We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Curious...favorite presidential hopefuls

pongwenchpongwench Posts: 8Registered Users
Not to start any fierce arguments, but the discussions on Kerry & Kucinich have gotten me curious about which of the possible presidential choices people are leaning towards (that and I was up all night last night -- whoever said all-nighters were only for college kids -- so I'm not getting much done at work ;))
snowball.gif
NetG hit me!
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• BookishCurlyBookishCurly Posts: 75Registered Users
    I would prefer a Democrat to win, but, unfortunately, I think it will be this clown again.

bush_worldnotenough5.jpg
    "A thing of beauty is a joy forever: It's loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; but will still keep a bower quiet for us, and a sleep full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing."... John Keats. (Endymion, Book I, 1-5)
  • ZippyElfZippyElf Posts: 10Registered Users
    I would prefer a Democrat to win, but, unfortunately, I think it will be this clown again.

bush_worldnotenough5.jpg

OMG! hahaha!! Die Bush.... *grumble* I want a democrat too. Stupid bush.... merg
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
  • Confused CurlyConfused Curly Posts: 229Registered Users

bush_worldnotenough5.jpg

That is hilarious but where is the evil Cheney? He has to be that bald villian in the 70s James Bond movies that was always feeling up that poor cat. The one that looks like Dr. Evil.

Anyway, I don't have a favorite. I want whoever can beat Bush. I've heard that Dean is not that person so someone else would be nice. Since "I don't care" isn't an option I didn't vote in the poll.

Rev. Al would be funny. Picture him in his curlers during a late night emergency!
    Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.
    --Unknown, presumed deceased
  • pongwenchpongwench Posts: 8Registered Users
    That is hilarious but where is the evil Cheney? He has to be that bald villian in the 70s James Bond movies that was always feeling up that poor cat. The one that looks like Dr. Evil.

Blowfeld, I think his name is. Too funny.
    Anyway, I don't have a favorite. I want whoever can beat Bush. I've heard that Dean is not that person so someone else would be nice. Since "I don't care" isn't an option I didn't vote in the poll.

Hmm. See, I think that Dean may either be the only person who can beat Bush. I too like many of Kucinich's ideas, and admire his principles, but I'm skeptical that he can win over the swing voters. Clark is another favorite of mine -- and I do like Edwards. I'm sort of hoping that the primary will sort this out -- that's what it supposed to do, right? ;)
    snowball.gif
    NetG hit me!
  • msrandeemsrandee Posts: 61Registered Users
    Lol, Megadeth! I picked Kucinich, but anybody but Bush will do. Kucinich stands behind what he believes in, even if it's not popular at the time. To go against the President and a popular war takes courage, and I admire him for that. He may be too liberal for America now, but I think we're headed in that direction.
    Ok, I picked Kucinich. I don't think he'll win so I probably won't vote for him if its still close by the time it gets to California. But the question is who is my FAVORITE, not who can beat Bush. He is my favorite.

My least favorite is Leiberman. And yes, I know Bush is on the list.
    MLee wrote:
    Lol, Megadeth! I picked Kucinich, but anybody but Bush will do. Kucinich stands behind what he believes in, even if it's not popular at the time. To go against the President and a popular war takes courage, and I admire him for that. He may be too liberal for America now, but I think we're headed in that direction.

I hope so!

Currently, I guess I'm feeling a little skeptical...
    snowball.gif
    NetG hit me!
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    Nobody knows for sure, of course, including me, but my belief is Dean's pet dog can beat Bush more easily than Dean can. I think there's a reason republicants are hoping Dean is the nominee b/c they're pretty confident and I don't blame them. Dean isn't going to sell well to middle America. If Dean is the nominee, I hope Hillary gets in b/c then the Dems have a chance.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I can't vote for Dean, he interrupted my drinking.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • BookishCurlyBookishCurly Posts: 75Registered Users
    I'm glad you all liked my post of Bush as Bond. I thought it was pretty funny too. I got it off the Sex Pistols site I post on. :D
    If anyone else wants to go there, it is www.sex-pistols.co.uk . The section you will be looking for is Funnies

