length now.
    PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
    Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    Let it grow longer then and then trim it until it's all one length. If your hair starts to lose shape and the curls get stringy you can always reshape and put the layers back in. You look good with both shoulder and neck length hair so it's not like there's a big risk. Just play with it. :angel8:
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

• Aqua_LilyAqua_Lily Posts: 557Registered Users
    It both looks great on you! :) But I think the longer hair looks best :)
    4-2.png
    Current length: tailbone
    Goal length: mid-thigh (wet)
    3A/2C M iii med por, high elast

HGs:
    Clarify: Nivea
    Lo-poo: Nature's Gate
    CW: Elvive Volume Collagen
    RO: EO Keratin, Desert Essence Raspberry

LI: Elvive volume collagen, KCKT
    Seal: Grapeseed oil
    Gel: Studioline