Rave: Jergens fixed my skin! (No Aloe)

EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I know that this board is usually used to ask for product advice, but I love Jergen's Shea Butter moisturizer so much, I really wanted to post a review.

I get weird, dry skin on my hands, in cycles. It started a few years ago. I can't think of a catalyst, but it's gotten more severe over time. Anyway, the cycle is longer when it's warm, and shorter when it's cool. After being normal for 2+ weeks, a "crust" of dry skin will gradually build up on/between three fingers of my left hand and two fingers of my right. I should mention that it's not gross--there's no discharge or anything, but it has a bumpy texture. Eventually, it encases my fingers to the point that I can barely move them, and I need to soak my hands and scrape the dry skin off with a towel. I saw a dermatologist about it a year ago and didn't really get a diagnosis, but was told to use moisturizer regularly (jeez, ya think?).

Anyway, I tried all different kinds of moisturizers (petrolatum-based, oil/butter-based, glycerin-based, layering different types together), but all they did was lubricate. I could move my fingers--until I washed my hands and the moisturizer came off, anyway. But nothing made the dry skin disappear. It was like putting oil in a rusty hinge, but leaving the rust in there. You can probably guess where this is going. This particular Jergen's moisturizer has kept the "crust" at a negligible level. Hooray!

The first four ingredients are water, shea butter, cetearyl alcohol, and glycerin (best of all worlds!). The rest of the ingredients are humectants, butters, silicones, and preservatives. Plus, there's no aloe!! I know that there are some people here who are allergic in aloe, which seems to be in pretty much everything. Although the moisturizer is *very* slippery at first, it soaks in quickly. This is why I apply two or three dime-size dollops, one at a time. The smell is cloying and marshmallow-y, but it fades after a few minutes. If you enjoy "sugar" scents like Aquolina, you won't mind it. I can't remember how much I paid, but it was reasonably cheap.

Anyway, I'm really glad I found this moisturizer. Er...The End.

Comments

• ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been using Jergen's Shea Butter and also the Skin Smoothing moisturizer and I really like both. I was disappointed when they discontinued the Ash Relief formula, but so far I'm pleased with the results of the new ones. I think I'll try the Cellular Renewal formula next. It's nice that I can experiment with so many different types for the same price as what I would pay for my Kiehl's Creme de Corps.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    yee haw!!!

it's always great to find something that really works - and it's a double bonus when it's not expensive!

:D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    thanks for sharing! it's time for me to buy some new lotion!!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Eilonwy does the lotion have mineral oil or petroleum in it?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    luvmylocs wrote:
    Eilonwy does the lotion have mineral oil or petroleum in it?

It has both. Petrolatum is the fourth ingredient, and mineral oil is the last ingredient before the preservatives. The silicones are also derived from petrochemicals, anyway, if that's what your concern is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file