I will probably be voting for Dean. However, unless Bush really messes up in the next year, I see him being president again. :cry:
    "A thing of beauty is a joy forever: It's loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; but will still keep a bower quiet for us, and a sleep full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing."... John Keats. (Endymion, Book I, 1-5)
    mandyv wrote:
    Nobody knows for sure, of course, including me, but my belief is Dean's pet dog can beat Bush more easily than Dean can. I think there's a reason republicants are hoping Dean is the nominee b/c they're pretty confident and I don't blame them. Dean isn't going to sell well to middle America. If Dean is the nominee, I hope Hillary gets in b/c then the Dems have a chance.

If Hillary gets in I'll vote Green.
    However, unless Bush really messes up in the next year, I see him being president again. :cry:

I feel the same way! :cry: Unfortunately (and I could not tell you why), he is popular outside of the West and NorthEastern Coasts.

He is so hated in LA that I keep forgetting that.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    mandyv wrote:

:roll: at the idea of Hillary.

I think she was cool once (see: her impromptu valedictory speech following up a politician she didn't like) but now has no beliefs other than trying to pick the stance which will give her most fans at the time.

I voted Kucinich, because all those match your position w/ the candidate sites match me up with him, and I love the idea of his involving John McCain. I would love to see someone who worries about issues rather than political parties.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    Well, since I live in Texas my vote pretty much doesn't count, Bush will win our electoral votes. But I guess I will decide when it gets narrowed down a little more. I don't know enough to make an informed choice at the moment, but I believe I am more of democrat than a republican.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
    NetG wrote:
    mandyv wrote:

:roll: at the idea of Hillary.

I think she was cool once (see: her impromptu valedictory speech following up a politician she didn't like) but now has no beliefs other than trying to pick the stance which will give her most fans at the time.

I voted Kucinich, because all those match your position w/ the candidate sites match me up with him, and I love the idea of his involving John McCain. I would love to see someone who worries about issues rather than political parties.

Do you have a link to the match your position with the candidate sites? That might be fun.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte

bush_worldnotenough5.jpg

I can't vote over in the US, so what I think doesn't matter, I just thought this was funny! :D
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • AustinAustin Posts: 37Registered Users
    My first choice is Jed Bartlett. But since he isn't running, right now I'm for Howard Dean.
    "Time wounds all heels."
    I will probably be voting for Dean. However, unless Bush really messes up in the next year, I see him being president again. :cry:

Does anybody have the clues as to why Bush is still so popular? A 63% approval rating? Someone posted an exhaustingly long list on here of things he has done wrong - if someone could post a list half that long of things he's done right, I might consider him. I don't think I've heard anything positive about him on this board (look at this thread) or anywhere else, just negativity - well deserved, I think. The Democrats do look shabby, but hey, I'd give any one of those candidates a chance over Bush. I do know a few ardent Republicans who are feeling the same, but not many... So why do people still support Bush? Any ideas?
    MLee wrote:
    Does anybody have the clues as to why Bush is still so popular? A 63% approval rating? Someone posted an exhaustingly long list on here of things he has done wrong - if someone could post a list half that long of things he's done right, I might consider him. I don't think I've heard anything positive about him on this board (look at this thread) or anywhere else, just negativity - well deserved, I think. The Democrats do look shabby, but hey, I'd give any one of those candidates a chance over Bush. I do know a few ardent Republicans who are feeling the same, but not many... So why do people still support Bush? Any ideas?

I'm wondering the same thing. I mean, Bush is winning this particular poll. To the people who picked Bush, can you explain why you support him?

Every day, reading the news, I get more and more depressed about how screwed up our country seems, and then, even more depressing, the thought that Bush has a good chance of winning next year. At least if I knew why people supported him, maybe I'd be a little less depressed.
    snowball.gif
    NetG hit me!

