CurlTalk

Tired of it...the cone controversy.

MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Yes, I am tired of it. I feel - well, duped. I know that this phase will pass, but I no longer buy into the mantra about cones being bad. For the past many days I have been using a conditioner with dimethicone; and today, I used CK and 3 in 1 mousse, at my stylists' (got my roots done). My hair looks great. She used my products, and I only got the roots done. I cannot speak for anyone else but I am concluding that there is no universal evil in the use of cones.

Comments

• MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users
    I've been using cones for months. Yeah, I end up clarifying more often then I was when I was CG, but that's also kept my scalp happy...

My hair looks as good or better then it did on CG.
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users
    I don't think they're bad, either. One of the reasons it was advised to stay away from 'cones was that if you're not doing anything but co-washing, you're going to eventually have buildup. And if you're doing hard-core CG, that means no shampoo at all, so 'cones would be a bad idea. Anyone who uses shampoo, even low-poo, can probably use 'cones with no problem. One of my favorite conditioners right now has 'cones in it, but I use shampoo so I don't worry about it. My hair is fine.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    JLeighs wrote: »
    I don't think they're bad, either. One of the reasons it was advised to stay away from 'cones was that if you're not doing anything but co-washing, you're going to eventually have buildup. And if you're doing hard-core CG, that means no shampoo at all, so 'cones would be a bad idea. Anyone who uses shampoo, even low-poo, can probably use 'cones with no problem. One of my favorite conditioners right now has 'cones in it, but I use shampoo so I don't worry about it. My hair is fine.

THIS!! They are only a problem when you aren't washing!

If they work for you, go for it!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    'Cones are the only thing that can control my crazy coarse hair and make it feel like real human hair, so I don't buy into 'cones being evil -- especially when coca betaine is enough to remove them! You don't need super harsh sulfates. I love my silicones and how soft and manageable my hair is now.
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • SandiSandi Posts: 364Registered Users
    I don't think it's as much of a controversy as people simply recommending (with different degrees of forcefulness) what works for them.

My hair doesn't like silicones. It laughs at them all--- dimethicone, amodimethicone (took me a while to figure this one out), methicone, and the -xanes. (And I do wash with a low-poo on a semi-regular basis...)

It just has never worked. Ever.

I realize that a lot of people have success with cones, but I can, with a good amount of confidence, say that I'm never going to be one of those people.

The end mantra, of course, would just be: Do what works for you.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • wholelottalovewholelottalove Posts: 168Registered Users
    Yup, I'll still use my cones a long as I'm using cleanser with coco betaine, or even glucosides. I will use a shampoo that contains a gentle sulfate every once in a whole but not even because I have to, I just happen to like a shampoo that contains sodium myreth sulfate. Dimethicone and amodimethicone work really well for me. However, I will say that I still think cyclopentasiloxane is evil, my hair hates that stuff, lol
    3a
    medium/thick
    Loves protein and oils

Low-poo: MopTop gentle shampoo
    Co-wash: CJDF, Jessicurl Aloeba
    RO: Jessicurl Too Shea, MopTop daily conditioner, CJ rehab, CJ strengthening
    LI: ^^^
    DT: Jessicurl WDT, SS Deeply Decadent
    PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 min
    Oils: argan, sweet almond, jessicurl oil blend
    Stylers: SS firm hold, SS curl enhancing jelly, Kiss My Face Upper Management gel, AG Recoil
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    I've found that my hair does does fine with cones in styling products, but not so much with cones in conditioners. However, after reading Myrna's recent thread about her new conditioner, I'm willing to try again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't find it very controversial, just different opinions. Like any other hair product, it will work for some and not for others.
    My hair does not do well with cones. It gets dry and breaks off and just gets worse and worse the more I use them. But for others it works just fine.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    I think the thing to keep in mind with silicones is that you dont over do it. I use them when I need them and not when I dont.

Winter time for me is easy to follow CG but summer is very challenging for me with frizz. I try to keep the silicones to stylers and maybe a conditioner. It leaves me having to wash daily or most days at least. I do think you will see the effects of silicones if you use them long term. Actually I dont think its the silicone as much as the shampooing to remove them.

I say use them when you need them and go back to CG when you dont.
  • CauCau Posts: 38Registered Users
    Amodimethicone for me don't work , gave me build up. :-(

I'm still looking and testing a sealant that suits my hair. And at least now, wouldn't want to test silicones.

