CurlTalk

What is your favorite "exotic" fruit?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I mean, other than apples and oranges and bananas or other super common fruits here in the US (or wherever you live)?

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Passion fruit
    Loquats
    Cherimoyas
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love fruit and wish I lived in a part of the world that has many interesting and unusual kinds. I will try anything I find in the stores and farmers markets here.

My favorite non-apple/orange fruits are mango, kiwi, tomatillos, prickly pears, pomegranate, any unusual melons.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Are pomegranates super common? I like them.

The flavors of passion fruit and star fruit are good, but I don't like the texture.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Oooh I've never had a starfruit before. It's very cool looking!
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Guavas
    Passionfruit
    Guanabana aka soursop
    Limoncillos aka guinep, mamoncillo, chenette, quenepa, etc
    Lychee

Not exotic, but not eaten by many and that I love are persimmons and kumquats.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not exotic, but seems a lot have not tried it, but I love pomelo. Yummy with a little salt & pepper!!!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    i never know the names of the friuts. but my international friends always give me something and say, "eat this, you will like it" and i eat it and i llike it. the names i can either never remember or never pronouce so i just go with it. i do know i love me some lychee nuts. and this other pink colored fruit that reminds me of lychee nuts but have these soft pink prickly things on the surface. i also like a type of mango that is yellow and way more sweeter than the kind i'm use to getting in the states.
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    Saria wrote: »
    Guavas
    Passionfruit
    Guanabana aka soursop
    Lychee

Saria where are you from? That's all the stuff I grew up eating in the D.R.
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    Probably blood orange.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    I don't know if this is exotic but I love mangoes!
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    Lychee, mangos and kiwis. I know they are not that exotic but I like them for not liking fruit in general.
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    guanabana
    quenepa
    star fruit

I've always wanted to try dragon fruit. It looks so pretty.
    3c/4a
    Guavas
    Passionfruit
    Guanabana aka soursop
    Lychee

Oh yes. And Guavas! I love those!
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    Arrayan
    Tamarindo
    guanabana (delicious! I love these!!)
    guayaba
    Lima (I've only had in agua)
    Mango

A new fruit that I really like: olallieberries.

The one I try to like but seems too dry: nances. Its a shame too because an aunt has a ton of them because of the tree in her back yard.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Jackfruit
    Mango

Passion fruit eaters, how do you eat them? In Uganda, passion fruit is typically served as juice--is there another good way?
    ehLB.jpg
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Mangosteen
    Rambutan (I think I might've also tried Longan, and I believe I remember liking it! They're sort of in a similar family, along with Lychee)
    Dragon fruit

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • EricachristinaEricachristina Posts: 496Registered Users
    Curlyminx wrote: »
    Arrayan
    Tamarindo
    guanabana (delicious! I love these!!)
    guayaba
    Lima (I've only had in agua)
    Mango

A new fruit that I really like: olallieberries.

The one I try to like but seems too dry: nances. Its a shame too because an aunt has a ton of them because of the tree in her back yard.

My family calls guanabana sour sop
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyb5WOYkOC5PgVtiKEunCvCoFUuvqO9r-0HkR_Y0hf-p3dPluE
    Dragon fruit
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    granadilla (in Tanzania we called them mountain passion fruit)
    pomelo
    persimmon
    lychee
    kiwi
    sour sop
    pluots
    olallieberries

I tried a grapple once, that was just weird and wrong.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • LayaliLayali Posts: 561Registered Users
    custard apple
    passionfruit
    acai berries
    guava
    papaya
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    Grapples are gross.
    3c/4a
  • violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users
    guava -haven't seen one of these since the tree my mom had growing up.
    mangoes
    quenepas
    There was another tree we had growing up something similar to a cherry- Acerola
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    OBB wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyb5WOYkOC5PgVtiKEunCvCoFUuvqO9r-0HkR_Y0hf-p3dPluE
    Dragon fruit

That is beautiful. I had never heard of dragon fruit so I looked it up and saw it tastes like a cross between kiwi and pear. If this is accurate, I would love it. Those are 2 of my favorite fruits.

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to try many exotic fruits. I will never forget the first time I saw, and ate a kiwi. It was exciting. I love mangos, and a few others that were mentioned.

As Saria said, persimmons and kumquats are not exotic but they are harder for me to find now. Persimmon trees are native to NC and were everywhere when I was little. Kumquats adapted well in my area, but you can no longer find either in the woods.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    Guavas
    Passionfruit
    Lychee

Plus pomegranates, tomatillos, starfruit, yuzu and dragon fruit

I like sour fruit that is not super sweet, so I typically prefer fruit that is not quite or just becoming ripe. Many of these fruit stay sour even when ripe so they're favorites.
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
    dia99 wrote: »
    Guavas
    Passionfruit
    Lychee

Plus pomegranates, tomatillos, starfruit, yuzu and dragon fruit

I like sour fruit that is not super sweet, so I typically prefer fruit that is not quite or just becoming ripe. Many of these fruit stay sour even when ripe so they're favorites.

Me too on the tart fruit! I love yuzu! Tamarind is another favorite.
    I don't like dragon fruit because I find it just sweet and bland.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    sarah42 wrote: »
    Jackfruit
    Mango

Passion fruit eaters, how do you eat them? In Uganda, passion fruit is typically served as juice--is there another good way?

You poke a hole with your teeth at the top and suck out the goods. Or use a spoon. :lol: I ate so many growing up! I love the crunchy seeds.

I can buy guavas here at Indian or Latin supermarkets, but they're like $4.50/lb, so one guava sets you back $9. I still buy them if I see them. :)
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Dragon fruit is so beautiful. I've never had one but if it tastes anything like dragon fruit Vitamin Water, I would be addicted.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,760Registered Users
    Tomatillo? I ve always thought of it as a vegetable. Am I interpreting the word right? Those green tomatoes used in 'salsas'?

If it s a fruit I ll try it!!! :)

My favorite:

Guanábana
    Guaya
    Lychee
    Drangon fruit
    Zapote
    Chicozapote
    Lima
    Limon real (a very sweet kind of lemon)
    3a/b, CG mostly.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    Living in paradise means I get to eat (regularly) a lot of the exotic fruits that you guys like.

I miss star apples though, haven't had any in a while.
    I freaked when I saw a sugar apple in HK because I had been missing those.
    Locally, I love guineps (yum) and Otaheite apples (with salt), guavas are a special class of love.

I know this is going to sound so mundane to most of you because you are surrounded by them all the time, but I love grapes and strawberries.
    I want to try dragon fruits.I saw them when Iw as HK but never went to buy one. I kick myself about that all the time.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "