CurlTalk

Coarse, low-po curlies: Do you like steamers?

vanillatoffeevanillatoffee Posts: 105Registered Users
Hi everyone...to those who are both coarse and low-porosity, can you please share your experience with hair steamers? I'm considering buying one. Thanks!
:icescream: last relaxer: june 2010. bc: october 2010. :happy10:
properties: mix of 3 & 4, high density!!, medium-coarse, protein sensitive, low-normal porosity, cottony, daughter S
hair likes: garnier pure clean conditioner, v05, water & olive oil...that's literally it. so far...
four fat braids every night; moisturize or spray w/ water, seal w/ EVOO every other night.

Comments

• ebonyrose31626ebonyrose31626 Posts: 253Registered Users
    I haven't had it long but so far I am not impressed.
    4c wiry thick nappy low porosity hair
    Poo: SM black soap
    Rise out/Detangler:
    DC/: Avocado+ oil + Honey
    Spritz: Oyin J&B :love10:
    Moisturizer: OH Dew
    Sealant:BSP/Bask tapioca cream
  • dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    Hi
    I am not low-po my hair is a mix of fine and coarse stands.
    I do own a hair steamer and love it. The only thing i would like more is more uses. I love how moisturizing it is. I have added to my regiment this month as i am doing a hair growth challenge to reach my ultimate goal and i think it will help.

Sent from my MB612 using CurlTalk App
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

• HootenannyHootenanny Posts: 300Registered Users
    I'm considering getting a steamer and I would love to hear how you ladies use yours. I've seen some videos of the Q-Redew and I'm wondering if I should get this or a different steamer. Or should get a steamer at all?! Does anyone have any recommendations for uses and/or brands?
    :cat: Medium/coarse, low porosity, dense, mix of 3s :cat:
    CG (again) since Nov. 2012

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention, Elucence MBC, KC Come Clean
    Condish: Giovanni DL, Cure Care, Ion Treatment, GVP Balm, AOHR
    Protein: AOGPB, CNPF, SSRPT
    Stylers: KCCC, SM Souffle, AOMM, SS CEJ, JCRR, JCCC

:cat: Trying out steaming! :cat:
  • dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    Hootenanny wrote: »
    I'm considering getting a steamer and I would love to hear how you ladies use yours. I've seen some videos of the Q-Redew and I'm wondering if I should get this or a different steamer. Or should get a steamer at all?! Does anyone have any recommendations for uses and/or brands?
    I bought the home steamer @ LCL Beauty.com
    Pros: it gets the job done
    *steam hair&face in one session
    Cons: its big and take up space

I spitz my hair with product of choice depending on what im doing the next day. Hot treatment if wash day is the next and pure aloe vera juice if its just for moister.
    I seat under with henna and when i do DT ...Its AWESOME!

The small portable ones have reviews for breaking easily i knew i wanted a hair steamer since i began my journey. Didnt buy mine until last year (investment) and i made sure i purchased a good quality one. It all depends on your budget and what you want. HTH

Sent from my MB612 using CurlTalk App
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

Thanks so much for the info, dee-nature! Sounds like yet another hair-related-item is going on my wish list. :)

• RizosMioRizosMio Posts: 141Registered Users
    I steam my DC while taking a shower. The bathroom looks like a steam room when I'm finished anyway so I figured, hey.... :D why not?
  • secret_karmasecret_karma Posts: 438Registered Users
    My hair is coarse and low porosity and I love my steamer. I have the LCL Beauty steamer too. It makes my hair super soft in 10 minutes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    Thanks to you ladies' advice, I ordered a steamer from LCL a couple of days ago. Should be here within a week! I can't wait!!!! :)

• redbreredbre Posts: 29Registered Users
    Hootenanny wrote: »
    Thanks to you ladies' advice, I ordered a steamer from LCL a couple of days ago. Should be here within a week! I can't wait!!!! :)

Enjoy it! I love my LCL steamer!
  • redbreredbre Posts: 29Registered Users
    I have coarse, low-porosity hair. I have seen a really big difference in my moisture retention since I started steaming. It's still not where I want it to be, but I've made progress.

Steaming with a hot oil treatment is a literal godsend for dry hair. I can't get over how silky my hair is after every pre-poo steam treatment. Hopefully you decided to purchase one. It's a great investment!
    I'm sitting under my new LCL steamer as I write this! Just steamed while doing a PT and now steaming my follow-up DC. Love it! :toothy10:

• Nessa31787Nessa31787 Posts: 42Registered Users
    Hello everyone,

I've been getting my steam treatments in a salon and recently decided to purchase a steamer from LCL. It's supposed to get here this weeks so I'm really excited? What kind of steamer did you ladies order? I ordered the pro 165 so I have the option to use tap water. I've also recently found out that I have low porosity hair, and it answered a lot of questions as to why I was having issues with growing and moisturizing my hair. As far as daily maintenance goes is it ok to moisturize my hair if its dry or would it be a waste of products?
  • JoJoFreeJoJoFree Posts: 110Registered Users
    RizosMio wrote: »
    I steam my DC while taking a shower. The bathroom looks like a steam room when I'm finished anyway so I figured, hey.... :D why not?

I am with you! Th best steamer for free!