See, I'm not saying that the silicones are bad. I know its good effects, such as: softness, shine, better manageability. But my big question is: can we compare cones to oils when we talk about treatment and not simply "makeup"?
    3b/c - fine texture - normal/high porosity (from coloring)

Personal Website
  • christina.grchristina.gr Posts: 30Registered Users
    I wish the same would apply to sulfates-l like bubbly shampoo & so does my hair. Its not evil if your hair agrees w/it.
    As for cones, absolutely cannot use it in any form-one way street to a head full of frizz, same for co-washing, oils, and proteins, but that doesn't mean they should be banned like some CG'ers would have you believe.
    My mom on the other hand, can use every cone known to man on her baby fine cherub curls...gasp! brush them into wave and still has perfect healthy hair, go figure!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Back on the CG wagon!:toothy2:
    Hair Type: 2c/3a winter, low porosity, protein sensitive
    (Cleanse w/Distilled water only)
    Shampoo: Baking soda & brown sugar
    Condish: Sauve Naturals green apple or aloe waterlily
    Rinse: ACV
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styler: homemade flaxseed gel, topped w/KC Spiral Spritz
    DT: veg. glycerin mixed w/conditioner
    "Life's a garden. Dig it." :toothy4:
    Cau wrote: »

I'm still looking and testing a sealant that suits my hair. And at least now, wouldn't want to test silicones.

See, I'm not saying that the silicones are bad. I know its good effects, such as: softness, shine, better manageability. But my big question is: can we compare cones to oils when we talk about treatment and not simply "makeup"?

Have you tried mineral oil for sealing?? It's my HG!

I know some silicones like a-cone actually target damaged areas. So for some that may be beneficial.

I have heard others says a-cone built up on them, but in reading today I've learned that that's not technically possible. I'm not saying that it didnt give you problems, but perhaps it wasn't build up?

I also learned that its possible in a lot of cases the build up is happening because of two different ingredients that don't like to play together, and not the cones. Especially if you aren't using a "matching" poo and condish. (A lot of that is in that link I posted above.)

I agree the key is likely "don't over-do".
    I was thinking today that in my pre-CG days I was using a sulfate poo and coney condish, then different cones in my LI and curl-booster products. Plus I often used a shine spray! (COOOONES!!!)

So maybe ONE product with a cone or two is not going to be at all equatable to my (and many others) pre-CG routines! So I'm going to experiment a little and see how it goes....

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    'cones in conditioners make my hair flat. However, when I'm really tangled, they do the trick.

I like to switch it up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • EricachristinaEricachristina Posts: 496Registered Users
    Well when I started reading about cones I was a bit undecided myself, there seems to be benefits as well as problems with using them but it really depends on the individual.
    I use whatever conditioner I like I don't worry so much about the cones because I don't have issues with them building up on my hair. I use a sulfate free shampoo that lathers up adequately and removes them from my hair.
    I don't really know if they create a barrier for moisture but I haven't seen any evidence of this with my hair.
    I do try to use my shampoo on the days I want to do a deep treatment but I can go weeks using conditioners with cones and co-washing my hair without getting build up.
  • LadyPlymdaleLadyPlymdale Posts: 24Registered Users
    Before thing CG, I never had a problem with cones. I was washing everyday with a sulfate 'poo & straightening, so cones kept my hair smooth & frizz free.

After starting CG (modified at first), I found gentler surfactants, like coco betane, didn't remove all the water-soluble cones from my hair, even though they were supposed to. I never co-wash exclusively, so that wasn't a problem.

Of course, it all depends on the individual, hair properties, water quality, washing technique, etc...

I always sound like a zealot, but in my personal experience, polyquats & cationics build up on my hair way worse than cones ever did. Many of the cone-free products are loaded with them & it took me a long time to realize why my curls was limp, dull & stringy. Normal 'poos (anionic) only make them cling tighter to the hair shaft, compounding the problem.

Again, though, some curlies love 'quats, so your mileage may vary.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlTalk App

2C/3A--med-coarse, slightly porous (highlighted), very dry & protein sensitive

No-Poo: Naturally Amari Berry No-Poo (w/o Aloe & Horsetail)

Condition: Suave Daily Clarifying & Sun-Ripened Strawberry

Stylers: 4Naturals Spring Back, L'oreal Everstyle Curl Defining Gel

Avoiding: sulfates, ‘cones, parabens, polyquats/cationics (except stearamidopropyl dimethylamine), most proteins/extracts.
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    Okay...I don't think it's some kind of conspiracy. If you co wash, you have to be cautious of what's in your conditioner because build up can happen. Imagine someone heard of co-washing in passing and tried to co-wash with a conditioner full of cones and then used RO and LI full of cones. They probably wouldn't have a very pleasant experience. Obviously since you are using shampoo, you don't have to be hyper sensitive to build up. You could even suggest that a little build up might be a buffer between surfactants and your hair.