Do you have a link to the match your position with the candidate sites? That might be fun.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.selectsmart.com%2FPRESIDENT%2F" class="Popup

I think there are better, but this is the one I managed to find.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

• ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users
    I really don't want to debate this. I am just stating my views since so many asked about Bush supporters.

First off, I voted for him, but he was never my first choice. I wanted McCain (sp?). But since the only other choice turned out to be Gore I went with Bush. I can't stand Gore and I'm not really sure why. I do honestly believe that if he had been president when 9/11 happened we would have had another serious attack on our soil since then.

None of the current Dems have shown me that they will stick to what they say (although I haven't paid close attention to them). That is my main reason for liking Bush. Of course, every politician backtracks some, that's being a human being, but I think with Bush you mostly get from him what he says he will do. I admire that and I admire his stance on good and evil. People seem to forget that we had terroist attacks long before 9/11. I have a friend who had a sister and brother-in-law who worked at the WTC in 1993 the first time it was bombed. Their car was blown up. There was also that Pan Am flight that got blown apart. That old Jewish guy that was shot and thrown off the the cruise ship and the embassies in Africa in 1998. We did basically nothing after those attacks.

I wholeheartedly supported Bush going into Afghanastan. I wish we were doing a better job of controlling the country and bringing law and order to them.

On Iraq I've always had mixed feelings. I have heard on a radio talk show that there is actual evidence linking Iraq to Al-Queda and a repporter wrote about it in some magazine. But why is that being kept quiet if true? But now that we are there we have to finish the job. I am disappointed with how that is going also, but I'm afraid a Dem might pull us out too soon.

I also am more in tune with Republicans economically. I happen to like the tax cuts, I believe that businesses have to have tax relief to create new jobs. It amazes me that people seem to forget that big corporations provide hundreds of thousands of jobs. I am unhappy about all of the spending, (and with the war a lot of it can't be helped right now), but I hope an improving economy will help the deficit. I live in CA and we are taxed to death. Only NY pays more in taxes than us (from what I've heard). I think if people could keep more of the money they make it would help everyone in the long run. I know I would donate more to charity than I do now if I had more take home pay.

I think with Bush in office we might make much more progress against terror than without him and that is my number 1 priority. I feel safer with Bush in office than any democrat.

These are my opinions.
  • lemondaisylemondaisy Posts: 3Registered Users
    The reason I support President Bush is twofold:
    a) I truly believe that he is a man of integrity and I trust that he is doing/will do the best he can to protect our country/make it continue to be the best place to live, and

b) WHY, oh WHY, would I, or anyone else for that matter, want to vote for someone who believes that "we should not prejudge Osama bin Laden" , a.k.a. Howard Dean? :shock: :shock:
    lemondaisy wrote:
    b) WHY, oh WHY, would I, or anyone else for that matter, want to vote for someone who believes that "we should not prejudge Osama bin Laden" , a.k.a. Howard Dean? :shock: :shock:

''As a president, I would have to defend the process of the rule of law. But as an American, I want to make sure he gets the death penalty he deserves,'' Dean told The Associated Press in a phone interview."

--Dean
    snowball.gif
    NetG hit me!
  • lemondaisylemondaisy Posts: 3Registered Users
    pongwench wrote:
    lemondaisy wrote:

''As a president, I would have to defend the process of the rule of law. But as an American, I want to make sure he gets the death penalty he deserves,'' Dean told The Associated Press in a phone interview."

--Dean

Thank you for proving my point, pongwench. Why should we follow "the process of the rule of law" for a criminal who masterminded the murder of 3,000 americans, who is not even a U.S. citizen? Anyone who could even think such a thing is not presidential material in my mind. But, as a republican, I do hope he gets the nomination, and that he keeps saying things like that.
    lemondaisy wrote:
    Thank you for proving my point, pongwench. Why should we follow "the process of the rule of law" for a criminal who masterminded the murder of 3,000 americans, who is not even a U.S. citizen? Anyone who could even think such a thing is not presidential material in my mind. But, as a republican, I do hope he gets the nomination, and that he keeps saying things like that.

