CurlTalk

Rosin/resin-dipped baked potatoes at Cracker Barrel?

....or did I just dream that? I worked a very short, unsuccessful stint there as a waitress in the early 90's and I remember a huge vat of syrupy pine resin and dipping potatoes in it.

I was told that the crackly coating sealed in flakiness and fluffiness and stuff. Surely I can't have just imagined something like this? Anyone?

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

Comments

• cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    I have no idea, but I love their chicken & dumplings and their fried apples. So sad...no cracker barrel near me.... :(
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users
    Yep you remember correctly!

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    I've never heard of this. Sounds interesting, not in a "I want to eat that" way but in a " okay interesting" way.

What does it taste like?
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    goldy wrote: »
    I've never heard of this. Sounds interesting, not in a "I want to eat that" way but in a " okay interesting" way.

What does it taste like?

I remember that the potatoes WERE uncommonly good. Like a regular baked potato, just nice and fluffy and good. I can't recall whether they were cooked in the resin or slipped in after baking.

The skin would be crackly and hard-glazed, and not edible. I just did some googling and read that CB stopped it because customers were eating the skins. Not sure if it's true or not but I can see it happening.

I used to hide back where the vat was bc it was sooo warm and cozy back there. I detested being a waitress but I loved dipping and wrapping the potatoes.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    On what PLANET would any restaurant serve food that's partially inedible? smh
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    On what PLANET would any restaurant serve food that's partially inedible? smh

Not even that it's partially inedible - that it's TOXIC? I mean, you usually eat the potato skin. So serving a baked potato with skin which will kill you? Uhhhh.... duh?
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    This sounded nuts so I had to Google it - apparently this is a pretty common method of baking potatoes, especially outdoors. Who the heck knew? I've found posts about about people eating them at Cracker Barrel and summer camp. I guess people will eat any damn thing.

How to Cook Potatoes With Pine Resin | eHow.com

You can make your own. One source even said FLW's Falling Water had a pot built in just for this purpose.