It's all common sense. You don't follow anything word for word without taking in context and intent.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
  • elizardelizard Posts: 284Registered Users
    What are cationics?
    2b/c wavy modified CG since July 2012
    medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    hair likes protein, doesn't like oils, easily OC'd

low poo: JCHCC, CJGCS
    RO/co-wash/LI: YTCarrots, DB Pumpkin Seed
    stylers: a bunch of stylers that are all pretty much the same (KCCC, UFDCM, CRCM, CKCJ) or ArcAngel if I need more hold
    DT/PT: CJRM, CNPF
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    I didn't know there was a mantra that silicones were bad. I thought it was just a matter of they work for some people and not for others. I cowash several times a week. Silicones will seem okay on the first wash but by the second wash it's a dry disaster because my hair is very prone to buildup. I avoid all cones in all forms and that makes my hair happy. I think everyone should do what makes their hair happy. There are other ingredients my hair hates too like PVP but I'm not dogging PVP.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    Jas76 wrote: »
    Cau wrote: »

Have you tried mineral oil for sealing?? It's my HG!

I know some silicones like a-cone actually target damaged areas. So for some that may be beneficial.

I have heard others says a-cone built up on them, but in reading today I've learned that that's not technically possible. I'm not saying that it didnt give you problems, but perhaps it wasn't build up?

I also learned that its possible in a lot of cases the build up is happening because of two different ingredients that don't like to play together, and not the cones. Especially if you aren't using a "matching" poo and condish. (A lot of that is in that link I posted above.)

I agree the key is likely "don't over-do".
    I was thinking today that in my pre-CG days I was using a sulfate poo and coney condish, then different cones in my LI and curl-booster products. Plus I often used a shine spray! (COOOONES!!!)

So maybe ONE product with a cone or two is not going to be at all equatable to my (and many others) pre-CG routines! So I'm going to experiment a little and see how it goes....

I had all symptoms of buil up, and was using just a single product with amodimethicone (Fresh Curls - Redken). When I stopped using, I improved. Then I went back to using, and again I had build up. But, I have to agree with you, I wasn't using a "matching".

About mineral oil... wow!...
    After reading your post, I have been searching on it and I was excited about what I read. I had not considered using mineral oil, for it be derived from petroleum. However, from what I read it looks like it may be the sealant I need.

Has Mineral Oil Gotten A Bad Rap?

Hairloss and Topical Coconut Oil Pre-Wash-The Ultimate Hair Conditioner

Here in Brazil it is summer, and this year is particularly dry. It is difficult to keep moisture, DC and PT. So, I'm going to try the mineral oil as a sealant. I hope it's my HG too!... (:

Thanks Jas... :flower:

Personal Website
    Girls... I agree with all of you...

I think the most important thing is what we are doing here: keep our minds open. :)

Personal Website
    Well, I did it. I used a condish with amodimethicone.

My hair does feel a little different. It looks a little more healthy at the ends, I must admit.

I think the real test will be the next co-wash, and then the nest low-poo. I want to see if I have any trouble with moisture. If I like the effects of it but moisture becomes a concern, I'll try DT's after low pooing (so the cones are off) and see if that makes a difference.

I felt like I was committing a crime when I put the condish in - lol!

Wish me luck!!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users
    I like this thread. :-)

I'm about to go over to the dark side, too. I've been experimenting with mousse lately and I always see everyone raving about Suave's Captivating Curls mousse (contains dimethicone). So I bought a bottle and it's been sitting on my counter for a few days. It's strange - I want to try it, but the thought of using it makes me feel strangely disloyal, plus I have this irrational fear that I'm going to ruin 2.5 years of work being CG and getting my hair to where it is now. I know it's irrational, so I *am* going to use it later today, as soon as I rinse out my DT. Part of me wants it to work great, and part of me wants it to fail miserably. How can I be so conflicted over a stupid hair product? Lol!
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    Rustina wrote: »
    Part of me wants it to work great, and part of me wants it to fail miserably. How can I be so conflicted over a stupid hair product? Lol!