Because we elect a president to be better than we can be. To do the "right" thing when the right thing is not easy or satisfying. And to always uphold the law, even when it's not politically beneficial.

For more practical reasons, catching Osama and killing him w/o a trial would simply make more people who hate us, and possibly lead to more 9-11 type occurrences.

My need for revenge is not so great as to blind me to all of this.
    snowball.gif
    NetG hit me!
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think sdcurly and I think alike on this issue. I couldn't have stated my views any better than she did.

As sdcurly said, I don't wish to debate my stand but will offer some reasons why I support Bush.

I have avoided a lot of the arguments regarding the war but will state what I feel, whether you agree or not -- I wish there had been a better solution, but I believe what Bush did was right. I believe in my mind that if we had not gone into Iraq now, the situation would have only gotten worse and the consequences would be far greater to the US years down the road. I think the link between Iraq and terrorists was just beginning and was only going to get stronger. There are an awful lot of Americans who don't want to do something, but then again are the first ones to ask why we didn't so something after a situation has gotten out of hand. I don't feel that Bush made any of his decisions based on his personal (or family) vendetta with Hussein. I believe he is truly doing what he believes is the best for our country. I too am afraid a Democrat might get us out of Iraq too soon.

I also have to agree with sdcurly regarding the Republicans and their views on business and finance. They are the ones with the money who are able to invest, provide the jobs we all need and stimulate the economy. They aren't the "bad guy" in my mind. This alone is probably the biggest reason I am a Republican rather than a Democrat.

These are a few of the reasons I backed Bush before and still do. I will honestly say I have been listening to the Democrats. At one time I thought I liked Kerry because he had a seriousness and sophistication about him. . . then he opened his mouth and I haven't agreed with about 75% of what he stands for. I saw an interview with Edwards a while ago and would like to hear more of what he believes in.
    3b/c
  • GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    Clark
    The United States is a 225-year rolling revolution. ... We are the embodiment of the Enlightenment. If we're true to those principles, then it's a foreign policy of generosity, humility, engagement, and of course force where it is needed. But as a last resort."
    "This is an administration which really hasn't respected our allies. If you really want allies, you've got to listen to their opinions, you've got to take them seriously, you've got to work with their issues."
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
    I think anyone who is elected will be for Osama getting what he deserves, if he's ever caught... Maybe if our administration spent more time rooting out Osama and his allies, esp. the ones lurking around in our OWN country instead of dropping bombs on Iraq, he'd be found sooner. There are more terrorists in this country than Iraq, guaranteed. There are supposedly more terrorists harboured in Spain than anywhere else - why don't we bomb Spain? Point is bombing one or two countries will not prevent future terrorist attacks - if anything, it will fuel anger and cause more attacks. That doesn't make me feel any safer. Terror is all over the world - I think starting with our own country will better secure us from imminent danger than focusing attention elsewhere. The Democrats are preying on Bush's mistakes, and that's their ticket in. I'm not saying that a Democrat, once in office, will not repeat the same mistakes, but I have much more faith in them than in Bush at this point. I fear that Bush will put us in another pre-emptive war, which will just mean trouble for this country.
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    Bush is winning this poll? Woo boy, I'm sad now. What's it gonna take...?
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
    lemondaisy wrote:
    pongwench wrote:
    lemondaisy wrote:

--Dean

Because some of us love this country as a place in which every accused criminal gets due process of the law. Because some of us wish to keep this a place in which the accused are fairly tried for their crimes, rather than jailed and held with no charges pressed, or convicted without the right to defend themselves. Some of us see the scary way in which our country has gone due to the patriot act and understand the Constitution and the way the country works well enough to find it scary that we are holding people without trial, without formal charges pressed, and not allowing those individuals to seek legal counsel or contact the outside world.

If you wish to live under the kind of government you propose above-may I suggest Cuba? There are Cuban members of this board who would love to be there if it were not for the government, but your statement, lemondaisy, suggests you would like the governmnent as it is.
    -Speckla

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file