I totally relate. I think I still have higher standards for non-CG products. As irrational as it is, I know that I'm more willing to tolerate mediocre results from CG products while I expect nothing short of consistent excellence from the non-CG stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    It took a long time for me to see the results of daily silicone use. I seen it in how I couldnt get enough moisture in to control frizz. Once you have healthy hair and know how to keep it healthy you should be fine playing with some cones for awhile. You will know by what issues pop up that you cant solve. I was trying protein to get my limp frizzy curls to curl up more. Turns out it was the cones not letting moisture in. Went back to CG for now but come summer I may need those cones again. I find if you have to use a sulfate shampoo the suave professionals almond and shea butter seems less stripping to me.
    Well, I had good hair, I must admit. It definitely FEELS different, tho. Softer, maybe, but it really does feel coated with silicone/plastic. Not necessarily in a bad way, but I feel it. It feels... Slick.

I will say the ends look healthier and less damaged. They feel a little dry, but I'm likely over-analyzing, and they probably felt just a dry before the cone.

May wait until tomorrow to rewet/co-wash, we'll see. I'm very curious how it will behave with a co-washing. Then we'll see how it does after a low-poo in a couple days.

Then... I'll have to decide whether to reapply the cones or not! Lol! I'm experimenting with using them in my condish, and with using them as a LI for sealing.

I'm hoping now that I understand how they work and am aware of how much I'm using, how often, etc, I'll he able to keep the build-up and drying issues from happening, unlike in my pre-CG days. That seems logical and probable, right??

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • JulesonlineJulesonline Posts: 444Registered Users

I'm about to go over to the dark side, too. I've been experimenting with mousse lately and I always see everyone raving about Suave's Captivating Curls mousse (contains dimethicone). So I bought a bottle and it's been sitting on my counter for a few days. It's strange - I want to try it, but the thought of using it makes me feel strangely disloyal, plus I have this irrational fear that I'm going to ruin 2.5 years of work being CG and getting my hair to where it is now. I know it's irrational, so I *am* going to use it later today, as soon as I rinse out my DT. Part of me wants it to work great, and part of me wants it to fail miserably. How can I be so conflicted over a stupid hair product? Lol!

I used to use that product but it left my hair feeling coated. With regards to the curl, I get the same results with my gel, and plopping. It is a good product though. When I used it, I was impressed with the curl definition.
    JulesOnline
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3A/B? A corkicelli mix of ringlets, spirals, helixes & s-shaped curls
    Medium-fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Summer: pink; Winter: Blue; Year Round: green
    Lo-Poo:Giovanni SAS sulfate free poo, L'Oreal Evercream CC
    Co-wash: TNRV, VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TNNM
    RO/LI:
    YTC, Nexxus Hydra-light w/ CNPF GVPCB, Biolage CB, TNNM, Giovanni SAS
    Styler: KCCC FSG, BRHG, LALSG

• MarciMarci Posts: 225Registered Users
    This has been an interesting post, as I only last week went to "the dark side" myself. I bought the Hello Hydration conditioner, it was on sale at Walmart so I just went for it. I have been using it as a leave in and WOW! With CG products I was able to get beautiful curls for a day, maybe two. With a squirt of this stuff, 5 day curls! Mind, by day 5 my hair ended up in a pony, but the curls were still defined. I think for the (almost) year that I was CG, the regimen served its purpose. My hair got healthier and grew a ton but now I need an easier routine. Great thread ladies :)
    2C-3A MBL layered
    Medium/fine texture, high density, normal porosity and elasticity. Dry climate.

Cleanse: SM MR, YTC
    Hydrate: Joico Kpak,DevaCurl OC
    Style: AG reCoil, LALSG

• Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users

How'd you end up liking the mousse? It's my absolute favorite product
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users
    Laura Lee wrote: »
    How'd you end up liking the mousse? It's my absolute favorite product
    Call the CG police - DIMETHICONE IS IN MY HAIR RIGHT NOW!! I rinsed out my DT, put in my LI, raked in the mousse, then scrunched in KCCC. The mousse felt very silky going in, much like the CG mousse I tried (Pantene Silky Moisture Whip). I plopped, pixie-diffused my waiver parts, and now it's clipped and air drying. My hair looks curlier, but that could also be attributed to the DT. I still have the normal amount of canopy frizz (not a ton, just a few hairs that insist on doing their own thing), so the real tests for me will be a) how does it look/feel when totally dry, b) how does it hold up through the day, and c) can I go two more days without washing and not have my hair feel or look gross. Stay tuned, I will update!
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010